my 18 watt rocket-ish build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: my 18 watt rocket-ish build

Post by M Fowler »

wsaraceni wrote:on a side note. anyone know where i can get a really cheap tolex headshell that would work for an trainwreck ceriatone chassis?
Gabkits.com
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Use 2A slow blow for main and 500mA for HT.

You better go over your power supply wiring and check for any wires not suppose to be touching ground/chassis.

Mark
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

ok. i replaced the fuses. have to get a 500ma fuse but went with a 750 as thats all i had. but no fuses popped. first i swapped the tubes to jj el84s (finally can stop sweating the mullards) and put the light bulb limiter inline. it lit up as usual but not bright, decided to try the other mullards again but same thing. with the JJs and no fuses popping i plugged direct into the wall. no issues but still getting higher voltage on pin 9 than pin 7. 334 and 326 respectively today. any ideas?
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

also, i verified every that none of the power supply is grounded on the side that shouldnt be.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

weird thing is that besides some hum, it sounds pretty good.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

here's a crummy cell phone clip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

so at a total loss now. no fuses popping. no light bulb limited issues. and still cant figure out how the pin 7 and pin 9 voltages are off

verified the wiring is as follows:

off of rectifier to standby

standby to first cap
first cap to transformer red wire
choke between first and second cap
wire off of second cap to 100r resistors

should those resistors be different than the stock 100r since i am using 2 instead of 4
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

still cant figure it out but had to take it apart a bit to put on the faceplates and stuff. i've also moved the power filter board to a new location so i have some wires to neaten up. hopefully i'll have it totally together soon and will get it cleaned up and running. i'll post new voltage levels. also, the gabkits headshell was perfect. decided to call it the "ryan amplification proto 1" since my 1 year old is ryan. going to get a couple ryan amplification logos just to make it look more "real"

hopefully i an work out the bugs and have a killer amp

[IMG:1961:1471]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/wsaraceni/146E7861-2231-40B5-8E38-17169D63ECB9-7394-0000035A748511B3_zps10491e36.jpg[/img]

[IMG:2127:1595]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/wsaraceni/7A7E6D70-8FF7-463A-9B32-9B4CEAE082F5-7394-0000035A6A4139FB_zpseeec83e1.jpg[/img]

front is getting white knobs and a red jewel light and a white logo. the rear panel is temporarily on there, it is straight and perfect when i actually put it on. need to find the correct thread and length bolts to bolt the chassis.
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

Hi,
so what´s new with your readings?
B+1 cannot be higher than B+2! You have there a 1k 25W Resistor in between - or a choke. Whatever. The G2 MUST be lower than the anode.
This could explain why your fuses blown (but not be shure).
I think you mixed up the Anode and the G2 wire. Than it would fit.

Best

Hans-Jörg
JoeCon

Post by JoeCon »

When I built my Twin Tube Rocket I used Mark Fowlers layout. On it he shows two 1K 5watt resistors rather than the 100R you're using.
Check it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In theory, theory is the same as practice. In practice it's different.
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Nice build Willy. Call me (or PM me) if you want to drive down and do some troubleshooting.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

HeeBGB wrote:Nice build Willy. Call me (or PM me) if you want to drive down and do some troubleshooting.
i may do that. i have to put it back together hopefully this week or next weekend. then maybe we can troubleshoot or fine tune. unfortunately, when you order faceplates as the LAST step, you have to disconnect and reconnect everything that feeds through the front of the chassis like the IEC, fuse holder, and pilot light i have.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

hans-jörg wrote:Hi,
so what´s new with your readings?
B+1 cannot be higher than B+2! You have there a 1k 25W Resistor in between - or a choke. Whatever. The G2 MUST be lower than the anode.
This could explain why your fuses blown (but not be shure).
I think you mixed up the Anode and the G2 wire. Than it would fit.

Best

Hans-Jörg
the B+ should be higher after the choke?

just so im clear, if you look at the pictures, this is the route it takes.

ez81 to the standby switch (single red wire)
standby switch to fuse holder and then back to right most capacitor (red twisted wires)
that goes to the choke and to the output transformer (im calling that B+1)
other side of choke goes to grey wire to 100R resistors and pin 9 on the el84s
that also branches off fo the other B+ lines all running in parallel

the blue and brown wires from the OT go to pin 7.

which are you thinking i swapped?
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

Hi

If you follow the Rocket layout you will see that there is at least the resistor of the choke between Pin 7 (anode from OT) and Pin 9 (g2).
The anode must be logical higher than the g2. I thionk you swaped it.

Best
Hans-Jörg
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

Hi
than the mistake must be before some where. I´m sorry, I´ve no time (work) but its logical, that Pin 7 is higher than Pin 9 because there is a resistor in between Choke, 1k or 2k - whatever) Check your wireing and solder points.

Best

Hans-Jörg