What EL84's do you like?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Jackie Treehorn

What EL84's do you like?

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

I bought a quad of Electro Harmonix EL84's on a whim and they're not really doing it for me; they don't really have that vox-esque, chimey-crunch. I was using the cheap Sovteks before, but they're a bit muddy and unreliable.

Is there a clear winner in the new production tubes?
redshark

Re: What EL84's do you like?

Post by redshark »

Russian "old" sovteks labeled 6P14P. You can still get them on ebay. There are diferent types of this tubes made by the russian with military specs. These were Ken's favorite EL-84's besides the obvious mullard, telefunken and valvos. I think these are the ones people calls Saratov because of the plant they were manufactured.
These tubes are rated @ 14 watts instead of 12 watts like regular EL-84's and that is why they can take the rocket's punishment of hot bias.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

For the price, the Russian 6p14p-ev's from the 1970's are very good.
Very, very good. :wink:
I have a bunch of good nos Euro & US quads.
The Russian tubes are as good as any of them to my humble ears.
Why Aye Man
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

The 6P14-ev's have outstanding treble range and detail.

The NOS Mullards are better in the bass and midrange.

John
xtian

Post by xtian »

Bob S wrote:For the price, the Russian 6p14p-ev's from the 1970's are very good.
Good place to look for these?

Also, Saratov 12 ax7?
rock_mumbles

Post by rock_mumbles »

xtian wrote:
Bob S wrote:For the price, the Russian 6p14p-ev's from the 1970's are very good.
Good place to look for these?

Also, Saratov 12 ax7?
As far as I know there isn't a Saratov 12AX7, the Svetlana 6N2P is electrically equivalent but uses a different socket wiring.

It's getting harder to find 70's 6P14P-EV's, ones from the 80's are available on ebay ... I've bought them from several ebay sellers ...
There are more 6P14P tubes available, they are a bit darker (maybe) more like a JJ EL84 ... all of the Reflektor (Saratov) EL84's are rated 14 watt dissipation not 12 watt ...
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I've had great luck with the Saratov 6P14P tubes in all three Rockets. I found several sources that have since dried up. I'm not a big fan of ebay, but they show up there now and then. They should still be affordable.
Going back a few years I found them for $4 apiece, which has climbed to around $9. I have had the same set in my main gigging amp for over two years and they are still going strong.
Here's a link to a chart showing some of the variations...
http://www.tubes.ru/techinfo/HiFiAudio/6p14p.html

I have used JJs as well, which worked well. I also have a set of used Mullards that a friend gave me that I have not tried yet. I don't know how much life is left in those tubes.
2tone

6p14p

Post by 2tone »

Ken preferred the commercial tube (6p14p) to the military ev version because he thought they were a little sweeter. maybe to some people, darker, but perfect in liverpools and even Rockets. The commercial version were the tube shipped in new Trainwrecks. The commercial version is plenty rugged also. I ran a set over a year in my high voltage Rocket no problems...
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I've tried many different EL84 type tubes and I keep going back to JJ EL84's because they handle the plate voltage and the tone is great.

Mark
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

I agree with Mark. At least among the current production types I've tried, the JJ's sound great and seem to hold up well.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
2tone

JJ's

Post by 2tone »

I agree that the JJ's hold up well and sound good. That's why most builders use them. However in some amps they can be slightly harsh or uneven when pushed..But in general they are hard to beat.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

Tried some TADs as well as the JJs. I seem to remember liking the JJs more, but both were good (hopefully they are not the same tube with different labels, just for my credibility). Still run everything with the 6P14s.
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

In the Rocket I sold my buddy the JJ EL84's are holding up great and sound good doing so. I've had great luck with JJ power tubes (6L6's, EL34's and E34L's), don't ever really use their preamp tubes, but I know many people who do use them with great success (i.e. they use JJ's in most of their amp repairs).

Also FWIW the Sino 5AR4 in that same Rocket has proven to be a great rectifier as well. I can't necessarily say it drops the same amount of voltage as an old 5AR4 (although I have compensated for this in other manners), it hasn't hickuped or caused a single problem in the two years or so that it's been in service thus far. Getter is still nice and shiny too! I think the general online consensus is that these are pretty dang decent rectifiers for the money.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
Buschman

Post by Buschman »

Tesla hexplates. They are not terribly expensive yet and last a good while.
I've got blisters on my fingers!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

JJs and NOS Saratovs!