Anyone using the Takman Rex CF resistors? Report?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rooster

Anyone using the Takman Rex CF resistors? Report?

Post by rooster »

I see these out there and I wonder if any here have tried them. ?
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Mark

Re: Anyone using the Takman Rex CF resistors? Report?

Post by Mark »

I haven't tried them, but I thinking the very same thing. Would they be different?

I dare say some testing is in order. Must find time! :roll:
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

Some day i'd like to build a test cell with a selector to swap out signal resistors and do some real testing.

I also want to build a test amp with the coupeling caps on binding posts and swap a bunch of different cap types.

If you really want to try what is supposed to be the best resistor out there, its the Visahy VAS series Z201 aka. Texas Components TX2572, or Charcroft CAR series.

John
leadfootdriver

Post by leadfootdriver »

I have them in my Express. However, I can't say that they are better than anything else because I haven't built a lot of amps. So, I don't have a lot of experience with different components to say this resistor sounds like this compared to that. But, Takman says that the were developed specifically for audio, so there's piece of mind there.

If price has anything to do with quality, then they should be great because they're pretty pricey compared to a typical 1/2-watt CF resistor. But, the 1-watt size is beefy and easy to work with, and they look nice.

[IMG:1024:768]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh26 ... G_1181.jpg[/img]
rooster

Post by rooster »

Yeah, thanks for the responses. I went with 1 watt CF of typical manufacture for now but I want to try these. Eh, and here the 1watt is just an experiment, you know, if physical size reduces shot noise in CC, the same must be true with CF.

OK, Leadfootdriver, that's an interesting build, extremely tidy and a lot of effort there. Wow. It's easy to see that you gave a lot of thought to things. Very unothodoxed build and extremely overbuilt, yes. If I had a concern it would quickly be those caps on the main board. You don't see this very often because typically it will produce stray hum in the preamp. Do you have a quiet amp there? I really hope so because you have really put some time and effort into this. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for sharing the use of the Takman resistors. 8)
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
rsi

Post by rsi »

I used the pink 1/2 watt takmans in my 2204. I like them fine, though I am not sure they make a noticable difference in sound.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Do any independant sales guys carry these? I hate to buy sets of resistors from 800 numbers.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
leadfootdriver

Post by leadfootdriver »

rooster wrote:Yeah, thanks for the responses. I went with 1 watt CF of typical manufacture for now but I want to try these. Eh, and here the 1watt is just an experiment, you know, if physical size reduces shot noise in CC, the same must be true with CF.

OK, Leadfootdriver, that's an interesting build, extremely tidy and a lot of effort there. Wow. It's easy to see that you gave a lot of thought to things. Very unothodoxed build and extremely overbuilt, yes. If I had a concern it would quickly be those caps on the main board. You don't see this very often because typically it will produce stray hum in the preamp. Do you have a quiet amp there? I really hope so because you have really put some time and effort into this. Thanks for sharing, and thanks for sharing the use of the Takman resistors. 8)
I went with a multi star ground scheme. Each cap is a star point, and they're all chained together and connected to the 1 bolt on the chassis. Everything is grounded at that spot with exception of the bright switch and pots. I tried to float them, but they acted like noise antennas, so I grounded the fronts to the chassis.

I have zero hum. Some of my preamp tubes had hum, but this amp helped to weed them out. Be sure to keep the heater wiring away from the OT primary's as well.
diagrammatiks

Post by diagrammatiks »

I dunno why people assume having the filter caps on the boards would lead to hum.

that's the proper way to do it if you are committed to a good clean grounding scheme.
John_P_WI

Post by John_P_WI »

Reeltarded wrote:Do any independant sales guys carry these? I hate to buy sets of resistors from 800 numbers.
Angela has them, not cheap though....
leadfootdriver

Post by leadfootdriver »

John_P_WI wrote:
Reeltarded wrote:Do any independant sales guys carry these? I hate to buy sets of resistors from 800 numbers.
Angela has them, not cheap though....
I got mine from Parts Connexion in Canada. I got them in about a week.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/index.html
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I found the PartsX place.

I am going to do a big amp and see what they do. :)
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
67Mopar

Post by 67Mopar »

I'm resurrecting an ancient thread here, but I figure this is the best place to post pics of the rebuild I did to my RK100 amplifier using Takman CF resistors. I'm expecting the Takman's to open up a bit more as they burn-in. I don't want to place any effects in the circuit until I get a use to the dynamics of these awesome sounding resistors. They're every bit as quiet as metal film resistors - definitely more organic sounding.

[IMG:1000:750]http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh536/soldanofan/DSCN2655copy_zps6222102e.jpg[/img]
[IMG:1000:750]http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh536/soldanofan/DSCN2668copy_zpsaa757e12.jpg[/img]
Last edited by 67Mopar on Mon May 26, 2014 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Great looking build, regarding the Takman resistors what was the basis of your comparison?

I've found most people (myself included) have a poor memory for timbre unless they are extremely accustom to a particular instrument or amp.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

I gave them a go in at least one amp a while back but decided it wasn't worth buying them individually for something I wasn't entirely sure was that much better tonally. I'm sure they're better quality than standard CFs and they look kinda cool, but they weren't for me.

Just my $.02