Maybe I missed it but...

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Luke Duke

Maybe I missed it but...

Post by Luke Duke »

...what speakers are you guys using with your Wrecks? (btw I did use the search function :) ) Celestions? Webers? Eminences? Particularly with the Expresses. I was thinking maybe a Weber Blue Dog Alnico and Ceramic, mixing mag types seems to give some pretty cool results IMO.

Most of the clips I see are 2X12 with some 4X12 clips too. Is everybody using closed back cabinets?

Also, what about tens? or 1X12 and 1X10 cab like Gibson did on the Super Goldtone a few years back.

Thanks Guys!

Luke
smokin' tone

Re: Maybe I missed it but...

Post by smokin' tone »

I'm running Eminence Private Jacks in a 2-12 open back cab. It sounds great. Sammi's are a really good speaker too. HeeBGB here on the forum sales them.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

I am using a pair of Vintage 30's in a 70's Univox blue cabinet
UR12

Post by UR12 »

I have a Vox style 4x12 cab with g12m25 Geenbacks and a Marshall style 4x10 cab loaded wih Eminence Ramrods. The 4x12 cab wins hands down over the 4x10 using the Express.

Here is the 4x12 cab with my Liverpool.

[img:562:750]http://users.zoominternet.net/~jdhall/a ... %20cab.jpg[/img]

Here is a pic of the 4x10 cab

[img:660:800]http://users.zoominternet.net/~jdhall/amps/DSCN0787.jpg[/img]
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

I believe the KF amps were all designed around the Marshall 1960 with greenbacks.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

jaysg wrote:I believe the KF amps were all designed around the Marshall 1960 with greenbacks.
Now that's interesting! I guess they used the regular cone too?

Luke
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

The ultimate sound for my express is a 4 12 Hiwatt bottom cab with g12m 55hz blackbacks. That's too loud for any of the gigs I play so I am constantly trying out different speakers in different 2 12 cabinets. Last night I just put a celestion blue alnico with a g12-65 and that sounds really good. I'm also using the trem-rocket that I built with the express so I'm trying to find cabinet/speaker combinations that work equally well with both amps. One interesting speaker choice I experimented with Friday night was a 2 12 with jensen mods. I was told the mods would give me a bit of volume loss due to their inefficiency, and they did, which is a good thing with an express! They don't sound too bad either, but I still prefer the blue and the 65 or a pair of red fangs, blah, blah, blah. It's all just a matter of what sounds good to you. Phil
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

philmanatee wrote:The ultimate sound for my express is a 4 12 Hiwatt bottom cab with g12m 55hz blackbacks. That's too loud for any of the gigs I play so I am constantly trying out different speakers in different 2 12 cabinets. Last night I just put a celestion blue alnico with a g12-65 and that sounds really good. I'm also using the trem-rocket that I built with the express so I'm trying to find cabinet/speaker combinations that work equally well with both amps. One interesting speaker choice I experimented with Friday night was a 2 12 with jensen mods. I was told the mods would give me a bit of volume loss due to their inefficiency, and they did, which is a good thing with an express! They don't sound too bad either, but I still prefer the blue and the 65 or a pair of red fangs, blah, blah, blah. It's all just a matter of what sounds good to you. Phil
Yeah I figured that was prety loud at gigs, but I bet it sounds DIVINE! Blues have that 100dB efficiency so you know they are going to be loud. How different are the 65s from the the blackbacks? I've never A/B'd 65s....to be honest I don't know if I've even heard 65s in person.

Luke
pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound »

Well there seems to be a debate about what speakers sounds best with the Wrecks. I read that Ken actually preferred G12H (Pre-rolas) not Ms with a 014 cone 55Hz on a 4x12...Then I read on forums that the best sound out of them is using a 4x12 G12Ms Pre-rolas.

I use a custom build Bob Burt 2x12 loaded with G12Ms (pre-rolas) 102 003 lead cone (pulsonic) 75Hz. I wanted a 4x12 but I've own 4x12s before and they weigh a ton. Not fun to drag to a second floor were I have my small Office/studio/guess bedroom...:)

I have a 1968 plexi clone made by Voodoo amps that uses the same cab and both amps sound glorious. I do have to say that I have to get me some G12Ms 102 014 cones 55Hz but, I do remember why I haven't gotten them yet $$$$$$$.....I may get just one and combine it with my 003 lead cone, that will give some balance.....

If you are poor like me, I guess the sub for a Pre-rola speaker will be a Scumback speaker….He cloned all those old speakers and I think it is the closest to that sound…or get a creamback or blackback….Which are 70’s speakers….
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

pureoldsound wrote:Well there seems to be a debate about what speakers sounds best with the Wrecks. I read that Ken actually preferred G12H (Pre-rolas) not Ms with a 014 cone 55Hz on a 4x12...Then I read on forums that the best sound out of them is using a 4x12 G12Ms Pre-rolas.

I use a custom build Bob Burt 2x12 loaded with G12Ms (pre-rolas) 102 003 lead cone (pulsonic) 75Hz. I wanted a 4x12 but I've own 4x12s before and they weigh a ton. Not fun to drag to a second floor were I have my small Office/studio/guess bedroom...:)

I have a 1968 plexi clone made by Voodoo amps that uses the same cab and both amps sound glorious. I do have to say that I have to get me some G12Ms 102 014 cones 55Hz but, I do remember why I haven't gotten them yet $$$$$$$.....I may get just one and combine it with my 003 lead cone, that will give some balance.....

If you are poor like me, I guess the sub for a Pre-rola speaker will be a Scumback speaker….He cloned all those old speakers and I think it is the closest to that sound…or get a creamback or blackback….Which are 70’s speakers….
Weber makes them IIRC...I guess I could call Ted and tell him what I'm looking for tonewise and he would tell me whether to go to Jim or if I'd like his designs.

Luke
pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound »

That will be a good idea. Actually Jim sent some original Pre-rolas to Ted for cloning. I know he had some recone kits with those specs. Don't know if he ran out of those. There are some clips of Jim's speakers at the gear page forum.....
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

pureoldsound wrote:That will be a good idea. Actually Jim sent some original Pre-rolas to Ted for cloning. I know he had some recone kits with those specs. Don't know if he ran out of those. There are some clips of Jim's speakers at the gear page forum.....
Good stuff!

I'm just so torn because I want to try some alnico speakers too...ahhh decisions decisions.
unklmickey

Post by unklmickey »

jaysg wrote:I believe the KF amps were all designed around the Marshall 1960 with greenbacks.

Jay, i'm skeptical about this.

Ken was famous for voicing existing amps to suit a particular customers needs, and the speaker(s)/enclosure they would be used with.

i have to wonder if each Wreck might have been voiced in a similar fashion, depending on the use intended?

IF that were true, then there wouldn't be a single speaker/enclosure combination that was "best" for all Wrecks

DON"T GET ME WRONG. i'm not trying to pass myself off as an authority here. i've never even seen the inside of a real Wreck. i'm just thinking out loud. if i'm all wet, don't flame me. a simple smack up-side the head will do.

cheers,

unk
pureoldsound

Post by pureoldsound »

unklmickey wrote:

Jay, i'm skeptical about this.

Ken was famous for voicing existing amps to suit a particular customers needs, and the speaker(s)/enclosure they would be used with.

i have to wonder if each Wreck might have been voiced in a similar fashion, depending on the use intended?

IF that were true, then there wouldn't be a single speaker/enclosure combination that was "best" for all Wrecks

DON"T GET ME WRONG. i'm not trying to pass myself off as an authority here. i've never even seen the inside of a real Wreck. i'm just thinking out loud. if i'm all wet, don't flame me. a simple smack up-side the head will do.

cheers,

unk
No flames is all good :D....Well I think he design each amp around what he though had the best sound possible, after reading a bunch of threads and columns, he kind of preferred Celestions. About the each amp being different, well he might have tweaked the first ones, but after orders pilled up I am sure that everyone got a standard circuitry with what he thought was the best mod. (don't hold me on that it is just what I think) It will be so time consuming tweaking each amp per customer request, that he would have not have time to finish other amps.....Maybe people got the basic amp and then thought well I need to address this part and that and then he might have tweaked it . The other thing how much is there to tweak on this amp? I am not a pro but it seems that there are just a few things without changing the design to much that you can do.....

I think all that every amp is different is all BS…mostly is Hype….
unklmickey

Post by unklmickey »

pureoldsound wrote: ...I am not a pro but it seems that there are just a few things without changing the design to much that you can do.....
there are actually quite a few.

the size of bypass caps in relation to cathode resistors affects LF rolloff.

the size of coupling caps (HF rolloff)

where you have more or less gain, affects where in the chain distortion first appears, as do biasing closer to center, or closer to saturation in a particular stage.

the size of a bright cap (if at all).

NFB (if used).

the values in the tone-stack will affect frequency, amount of boost/cut, and the shape of the response curve at "neutral" settings.

so far, we're mostly talking about component values in the same circuit.

we haven't even mentioned the choice of iron or tubes yet.
pureoldsound wrote: ...About the each amp being different, well he might have tweaked the first ones, but after orders pilled up I am sure that everyone got a standard circuitry with what he thought was the best mod. (don't hold me on that it is just what I think) It will be so time consuming tweaking each amp per customer request, that he would have not have time to finish other amps.....Maybe people got the basic amp and then thought well I need to address this part and that and then he might have tweaked it . …
that DOES make sense.

another possibility, is there may have been some variations according to what the customer was planning to use the amp for/with, and what he knew from past experience, worked better in those applications.

the only way to determine if there is a grain of truth to that would be to talk to some first owners of Wrecks, and ask if there were any questions from Ken on what the owner was planning to do with the amp.

but since he probably swore all of them to secrecy, we'll likely never know. :lol:
pureoldsound wrote:....Well I think he design each amp around what he though had the best sound possible, after reading a bunch of threads and columns, he kind of preferred Celestions.….
with nothing else being certain, that would be a reasonable direction to go.

if you knew his favorite configuration of size, model, and cabinet (as well as how many cabinets) you could dupicate this.

this seems to be the direction of this thread, and i'm not saying it's a bad one.

just that it might not be universally applicable.

cheers,

unk