Rockster Booster

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

hans-jörg

Rockster Booster

Post by hans-jörg »

Hello,
somebody experiance with this booster?
When the pot is turned down remains there the "original " circuit sound of the Rocket?
I think so but I´m not shure.

I know the other possibilities of boosting the Rocket (cathode Cs, tone stack lift etc.) but this looks rearly interesting if the circuit is not tangented. More "adault" :D

Best

Hans-Jörg
M Fowler

Re: Rockster Booster

Post by M Fowler »

Not aware of the Rockster booster your talking about using a pot?

If your talking about adding a switch to engage a cathode bypass capacitor on second gain stage. Yes it will be stock in off position. If I use a mini toggle switch then I like to have center position off (normal Rocket) down I add a 1uf/25v cap and up a 10uf/25v cap.

Mark
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

Hello Mark,
sorry, I forgot the link: http://www.rjguitars.net/Rocket_Booster.html

This kind I meaned.
Till now I used the kath. bypass boost or the dumbleish PAB. All work well.
But I found now this from RJ and wanted to hear some experiance.
There is a pot (boost gain?). With full down is it neutral?

Hans-Jörg
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have not tried that boost but there is an unused triode one could play with.

Mark
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Post by LeftyStrat »

I've wondered what it would be like to have that extra triode stage switchable, but I think what might be more interesting is to do something like the third stage in an Express, a cold biased stage and no bypass cap.

You'd probably need to dump some signal like the original Express with a lower value grid leak.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Since I have been sick I played around with the 4th stage in my monster, and added a 5th stage to play with.

Split plate load wins!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Reeltarded wrote:Split plate load wins!
On what stage! Details, damn you.

[img:400:287]http://bite-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-co ... -brown.jpg[/img]
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Haven't finished deciding! Every one after the first, afaict. I just fell in love with it, I am probably not in a mental state to declare anything right now. hahaha Especially on the cold biased stages.

100k_1.8k//.68u-470/470

1M volume with 470k to ground from output (fatness!)

68/33k_9.7k5//.1u 470/470 <--- this one omg why didn't you guys say so!!?

68/33k_10k 470/470

(portable 5th stage) 100kL Alpha (rofl no fire, yet) 10k switchable to 2.8ishK or 860r 470/470. I tried mixing it all kinds of ways and splitting 30/70 and using it like a distortion unit. That was perrty cool. 2.8 cathode with a 50/50 split to 470k mixers is a good stage too, I just can't decide if before or after the third stage.

Last stage is the expected 820R//.68u then 56k CF. i want to play with a split 100k CF when I have the energy to actually tear all that down. Not today.

That second stage (9.75//.1u) was a raging monkey to tame in the first amp, and insane in this one. Backing it off 30% made the amp sound mature instead of like a complete tantrum. Now that I settled there, for now, the last 15% of gain pot rotation is useful and actually changes the tone.

This amp is sanctioned violence.

The 5th stage is just for playing what-if with for now. I am learning a lot of things from that scary assed 100k pot that I watch like a hawk. Is there any pot you can leave in there with high voltage across it? Turn your amp down before you change the split ratio with a pot! ALSO SCARY!!

I need to order some RG-174/U from Steve but I have been to sick to do much of anything except read and make yuck noises. Those late middle stages have a foot of wire in both directions. My wire sucks!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

Reeltarded wrote:(portable 5th stage) 100kL Alpha (rofl no fire, yet) 10k switchable to 2.8ishK or 860r 470/470. I tried mixing it all kinds of ways and splitting 30/70 and using it like a distortion unit. That was perrty cool. 2.8 cathode with a 50/50 split to 470k mixers is a good stage too, I just can't decide if before or after the third stage.

This amp is sanctioned violence.
Nice man! Audio violence: that's violence we can all love. Hope you beat that cold soon.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

If there was a trimmer you could trust with B+ on it like that, I am convinced over the course of a week you could dial in magic on any good amp that you would never find without it. I don't have enough courage or 100k pots to do them all variable.. but I will. ;)

If the amp is too bright, you just dump a lil of the brightest stage, and make it up from something unbypassed and later. I don't know if 100% is the optimal mix for any stage now. Like 90% and lower = better. Potential isn't always optimal, huh?

I am not sure I have the right caps for bypassing plates later on to do the job. As you trim you can definately hear possibilities.

Not to mention trimming the stage mixers. omg get a drink, we are going to be very busy. :)
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

Ha, I´m dreaming from an amp where all resistors are trimmer - a nightmare! You will find a dozend of perfect sounds. Than you have to go midi to store them and than ...
But for now I´v a Rockster Booster schem in the hand and wonder if the sound remains "Rocketish" when this fifth pot is turned down.
Before I don´t know it - I don´t drill a hole to chassis (at least :D )

http://www.rjguitars.net/Rocket_Booster.html

Best

Hans-Jörg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

It is a paralleled stage. It should be pretty much the same..
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

hans-jörg wrote:Ha, I´m dreaming from an amp where all resistors are trimmer - a nightmare! You will find a dozend of perfect sounds. Than you have to go midi to store them and than ...
But for now I´v a Rockster Booster schem in the hand and wonder if the sound remains "Rocketish" when this fifth pot is turned down.
Before I don´t know it - I don´t drill a hole to chassis (at least :D )

http://www.rjguitars.net/Rocket_Booster.html

Best

Hans-Jörg
When the Boost pot is all the way down, it places the bottom of C9 at ground, which is exactly like the stock amp sans booster circuit. This will not affect the original tone of the amp when it's all the way down.

And it looks like a neat little trick!
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:
And it looks like a neat little trick!
Yeah it does! I was thinking that orphaned 5th stage in my Bruisemaker might have just found another research project.
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

Thank you.
I thought so too. The only what I dont want to loose is this overwhelming clean to mean on the guitar pot.
No amp is like a TW hanging on this volume pot and I ignore any mod which kills this action.

Best

Hans-Jörg