Express clone clip

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lions den

Express clone clip

Post by lions den »

I tried to put a quick video on youtube showing clean to dirty sounds on an express clone I have.

Video is obviously very low light at night, but wanted to get a decent sound from the video camera. Nothing special for camera and you can hear some slight breakup due to the camera mic.

Using a PRS Brazilian Singlecut with Sheptone Tribute pickups. Amp is going through a Ho Attenuator and a Marshall cab with 25 watt speakers. Guitar is setup to split/tap pickups as well.

Tried to demonstrate changes in rolling volume up/down, but also leaving volume set and changing pick/finger attack.

Delay is going attenuator line out to a cheap lexicon Alex delay, then to a blackface deluxe reverb for some added depth.

I can sit and play this amp for hours 😄

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJMy9hAb7J0&sns=em

Thoughts or comments?
Thanks, love hanging around this forum.
Sean
benoit

Re: Express clone clip

Post by benoit »

Sounds beautiful! That's nice hands as much as anything of course, but really, especially the clean sounds are lovely (which is not what I expected to say about an express build).
"I never practice my guitar. From time to time I just open the case and throw in a piece of raw meat." --Wes Montgomery
overtone

Post by overtone »

oh oh @ 4:30 I ran out of daft excuses not to build an Express. That so reminded me of mid 60's Gabor Szabo and I never thought I would hear an Express like that.
:D
Congratulations
lions den

Post by lions den »

thanks for the feedback. I was really going for the in between sounds on the Express that have impressed me since I got the amp.

Again, this is with an attenuator in line and the overall volume is not deafening, and yet still maintains the ability to feedback and sustain on almost all notes.

Should have some of the new gibson historic pots coming in this week. Looking to see how much more this opens up in terms of sounds between ultra clean and overdriven.

next video will focus on the overdriven tones.
thanks again,
sean
leadfootdriver

Post by leadfootdriver »

Sounds good and clear. Did you build from the Francesca plans to spec?

How loud is loud anyways? I mean, how much distortion do you get at a bedroom volume?
lions den

Post by lions den »

I didn't build the amp myself so not sure which plan was followed.
I understand that some of the parts were sourced from AllenM here at TAG, but not sure who built it. Kudos to whoever did :)

I tried to talk over a bit of the video and that was a normal talking voice to try and show relative overall volume in the room. Attenuator helps out alot, and the room is maybe 12X15 so nothing big by any means.

Wide open on the guitar is still pretty loud with attenuator at 50%.
Definitely can't talk over it.
sean