New Build - Z Wreck Style

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Koop

Re: New Build - Z Wreck Style

Post by Koop »

Too cool...Joe Walsh and Brad Paisley killing it.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

I really love Walsh's Les Paul with just the bridge pickup! Too cool! Great tones.
MCK

Post by MCK »

DR.Z wrote:Nice job Steve.
You sure have some building chops.
It's on par with Marks.

Now I know were I can find some subcontractor amp builders.

BTW I'm curious, minus your labor how much do you have invested in parts to build that amp?

Also I can see your going to have a problem with your Switchcraft #12 input jack, the alignment of the shorting leg is a failure waiting to happen.
I was forced to stop using the #12's do to high failures and switched to the # 113, FWI.

DR.Z
Congrats to Steve for a beautiful build. Getting this compliment from Dr.Z is just amazing in my humble opinion. Well done!!!

Dr.Z, I am really really really impressed and amazed that you are able to keep a very positive and supportive stance with the building activity in TAG. Not only that you are providing insight into how builders can do better at cloning your flag-ship product, you are openly discussing cost and profit margins which many business owners would keep real close to chest!!! Wow! My hat goes off to you.

I should also add, I own a Z-Wreck from your first batch. I had my name on the wait list when I heard you were working on them and thankfully I was able to afford it when it came out. Thanks for making it happen.

May you have a healthy, happy, prosperous and good new year!
Last edited by MCK on Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DR.Z

Post by DR.Z »

Thanks MCK for the kind words and thoughts.
Now that is a great way to start the new year.

Happy New Year guys.

DR.Z
dreric

Post by dreric »

DR.Z wrote:Thanks MCK for the kind words and thoughts.
Now that is a great way to start the new year.

Happy New Year guys.

DR.Z

Congratulations on the current issue of "Tonequest" Great article, with a lot on the origin of the Z-Wreck.

Dr. Z, you mention that consistency on tubes is one of you biggest expenses say that you're going through 2-3 sets of JJ tubes to get one to you standards. Have you had the same results with other brands? What do you do with the rejects?

Eric
DR.Z

Post by DR.Z »

Congratulations on the current issue of "Tonequest" Great article, with a lot on the origin of the Z-Wreck.

Dr. Z, you mention that consistency on tubes is one of you biggest expenses say that you're going through 2-3 sets of JJ tubes to get one to you standards. Have you had the same results with other brands? What do you do with the rejects?

Eric[/quote]

Thanks Eric.
Yes the quality of all currant production tubes as gone down in the past year or so.
JJ seems to be the worst, followed by Chinese, and lastly Sovtek.
The JJ company should start to sell maracka's, because there tubes RATTLE like hell, EL 84's the most.

I do have stringent testing done on completed amps to test for rattles and the failure rate of JJ's is 60%.
Chinese are a very close second.
Sovtek and the higher priced EH tubes fair better, less rattle but more hum.

I have been testing a new tube from the Sunshine tube plant in Russia, well built but on the bland side when it comes to tone, similar to the Sovtek 12AX7 WB. I hate to have to resort to this but I feel I may soon have no other choice.

I use to eat my bad tubes , I thought of it as shrinkage, cost of doing buisness. But I can not any longer absorb these costs and keep my amp prices resonable. I now RA these tubes back to the supplier for credit.
Boy did Mike Mathews throw a FIT when I sent back 135 bad Tung-Sol 12AX7's.

DR.Z
Last edited by DR.Z on Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Hi Dr. Z,

Happy new year to you. Bummer about the JJs going down hill. I have been using JJ gold pin 12AX7s with some success; do you have any comments about those? I have found them robust (so far). That's too bad about the JJ EL84s as I had hoped to pick some up. I've been using some remaining personal stock of GT EL84 grade 6s with good results. I have some Russian 7189s which I'll keep in reserve I suppose if the JJs continue to slide.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Hi Dr Z and all Happy New Years

I use the JJ brand because I like the tone I am getting.

I tried the Sunshine oversized 12AX7 and did not like them. I didn't find them that low in noise as compared to JJs but then I am only doing a listening test nothing technical :lol:

Liked the new Chinese KT88s tubes though.

Wow doc 60% JJ rattle and failure rate is not good at all, bummer. I better start an online tube sales company soon. :)

Mark
Last edited by M Fowler on Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

steve_p wrote:Hi steve, the labeling is silk screened on the chassis. I had the sheet metal chassis fabricated, and they also did the textured black powder and the silk screening.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Steve
Where'd you get the chassis done?

Approx cost, if you don't mind sharing.
dreric

Post by dreric »

DR.Z wrote:Boy did Mike Mathews throw a FIT when I sent back 135 bad Tung-Sol 12AX7's.DR.Z
Dr. Z,

Good for you! I think one of the reasons we have such inconsistent quality in current production tubes is that the manufactures aren't being held responsible for their product. My own experience, yours, Lord Valves etc. all seem to demonstrate a 50% rejection rate, yet the consumer is left holding the bag......tube.

For a long time I've felt that Matthews should focus more on quality and consistency that what "branding" he puts on the box.

Eric
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Well those guys will just repackage those tubes on reduced sales notice and cheap bastards like me get stuck with them :lol:

Mark
Koop

Post by Koop »

I think the comments regarding tube quality posted by Dr Z raise two important issues. First, we as consumers need to demand higher quality, even if it means an increase in price (I'm not talking about having Chinese or Russian tubes in the NOS price range). Second, it points out the fallacy in shopping for bargain basement tubes. I've had good luck (so far) with JJ EL84s. I buy the Ruby branded tubes (on the assumption that Magic Parts tests as they claim) through Doug Preston (Doug's Tubes) so they're double checked for quality.

Of course I'm not manufacturing amps for anyone but myself and spending extra bucks on tubes isn't ruining my bottom line - I don't have one, it's a hobby! :lol:
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

Hi,
I have on my new Liverpool clone JJs too. But I´m in luck - I have only 25% lost. And this one tube rattles only from time to time.
But with ecc83 I have not one trouble. Opposit: the ecc83s is the humm less tube I have and never microphonic! And this in a Trainwreck! where nearlly every tube becomes micro at V1.
Yust my experience.
BTW is JJ homeland Slovakia my neighborehood, have to give them a credit :D

Hans-Jörg
MCK

Post by MCK »

hans-jörg wrote:BTW is JJ homeland Slovakia my neighborehood, have to give them a credit :D
Hah! No wonder they send you their better stuff!!! Neighbourly love! :lol:
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

Can I ask where I can find the schematic for the Z Wrek style amp? I’m new to this side of the forum and usually hang out in the Dumble side. I’ve been thinking of a new build for a while and like the idea of building a Z Wrek.

Geoff