First post New Amp Build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jeff12

First post New Amp Build

Post by jeff12 »

This is my first post with this forum. Wanted to thank everyone for the great posts and information on amp building. With your help and transformers from RJ I was able to build my version of a Rocket/AC30 style amp. Chassis is an inch shorter than a Rocket,( just how it worked out)but I managed to make it all fit. Made the cabinet myself also with plans on this forum cut an inch shorter. Sapele and Mahogany wood with lacquer finish. Everything worked the fist time I turned on the power thanks to the diagrams posted on TAG.
Made a few minor parts adjustments and am very happy with the sound.
Have never played a real Rocket to know the sound but this thing sounds great as built. Thanks again everyone. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gibsonman63

Re: First post New Amp Build

Post by Gibsonman63 »

Impressive. A working amp on the first post.

Congrats.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Congratulations man, well done, and especially for your first amp. Very nice job on the head cab!
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

Colossal wrote:Congratulations man, well done, and especially for your first amp. Very nice job on the head cab!
I absolutely agree. What the hell you are doing the rest of your time, when your first amp build looks like this :shock:

Congratulations

Hans-Jörg
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Nice looking build must be the sozo caps and CC resistors. :)

I have some of those 25uf/25v caps like you used on V1 cathode bypass. I haven't tried them yet.

Mark
racerx23

Post by racerx23 »

fantastic job Jeff and welcome!!!

Regards, Craig
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

hans-jörg wrote:
Colossal wrote:Congratulations man, well done, and especially for your first amp. Very nice job on the head cab!
I absolutely agree. What the hell you are doing the rest of your time, when your first amp build looks like this :shock:

Congratulations

Hans-Jörg
When I am not building amps I build guitars and play and work as a pawnbroker.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

Oh, so than ... :wink: keep on rockin!
I asked because it looked pretty close to the profis here :)
Hans-Jörg
RevD

Post by RevD »

Beautiful amp Man. A far cry from my first which fortunately for myself I never took pictures of before I scavenged it for a better working amp. Very impressive cabinet too. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Regards,

Don

Ps: Great Tele too, they're my personal fave on the Fender front.
rfgordon

Post by rfgordon »

Nice build.

You may be way ahead of me on this, but those little eyelets on that type of board can be loose enough to vibrate. So when I've used that style I put a bit of solder on every one of them so the tab is soldered to the eyelet. Chasing down a mystery buzz is just not fun.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

rfgordon wrote:Nice build.

You may be way ahead of me on this, but those little eyelets on that type of board can be loose enough to vibrate. So when I've used that style I put a bit of solder on every one of them so the tab is soldered to the eyelet. Chasing down a mystery buzz is just not fun.
Thanks for the tip. Did not know that, I will work on fixing that before it becomes a problem. This is why I like this forum, lots of helpful ideas.
Thanks again.
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

Thanks for the tip. Did not know that, I will work on fixing that before it becomes a problem. This is why I like this forum, lots of helpful ideas.
Thanks again.
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

Thanks again.
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

Sorry for the multiple posts, hate working from my phone. :oops:
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

Sorry for the multiple posts, hate working from my phone. :oops: