My New Rocket Reverb Combo

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Colossal

Re: My New Rocket Reverb Combo

Post by Colossal »

nathanneedles wrote: Do you know how he mounts the jacks on the faceplate? I can't figure that out.
From photos I have seen of the X10 and other XITS amps, the chassis is tapped (nice thick aluminum) and the Switchcraft input and speaker jacks are threaded into it so that the jack ends up flush with the chassis surface.
nathanneedles

Post by nathanneedles »

Colossal wrote:
nathanneedles wrote: Do you know how he mounts the jacks on the faceplate? I can't figure that out.
From photos I have seen of the X10 and other XITS amps, the chassis is tapped (nice thick aluminum) and the Switchcraft input and speaker jacks are threaded into it so that the jack ends up flush with the chassis surface.
wow, that's smart. But does that that mean that it uses some kind of extra long pots? or is there a rear cavity routed for the pots?
-Nate
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

nathanneedles wrote:wow, that's smart. But does that that mean that it uses some kind of extra long pots? or is there a rear cavity routed for the pots?
Nope, just standard pots. The chassis thickness (just looking at it) looks to be about 1/8" thick. The standard lock nut that is used on the SW12A jack is just threaded on the back "choking up" on the jack so that the threads are dead flush with the outside surface of the chassis when screwed in. The chassis is not so thick that a standard bushing on a pot wouldn't fit.
nathanneedles

Post by nathanneedles »

SO after a few days of break in time, I decided to change the .022 cap off the wiper of the bass pot to a .047, and the amp really opened up in the low end. It was not a subtle change like I expected -- it's way less flabby in the low mids, and now the scoop setting is a ton more sparkly i guess is what you'd call it.
-Nate
lovetone

Post by lovetone »

Very nice build, can I ask what make are the red resistors? not seen these before.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Holco metal film I think.
didit

Post by didit »

M Fowler wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:56 pm Holco metal film I think.
Colossal was correct, I think, noting PRP - http://prpinc.com. Familiar since used 'em in recent (& not quite finished) GA50 inspired build.

Best .. Ian