Recently picked up "Lori 1985"+ Hard Rock Cafe gig

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

geetarpicker

Recently picked up "Lori 1985"+ Hard Rock Cafe gig

Post by geetarpicker »

I just recently acquired a 2nd original Trainwreck Express, this one being an early Stancor model "Lori 1985". Original TWs don't come up for sale often, let alone these earlier examples...

It has a sweeter and fatter tone than my '89 Pacific model, and is a tad bit less aggressive but a little bit more responsive. This amp is my new favorite, which is something after owning my '89 since new. It was serviced by Ken not long before he passed away, and Ken replaced the two small board electrolytics, one of the main 40uf filter caps, and the volume pot. This amp has been played alot and is very very broken in. Note the logo is slightly different, but I've seen these before on others and also on Keith Urban's very similar '86 Express.

Quite interesting this amp simply has a different sweet spot of operation than my '89 and overall it's more user friendly. On my '89 the full bright position has long been my choice for the widest range of clean to mean, plus often two cords in series to tone it back down a tad. That said this '85 seems is a little clearer and more articulate, and works just fine with the bright switch off and simply using one 18' cable.

Just last night I used it on the gig for the first time at the Hard Rock Cafe here in town. I put togther a wet/dry rig for the setup. I ran 3 pedals "post amplifier" which worked great and I pluged straight in to control all the clean to dirty from the guitar as usual. That said TC Electronics has some new pedals with the option to turn off the dry signal 100% with internal dip switches which make them excellent for a compact wet/dry rig. I modded my Boss DD5 for the same. I used a small Mackie mixer to blend the 3 effects (Reverb, Delay, Chorus) and used a QSC powered monitor. Oh, also my Faustine attenuator was used to drop the amp 6db before it hit the 4x12 cab, plus the attenutator's speaker emulated out worked well for the "wet" side of the rig.

Anyway, "Lori 1985" is truly a beautiful sounding amplifier. I plan to use this amp quite a bit on my 2nd CD which is in the works, plus I'll be making a Youtube video soon comparing the two different eras of original Ken Fischer built Express amplifiers.

GK

Pics attached>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by geetarpicker on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:18 am, edited 10 times in total.
geetarpicker

Re: Recently picked up "Lori 1985"+ Hard Rock Cafe gig

Post by geetarpicker »

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redshark

Post by redshark »

Congratulations Glen!! Very interesting what you write about Lori but it doesn't surprise me. I think it has a lot to do with transformer windings and preamp tubes the fact that in Orphan Annie you needed to use the double cable and bright switch on full to get the chime and clarity on your cleans but with Lori you prefer to have the bright switch off with just a regular 18" cable. If you use same setting on this amp that you used with Orphan Annie I'm sure it would be very bright.
I think probably Lori is a little bit more representative of the average express. I can't wait to hear the demos!!!!
ckpop

Post by ckpop »

Glenn, Very awesome score with the your new trainwreck. What I like about the a real TW's being in your hands is we all get a chance to hear and experience the true TW and your amazing playing. Even if Paisley or Urban uses them on a record because of the production you never get to real hear the amp as a focal point like in your vids and cd's Thanks You.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Congrats.Can't wait to here it.
dayn

Post by dayn »

Congrats Glen, if she deserves to be in anyone's hands, it is yours.

Looking forward to the new CD!
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Wow Glen - great score.
Can't wait to hear it.
Thanks for the comparison to Annie.
Congrats - well deserved.
Why Aye Man
rooster

Post by rooster »

Heck yeah, that is really cool! Congrats Glen! I really dig your short review - and also like the idea that your guitar cable has gotten shorter! And the bright switch is off, too! Man, I never thought I'd see the day. 8)
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Dear God help us all. That. is. awesome. 8)
guitarsnguns04

Post by guitarsnguns04 »

Congrats Glenn...so when can we expect a true stereo live setup....I'd like to hear you give that a go....what a wall of sound it would be...probably wouldn't be able to wipe a smile of your face or kens if he were able to witness it
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Congrats!

I surprised you didn't get another Liverpool since most of the Nashville guys are wanting that type of amp these days. :)

Mark
racerx23

Post by racerx23 »

Congrats Glen
Also can't wait to hear it!!!
MCK

Post by MCK »

Wow! So happy for you and for us as well. Its one more wreck which will get the much deserved spotlight thanks to your excellent work. Congratulations!!!
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

This is pretty awesome. Glenn, you are the ambassador of the Trainwreck. Loved the last CD I bought from you, and can't wait for the next. I think your ability on guitar and your relationship with the amps makes you the biggest tribute to the art of the late great Ken Fischer.

Somewhere Kenny is smiling.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Congratulations Glen, it's great that you have the chance to play through another Express and share your stories about the differences you hear between the two. Looking forward to the new CD. I loved the clean tones on "Santa Fe" on that last recording and overall enjoyed the variety of styles and tones that you put together. rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/