What EL84's do you like?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

George61

Re: What EL84's do you like?

Post by George61 »

Not that I'm an expert on EL84's, or anything else for that matter, but I do have two amps that use EL84's. Both amps are homemade; a 'Marshall' 36 watter and a Rocket clone. I have two sets of matched tubes; new production JJ and Russian 6N14N-EB. I prefer the JJ's in both amps. The Russian tubes are very detailed, a bit too much for a guitar amp. At low volume, with no threat of any breakup, the Russian tubes are great for jazz.

Solder on,
George
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

Thanks for the responses. With regards to the Russian Saratovs, aren't these still in production as the Mullard reissue EL84M? If so, has anyone compared these to the older production?
Tillydog

Post by Tillydog »

garlin wrote:There is NOTHING - no kind of tube or amp or speaker - that can come close to improving your sound than practicing correctly (slow.....yes.....s..l..o..w)....and relaxed and practice a lot. This will be immediately proven to you after a few days of several hours a day practicing.
Tone is in your mind, ears , and hands.
- Garlin
That should win some sort of prize for being the truest statement on the whole internet! :D

Must get back to practising.... :oops:

Andy
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

I think it was Frank Zappa who said "Shut up & play"
If I devoted half the time I spend on building amps, I'd probably be half way decent by now.
Probably...
:roll:
Why Aye Man
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

But as an amp builder it is very important to us to discuss tubes.

I don't just build an occasional one or two amps, I build a lot of amps and tube brand choice changes as the manufacturing quality changes. I like some of the new tubes coming out Sino, Sunrise, Sovtek changes, etc.

I get consistent great tone with JJ tubes and love Sino-Chinese for high gain amps or noise areas. JJ ECC83 Gold pin tubes for high gain low noise.

NOS is great but can't afford.

Mark
rp

Post by rp »

Bob S wrote:I think it was Frank Zappa who said "Shut up & play"
If I devoted half the time I spend on building amps, I'd probably be half way decent by now. Probably... :roll:
Me too, and I'd be happy for 1/4 way decent. However in his time FZ could go to Radio Shack and get RCA tubes, so of course he didn't care.
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

Practice? You've got one rehearsal and it's happening now. 8)
Richie

Post by Richie »

Alot i believe depends on the amp the tubes will be used in. Some amps run EL84s at levels that cook most NOS EL84s,unless they are more like 7189 ratings like some of the Sovtek tubes etc. Plus depends on how the amp is biased or running those tubes. Some will be a fine line of what will hold up,what won't.
Sometimes depending on the amp, you may not hear a huge difference in the sound or tone. Some you will. Many years ago EI made some EL84s. And i was retubing an amp,with tubes the person brought to tube tube the amp.
Put them in after checking everything. The amp[AC15] did not sound as good.
So i put the old EI tubes back in the amp. Poof, sounded great again.
So yeah the old tubes that were over 1.5yrs old sounded better than the new tubes.
Alot of times power tubes can also be microphonic, or have rumbles,rattles and things like that. So that might also matter if its a head or combo.

These threads go in all directions sometimes. I agree with alot said here.
Yes practice makes perfect. Tone is in the mind, heart and hands.

But lets also say someone hands you a Teisco Del Ray with the strings 1/2" off the neck, and a SS Kingston amplifier to plug it into.
How good you can play,or how ever much you put into it will NOT sound as good as a good guitar amp and speakers, with all other parts combined.

Some are gifted with music, it comes natural to them, they make it look easy. They play any instrument.
Some or others, no amount of practice will help. They just don't have the thing whatever that is to play an instrument.
And even all that doesn't matter,because many that don't play,LOVE music or the sound.
Many of the best inovators of music, guitars and amps, NEVER played guitar!
Leo, and Jim Marshall just a start.
Yeah we all need to practice to get better, but i think both play a part.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Wow Richie how did you know my first guitar was a 3/4 Kingston and a SS Kingston amp :)

Mark
rawnster

Post by rawnster »

garlin wrote:
Jackie Treehorn wrote:Thanks for the responses. With regards to the Russian Saratovs, aren't these still in production as the Mullard reissue EL84M? If so, has anyone compared these to the older production?
In my 50 years of playing guitar I have noticed that most guitar players would rather talk about all this kind of distraction than practice and play. There is NOTHING - no kind of tube or amp or speaker - that can come close to improving your sound than practicing correctly (slow.....yes.....s..l..o..w)....and relaxed and practice a lot. This will be immediately proven to you after a few days of several hours a day practicing.
Tone is in your mind, ears , and hands.
- Garlin
Garlin, you do know that this is an AMP forum? :-) We like to talk about electronic components that affect tone and such. Practicing is overrated. Just set your digital delay to triplets with long tail, play one note, and DANG....you've got a wall of sound. :P

oh yeah, Saratov el84's are the bomb. Wish I could find more of them.
I Hate being bi-polar; It's awesome!
rawnster

Post by rawnster »

garlin wrote:I take it you don't want to have to practice, just use your delay and you sound like you're a monster, right? My advice is most needed by someone like you. Why don't you post your delay settings and then advise young beginners like yourself that this is the bomb - you don't have to practice - you don't have to be any good!
You clearly don't get my sarcasm. yes, I've practiced till my fingers have gone numb...countless hours in jazz band rehearsals, numerous bands, actually taught bass and guitar for years....bla bla bla. Yes we get it...to be proficient at an instrument you need to practice. But hey, this is an amp forum, not a "practice till you puke" blog.

On a more important note: Does anyone have a line on some Saratov el84s?
rawnster

Post by rawnster »

garlin wrote:
rawnster wrote:
garlin wrote:I take it you don't want to have to practice, just use your delay and you sound like you're a monster, right? My advice is most needed by someone like you. Why don't you post your delay settings and then advise young beginners like yourself that this is the bomb - you don't have to practice - you don't have to be any good!
You clearly don't get my sarcasm. yes, I've practiced till my fingers have gone numb...countless hours in jazz band rehearsals, numerous bands, actually taught bass and guitar for years....bla bla bla. Yes we get it...to be proficient at an instrument you need to practice. But hey, this is an amp forum, not a "practice till you puke" blog.

I made the suggestion once. What's your problem?
You're not very good at sarcasm. I sell a practice puke bag. They're only $39.99- reusable and with a built in metronome. - Garlin
On a more important note: Does anyone have a line on some Saratov el84s?
What?

never mind. You should just keep your posts to the Garage Talk section. Way more appropriate for this type of useless banter.

...back to building an amp now. :(
rp

Post by rp »

Smooth segue back on track: What exactly is the difference btwn '60s, '70s, '80s, & current Saratovs? Can anyone provide a quick timeline of the company? What is it now, Reflektor? Sovtek? Who else is re-branding these - eg JJ, TAD, Tungsol, EH? Have the Saratovs actually changed that much in the current versions - structural and sound? Anyone ever buy on ebay from the guy in Bulgaria, from others in Russia etc? How do I know I'm not just getting re-silk screened current Sovteks instead of '70s Saratovs if I ordered from Bulgaria, or is that just a given :?
Richie

Post by Richie »

M Fowler wrote:Wow Richie how did you know my first guitar was a 3/4 Kingston and a SS Kingston amp :)

Mark
I think it shows how old we are.. :wink: Didn't everyone own one of those back then? You know, i never though of that till i wrote the reply. So i went on you tube, and OMG, there is all kinds of info on them. :shock:
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I paid $84 for the Kingston guitar and amp set new and sold it for $64 on trade for a new Univox copy of an ebony Les Paul Custom which was stolen from me in the Marines.

I don't miss the Kingston but would love to have my univox back.

Sorry for the derailment.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.