Second Rocket Style Build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jeff12

Second Rocket Style Build

Post by jeff12 »

Well I had to do it. My first build was a Rocket style amp (more like an AC30 in some ways) so I decided to build a more traditional Rocket style amp.
Close but not exact. I blame this build on all the recent rocket build posts on the forum if my wife asks. :D Have yet to finish the cabinet but she powered up tonight with sound and no smoke. :D Used 280v taps on HTS-9144 power transformer for this build, I used lower voltage taps on last one. Also used 100 ohm adjustable resistor for R27 same as on first build. used HTS-8093-1 output transformer. Love the sound so far, have yet to tweak it. I will post more as it completes. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Koop

Re: Second Rocket Style Build

Post by Koop »

Looks great! What finish will you put on the cab?
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

Koop wrote:Looks great! What finish will you put on the cab?
Tru Oil.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Very nice Jeff, have you run out of transformers yet :lol:

Mark
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

M Fowler wrote:Very nice Jeff, have you run out of transformers yet :lol:

Mark
Nope not yet, should have enough for the winter. :D
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

Here are a couple more pictures of today's progress. Holes drilled for chassis screws in cabinet and first coat of Tru Oil. Oh can't forget the name.
This is the Los Angeles Railway Rocket. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

All Done. I like this amp. Has a different sound from the first Rocket I built.
A little heavier sounding turned up and better bottom end. Very useful sounds. :D
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

jeff12 wrote:All Done. I like this amp. Has a different sound from the first Rocket I built.
A little heavier sounding turned up and better bottom end. Very useful sounds. :D
What did you do different on this one?
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

Colossal wrote:
jeff12 wrote:All Done. I like this amp. Has a different sound from the first Rocket I built.
Mallory pvc caps on this one, Sozo on the first, carbon film vs carbon comp resistors on the first one, carbon pec pot on this build plastic pec pot on the first. 8 henry inductor on the first, proper 15 henry inductor this time.
Higher B+ voltage this time than the first build(used low voltage tap on edcore Pt on first build HV tap on Heyborer Pt this time). Also better quality wire on this build. Different manufacturer on bypass caps. I think in general a better overall build quality after having built a few amps since the first build.
tele caster

Post by tele caster »

That tru oil finish looks nice. Where do you get that?
jeff12

Post by jeff12 »

tele caster wrote:That tru oil finish looks nice. Where do you get that?
I found the best price on Amazon.com.
Searched Birchwood Casey Tru Oil.
I like this stuff, smooth as glass finish easy to touch up and the wood looks more natural. :D
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Great looking amps!
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

jeff12 wrote:
Colossal wrote:
Mallory pvc caps on this one, Sozo on the first, carbon film vs carbon comp resistors on the first one, carbon pec pot on this build plastic pec pot on the first. 8 henry inductor on the first, proper 15 henry inductor this time.
Higher B+ voltage this time than the first build(used low voltage tap on edcore Pt on first build HV tap on Heyborer Pt this time). Also better quality wire on this build. Different manufacturer on bypass caps. I think in general a better overall build quality after having built a few amps since the first build.
Nice amps! I'd love to hear some clips to hear the differences the parts choices made.

Also, where'd you source the carbon and and plastic PEC pots? I've always bought from AES and I think those are just carbon. I didn't know there were plastic available, too.
cbass

Post by cbass »

tele caster wrote:That tru oil finish looks nice. Where do you get that?
your local gun shop probably has some.
tele caster

Post by tele caster »

Thanks, yup local gun shop has tru oil. I read somewhere that walmart has it as well, but haven't checked.