Favourite speakers and cabs for Trainwreck amps.

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Favourite speakers and cabs for Trainwreck amps.

Post by Mark »

I think this sort of thing should be a sticky on the site, or perhaps I missed it.

What speakers sound best with these amps?

Which is the preferred (Celestion) speaker?

I remember some years ago a quad with two alnico blues and two H30's was it.

Ken's favourite cab was the Ampeg V4, I can't say I've compared it to a Marshall quad or even a straight front Marshall quad.

Thoughts and opinions?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
sliberty

Re: Favourite speakers and cabs for Trainwreck amps.

Post by sliberty »

For me, it really depends on which amp you are talking about. For a Rocket, I prefer very transparent speakers. Fane's, EVM 12Ls, etc. And it woks really well with a 1x12 all the way up to a 4x12. For an Express, Imlike a speaker with a lot of bottom, because the amp doesn't have a huge thump (like some Marshalls for example). 4x12's seem best for this reason. Greenbacks, 12L's, etc. are good choices.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Hi Mark,

I'll take a first stab at it and then let Glenn correct/fill in the details. My understanding is that old school Celestion Greenbacks (25W G12M) or 30W G12H's are the speaker of choice for the Express with Scumbacks as the modern equivalent. As you know, Glen's personal setups are pretty much the benchmark.

Here is video of the new JM-built Trainwrecks being played through:
1) New paper voil coil Scumbacks (003 cone paper) in a baske-tweave Marshall cab.
2) JM Liverpool with KF's Ampeg V4 Roland with Celestion 75Hz. Blackback 1777 cones
3) JM Express with KF's Ampeg V4 Roland with Celestion 75Hz. Blackback 1777 cones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bjtjA_gszE
Mark

Post by Mark »

Has anyone worked out the dimension of the Ampeg V4 cab?

There are plenty of Marshall cabs around, but I can't say I've seen a Ampeg V4 cab.

The other cab that comes to mind is K O'Connor's detuned cab. Has anyone tried these?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

love the sound of those v4 cabs in the video. i believe the originals had a lot of insulation inside. not sure if it was removed or not.

i find there aren't many amps that don't sound good through a 4x12 with greenbacks or an open back 2x12 with blues.
redshark

Post by redshark »

Ken in one of the Weber books where he talks about this cabs recommends to get rid of the insulation. So I did it with mine! :D

Old celestion 25's or 30's or modern clones is what is recommended for this amps.

In the video he says that Ken's personal V-4 has 30's with 75hz cone (003)? I heard by a good source that he has 30's with 55hz. (014) cones.
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

Mark wrote:Has anyone worked out the dimension of the Ampeg V4 cab?

There are plenty of Marshall cabs around, but I can't say I've seen a Ampeg V4 cab.

The other cab that comes to mind is K O'Connor's detuned cab. Has anyone tried these?
I just measured one of my V4's they are 14"x27"x30" and the speakers front load. Phil
Mark

Post by Mark »

:lol: Phil is there any piece of equipment you haven't owned? :lol:

If you get time or feel deposed could you tell me stuff like baffle thickness and internal pics of the cab?

I suspect smaller thicker baffle equals punchy.
I heard by a good source that he has that Ken has H30's with 55hz (014) cones.
I seem to remember that too, though Glenn much prefers Greenbacks.

I've not heard anything about the removing the insulation. I'll have to do a bit of snooping.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
redshark

Post by redshark »

Mark wrote:I seem to remember that too, though Glenn much prefers Greenbacks.

I've not heard anything about the removing the insulation. I'll have to do a bit of snooping.
It's written in a Gerald Weber book "Tube amp talk for the guitarist and tech" section III the trainwreck pages which is a compilation of Ken's articles for vintage guitar magazine. First one is called "Inside Ampeg Linden" In the section that talks about the amp this is what he said about the V-4 cab:

"My personal V4 gave powerful crunch power chords but did nothing else well for my guitar except make it too loud. However, the V4 guitar cabinet, a rugged 4x12, straight front-loaded monster, is a great sounding box once the fiberglass is removed. I've rarely heard old Celenstions sound as good in an old Marshall cabinet as they do in a V4 cabinet. If only Ampeg had made a V4 slant cabinet too!"
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Well maybe Taylor Cox will start offering V4 cabs for Trainwreck Amps :)

Mark
Roe

Post by Roe »

some prefer g12m 25w, others g12h 30w
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

I'll have to pull the insulation out of mine, but I need to build another express I sold mine to a friend. Phil
rp

Post by rp »

nt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I'm surprised there hasn't been more attention to the actual speaker box. It is still an important part of the Trainwreck formula.

Phil, could you take some shots when you removed the fibreglass from your cab? (Not to be pushy or anything.) :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mark on Thu May 31, 2012 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

No problem Mark, but you might have to wait a little while. My Soldano cab reminds me a lot of the construction of the V-4 cab. Phil