Something wrong with Express?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Reeltarded

Re: Something wrong with Express?

Post by Reeltarded »

Is the head sitting on the cabinet when it makes the harsh sound? Sit the head on something several feet away if it is, then crank it up and see if the noise happens.
Ukko75

Post by Ukko75 »

Allmost there!
Moving wires really has big impact on the sound.
jckid649

Post by jckid649 »

I'm having a similar problem myself. My Express build sound dark overall. When I use my HSS strat and switch to single coils and start playing like a low E power cord it is muddy as crap. It sounded bassier and a little darker to me anyway but it seems to be getting worse. I had been having issues with pinging in the pre-amp tubes but I got that fixed and now both of my power tubes are pinging when I play heavy chords. My tubes don't glow blue they glow more of an orange color. The pinging is getting worse and the sound is getting muddier.
Ukko75

Post by Ukko75 »

I think that moving vires could help bassynes. It is strange that LP sounds quite good, but strat does not sound att all. Now my amp sound with strat pretty good when guitar volume is less that 8.

Tubes glowes diffrent. JJ`s allmost not glowes att all (you have to look them right angle to see). Winged c glowes all the time.

How would you describe pinging sound?
jckid649

Post by jckid649 »

Ukko75 wrote:
How would you describe pinging sound?
When you hit a heavy low bass note you can hear what sounds like someone shaking a tambourine inside the tubes.
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

Did you check that the 1 meg resistor on the input is 1 meg? When you change the volume on your axe, you the output impedance. Check your cables, too for no resistance between tip and sleeve. If you can dime all the controls with no oscillation, you've got the wires where they belong.

The tambourine sound is undoubtedly a tube.
jckid649

Post by jckid649 »

Jackie Treehorn wrote:Did you check that the 1 meg resistor on the input is 1 meg? When you change the volume on your axe, you the output impedance. Check your cables, too for no resistance between tip and sleeve. If you can dime all the controls with no oscillation, you've got the wires where they belong.

The tambourine sound is undoubtedly a tube.
I think I may have a couple bad power tubes. But I think I have fixed the tone. The middle pot was really scratchy so I drilled a small hole into the body and sprayed some lubricant inside and now the tone is fine and even.
Ukko75

Post by Ukko75 »

When testing oscillation with amp dimed is the guitar plugged? Or is it just the amp without guitar cable and guitar?
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I use a cut off dead plug in the input.
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

Do you mean shorted?