liverpool very bright

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

harris51

liverpool very bright

Post by harris51 »

any mods for a way too bright liver pool
roberto

Re: liverpool very bright

Post by roberto »

There are many ways to skin that cat. Try a 470k grid stopper on the 3rd stage, just to see if that's the right way you want to go. Maybe this is too much for you.

Or maybe the same resistor between the volume pot and the 2nd stage.

Otherwise you can try a 47pF between grid and plate of the first triode.

Also a 470pF across the 100k plate resistor of the 3rd stage.

or.. well I think you have something to work on to understand what works better for you. Then you can go to reduce the values to choose the right value for you.
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

Keep in mind that the volume, treble, and bass pots are all audio taper. If your treble pot is a linear when it's only on say half it will almost sound like it's wide open, very bright. All three of these pots should be audio taper. Other "mods" can help, but first get the pots right.
paulster

Post by paulster »

geetarpicker wrote:Keep in mind that the volume, treble, and bass pots are all audio taper. If your treble pot is a linear when it's only on say half it will almost sound like it's wide open, very bright. All three of these pots should be audio taper. Other "mods" can help, but first get the pots right.
Did your old Liverpool have a 1M bass pot that you know of, or could it have been 250K? There's no question that Expresses use 1M but the documentation seems to suggest that Liverpools got 250K bass pots.
gtrcollectr

Post by gtrcollectr »

I swapped my pots over to 10% tolerance audio taper CTS pots from mojo and they made a huge improvement. I also put in a 1 meg bass pot and it does seem to be pushing a bit more bass. I originally built it from the Ron Worley layout so it had the 250k Value in it before.

Glen is right the more gradual the taper the better.....it makes a huge difference. The CTS pots seem better than the alphas in this department.

Todd
strato17

Post by strato17 »

geetarpicker wrote:Keep in mind that the volume, treble, and bass pots are all audio taper. If your treble pot is a linear when it's only on say half it will almost sound like it's wide open, very bright. All three of these pots should be audio taper. Other "mods" can help, but first get the pots right.
Excellent advice. I made the same mistake on my express.