Intro and Liverpool Build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RJ Guitars

Re: Intro and Liverpool Build

Post by RJ Guitars »

lions den wrote:The Liverpool lives!! ....The names Faith (rocket), Hope (Liverpool), and Love (express) are starting to grow on me :)

Thanks again
Sean
Congrats, anytime you get sound and not smoke is a great start... after that it's just a mystery to solve.

Good names but an Express with name of Love can be a little misleading. That girl has a short fuse and she won't cover your mistakes, but when everything is right, she is such a fine lady. Just kidding of course but you will find a few Express amps with the name Jezebel, and it is often appropriate.

Good work, the Rocket has never seemed as difficult to build and I think it has the best clean tone of the three. It has a very different kind of distortion that really separates it from the other two.

YMMV,

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
lions den

Post by lions den »

RJ thanks for the feedback and the great service and quality on the parts.

Yeah, Love might be a little misleading of a name, but the Express was my first TW amp and the first one to hook me, so it has a special place with me.

I'll be contacting you in the near future about a rocket build.
Thanks
Sean
Last edited by lions den on Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jenks

Post by jenks »

Congratulations Sean!

Very glad to see everything worked out. What a great forum !
lions den

Post by lions den »

thanks Jenks. Appreciate the prework you did on the boards :)
sean
fishy

Post by fishy »

The names Faith (rocket), Hope (Liverpool), and Love (express) are starting to grow on me
Cool names. I have called my Express a few things but not Love..... Hope maybe more than a few times....
lions den

Post by lions den »

A few pics showing some iron love.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lions den

Post by lions den »

Quick question, should I get more hiss with a guitar plugged in or without anything plugged into the input jack?

I'm getting a louder hiss noise with nothing plugged. Sounds are good but I'm getting a bit of what sounds like I'm overdriving something when I dig in hard on the guitar.

That and in general the chasis is very microphonic when I tap on it with chopsticks.

All of my voltages are very close to the expected ones that were posted, a little higher all around but my wall voltage was 121.7

I'll reflow solder joints tomorrow, any other suggestions?
Thanks
Sean
lions den

Post by lions den »

One other note, even with the volume on the amp all the way down, the chasis is very microphonic when I tap on it with chopsticks.

Normal?
Thanks
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

lions den wrote:Quick question, should I get more hiss with a guitar plugged in or without anything plugged into the input jack?

I'm getting a louder hiss noise with nothing plugged. Sounds are good but I'm getting a bit of what sounds like I'm overdriving something when I dig in hard on the guitar.

That and in general the chasis is very microphonic when I tap on it with chopsticks.

All of my voltages are very close to the expected ones that were posted, a little higher all around but my wall voltage was 121.7

I'll reflow solder joints tomorrow, any other suggestions?
Thanks

Sean
Check your input jack connections with the schematic, not sure what I can see is right. Tubes could be microphonic, my Liverpool amp is very sensitive and I had to swap out a few tubes to find a good ones. First stage is the most sensitive. Not sure what is up with the overdrive sound. My phase inverter tube or the socket is quirky, I used good sockets and still seems at times I don't get good connection with all the pins and it causes a strange distortion in the amp. I wiggle the tube and it clears up..
lions den

Post by lions den »

Jeff, thanks. I've swapped out a few tubes and put in a good one that works well in my express.

Still get the louder noise with nothing plugged in. May resolder the input jack and make sure there's a good ground connection there. I'm relying on the jack connecting with the chasis I guess I can hard wire it to the chasis to ensure a good connection and see if that fixes it.

The microphonic volume of the taps on the chasis is much louder than my express so probably will find a ground connection somewhere around V1 or the input that's not making solid contact.

Thanks for the help.
Sean
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

lions den wrote:Jeff, thanks. I've swapped out a few tubes and put in a good one that works well in my express.

Still get the louder noise with nothing plugged in. May resolder the input jack and make sure there's a good ground connection there. I'm relying on the jack connecting with the chasis I guess I can hard wire it to the chasis to ensure a good connection and see if that fixes it.

The microphonic volume of the taps on the chasis is much louder than my express so probably will find a ground connection somewhere around V1 or the input that's not making solid contact.

Thanks for the help.
Sean
Is your 1 meg resistor going from the hot input to ground? hard to see in the picture.
lions den

Post by lions den »

Jeff
I have one end of the resistor grounded at the input jack, and the other end of the resistor connected to the shorting pin on the input jack.

Now that I relook at the schematic I should be grounding the hot input pin with nothing plugged in, and have the 1Meg in parallel with the guitar when the cable is plugged in. Sound right?
Thanks
Sean
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

lions den wrote:Jeff
I have one end of the resistor grounded at the input jack, and the other end of the resistor connected to the shorting pin on the input jack.

Now that I relook at the schematic I should be grounding the hot input pin with nothing plugged in, and have the 1Meg in parallel with the guitar when the cable is plugged in. Sound right?
Thanks
Sean
Sounds right to me. :)
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

jeff12 wrote:
lions den wrote:Jeff

Thanks
Sean
Sounds right to me. :)[/quote

Progress to report?????? :)
lions den

Post by lions den »

Jeff, thanks for checking in. Noise is now reduced once I rewired the input jack, so good news there. I'm letting things settle down a bit and burn in, and playing around with different tubes.

Head cabinet should ship out Friday from Mikey, will then mount in cab and continue the burn in process. I can tell I may read up and play around with coupling caps and other tone altering ideas. Being my first build, it will all be experimenting to see what works well etc.

Compared to my Express, the Liverpool likes single coils better and doesn't quite have the dynamic range as the express when rolling the guitar volume up and down. Liverpool sure sings when pushed !

After this we'll try a Rocket and complete the set. Pics and clips to follow after the cab arrives.
Thanks
Sean