Favourite speakers and cabs for Trainwreck amps.

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Re: Favourite speakers and cabs for Trainwreck amps.

Post by Mark »

No problem Phil.

I've thrown up a few photo's that I was generously sent.

These pictures do pose some question about the construction of the box. It doesn't look like a typical Fender box that has a frame.

Then there is that middle shelf.

How thick is the baffle board.

What type timber do you suppose it is made of?

Logically you'd have to say some sort of ply, though plenty of cabs have been made from particle board.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

It's all good quality plywood. Phil
McGinnis

Post by McGinnis »

Just My 2cents. I've got 2 Hiwatt 4/12s . One cab loaded with one EV12L series1,one EV12L series2, two Weber Michigans. The other cab has 4 Weber DT12s. The EV Michigan cab has great bottom and a general crisp clear tone. The DT12 cab is warm and smooth. I like the DT12s best with my Express clone, warm & juicey.
Rupe

Post by Rupe »

What are your thoughts on alnico speakers in closed back cabs, specifically in regards to an Express? I'm trying to find the right speakers to go with my JM Express...ideally to be loaded into my CAA closed back (ported) 2x12 (it currently has a pair of Scumback M75 100w...not bad with this amp but more suited towards hard rock IMO). I play primarily blues/blues rock/funk with Strats, Teles, and a Gretsch Falcon. Thanks!
crbowman

Post by crbowman »

Rant mode on....................................
I've owned two different V4 cabs and hated them!
Love Ampegs in general but the V4 cabs were a pain.
Like most all Ampeg stuff made since the 70's they were incredibly heavy, the back has no screws and doesn't come off without destroying the cab so the only access is through the front, and mine both had that damn 4-pin jack that I really believe was designed by Satan himself. If you lost your custom speaker cable (or adapter) you were sunk. I suppose they sound OK, but to me, even with greenbacks installed, neither one ever sounded as good as my Marshall cab.
Just my 2 cents............rant mode off.

EDIT: With 4 EVM 12L's it would probably weigh more than my car.
Last edited by crbowman on Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<i> "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn."</i>
NickC

Post by NickC »

crbowman wrote: .................................... that damn 4-pin jack that I really believe was designed by Satan himself. If you lost your custom speaker cable (or adapter) you were sunk ..................
I no longer have a V4 cab. But I still have a spare 4-pin jack cable (and no use for it) if anyone is looking for one.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The best recording of an Express by far I've ever heard is a '91 album by the christian rock band Novella. The album is "Liquid Earth", the song is "Don't You Run". The guitar player is Derek Jan, Ken turned me on to him. He used a '60 Les Paul, an Express, and a vintage Marshall 4x12 with Pre-Rola Celestion G12H30's. It's really just jaw-dropping tone. My opinion about G12H30's being too bright is shared by many but here is an exception. Find it on youtube - search "real Trainwreck". I posted it
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6195

Mark
aaronz28

Post by aaronz28 »

I have 2 recommendations on speakers - after dripping a small fortune on various speakers.

I currently have a 4x12 Basketweave with original pro-rolas
G12m 75hz. From 1968. Its great but not my favorite.

I stumbled on a pair of late 60s alnico silvers with original pre-rola cones.
They are stunning in an open back and tame the bright edge of an Express

As for new speakers- ive tried em all.
You cant beat the scumback g12m for the greenback. They are indistinguisable from real vintage speakers, especially after they fully break in.

My new favorite is a custom ASW that i specced.
I found the elegante to be far too bright for an Express- and just tameable with a plexi/komet.
So i asked for a custom ASW Alnico and they are killer. I find them to be perfect for an express because they are bright enough for the cleans to shimmer, yet no where near as bright as the elegante.

To my ears, they sound perfect.
They arent on the ASW site, but if u call or email Everett and ask for the same alnico customs that Aaron got, he'll know what you are talking about.

They are based on their version of the 55hz cone, but with the chime and edge of an alnico magnet- and they did something different with the treatment based on my requests/recommendation.

Cheers

Aaron
What?
Mark

Post by Mark »

And?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Mark

Post by Mark »

Garlin what are you wanting to say?

So far not much is coming through.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
aaronz28

Post by aaronz28 »

good question - lol

he quoted me twice, but no text of his own.

i'm going to try to do a couple of a/b comparisons with these new ASW speakers.

They sound killer, but i'd like to give them some time to break in before trying to capture them on video/audio.
What?
billyz

Post by billyz »

The ASW speakers are great . I like all of them, especially the Crossroad ( g12m greenback) . I saw a whole batch of the New Bludotone spec'd speakers too. I do like the Scumbacks but since ASW is local to me, I like to go over there and talk to Ron or Everett , they never BS me and I can see them actually building the speakers. I know the quality and care they put into each one.
jckid649

Post by jckid649 »

Since the Wreck is capable of settings for 4-8-16 ohms is there a preferable choice of speakers in ohms or configuration for ohms in a cabinet for it?
Mark

Post by Mark »

That's much better. I don't think there was any text from memory. It seemed a bit odd to post nothing, still something are better left unsaid. :D
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott