Voltage selector switch for Express power transformer?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

Voltage selector switch for Express power transformer?

Post by Mark »

Hi

I have an RJ Heybour transformer. It has the 0 -100, 120, 220, 230, 240 primary voltage taps on it and I thought why not use them instead of cutting them off.

The question for anyone who has done it is. What switch and bezel do you recommend.

For those who haven't done it, but have built an Express will the voltage selector switch fit on the back of the chassis?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
paulster

Re: Voltage selector switch for Express power transformer?

Post by paulster »

You can use either a Marshall switch (if you're not bothered about Japanese and one of the European taps), although it is fairly large item.

Otherwise you can go for any rotary switch that's rated for 240Vac and the current you'll need when running at 100V.

I prefer to spec my PTs with a pair of 120V primaries and use them in series or parallel for use in Europe and the States. There really isn't a great need to have 220, 230 and 240V taps in my opinion, and I'm not concerned about using them in Japan! It means you can use really compact rotary voltage selectors which are about the size of a through-chassis fuseholder.
Mark

Re: Voltage selector switch for Express power transformer?

Post by Mark »

The Marshall one has only three positions. The old switch in my Boogie is perfect, though I don't know if they are still available.

Thanks for your reply.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott