A3801 value?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

aaronz28

A3801 value?

Post by aaronz28 »

I scored an old one that was in. Homebrew amp.
Im gonna try it in my Express clone but im curious as to what these have realistically sold for?

Anyone know?

Thanks

Aaron
What?
selloutrr

Re: A3801 value?

Post by selloutrr »

Ok they made several versions

Original model with ID tag. Black cloth leads:

NOS $100. Used w/long leads $85. Short leads $50

Most common model black with bell cover stamp:

NOS $175. Used $150 short leads $100

Grey bell covers last production model

NOS $200. Used $175 short leads $125

The grey bell was the OEM TW and built on machinery subcontracted by Stancor with Teflon leads.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
aaronz28

Post by aaronz28 »

thanks -
mine is the old one with the cotton wires -
i just hooked it up (with jumpers) once I figured out the colors (which are nearly all faded to the same shade of grey/beige LOL)

its definitely smoother and perhaps a tad gainier than the Pacific - is this typical with the Heyboer clones? or is it because its 50plus years old LOL

i'm a little hesitant to install it permanently because of the cotton wires
cheers

Aaron
What?
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

I'm not understanding the heybour reference.
The stancor is a smoother, softer breakup, hifi OT.
aaronz28

Post by aaronz28 »

the reference was -
i was considering ordering a heyboer clone of the A3801
i have a pacific in the amp now - and the stancor (to me) sounds smoother and more pleasing.

but given the cotton leads, i'm a little concerned to run it..
What?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

If the leads worry you just put some shrink tubing over the leads. But really unless the wires are bare there is no problem I have amps with cloth leads on the PT and OT.

Mark
redshark

Post by redshark »

selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Second the heat shrink. If the leads really bother you you can have new ones put one. It runs about $150 plus shipping.
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

If the leads on the Stancor concern you that much, trade it with me for a new, unused Toneslut Heyboer 11415.
Been jonesin for a 3801.
Bob
Why Aye Man
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Not to dash anyone's spirits but if you want the correct iron for a TW tone you need the grey bell cover. It wasn't just a cosmetic change. The lam's do not have a center notch, the wire was different as were the winding methods. Along with Teflon leads. The grey bell offered 20% lower noise floor, and improved clarity. You would probably be closer to a grey bell with a heyboer clone then a black bell cover.
redshark

Post by redshark »

selloutrr wrote:Not to dash anyone's spirits but if you want the correct iron for a TW tone you need the grey bell cover. It wasn't just a cosmetic change. The lam's do not have a center notch, the wire was different as were the winding methods. Along with Teflon leads. The grey bell offered 20% lower noise floor, and improved clarity. You would probably be closer to a grey bell with a heyboer clone then a black bell cover.
that makes sense..or even closer with pacifics.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

If you have the KF line card Pacific no they were not 100% Stancor they were custom made with improvements on the Stancor design. I'm not sure what exact specs the clone pacific iron is built to. You can go pretty far from the actual parts and still have a nice sounding amp but if you have all the OEM correct parts it's a very special thing.
redshark

Post by redshark »

selloutrr wrote:If you have the KF line card Pacific no they were not 100% Stancor they were custom made with improvements on the Stancor design. I'm not sure what exact specs the clone pacific iron is built to. You can go pretty far from the actual parts and still have a nice sounding amp but if you have all the OEM correct parts it's a very special thing.
So you think the heyboer is closer to the Stancor than the pacific itself? I don't think all the JM reissues have OEM correct parts. There may be a few that are closer but it would be almost imposible for him to do that.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

JM has access to the correct line cards KF created they are not available outside of TW. The first half dozen builds JM reissued were made with NOS 90's pacific iron. Later builds are TW circuit line card parts and Ken's surplus.

The second closest iron would be the pacific iron run made for K&M that was a rip from Ken's line card without permission. This directly caused the line card to be made private. The iron that has been produced since is not 100% identical.

Komet has used heyboer iron as a replacement Trainwreck amps before JM. though no records show heyboer production iron as the OEM. Heyboer produces the bulk of the iron for Komet with Ken's blessing.

If it was easy I would have been done with this project a long time ago. It's been 8 years now of searching for parts, history, and knowledge, and Im still not finished. My averaged cost per amp in parts in about $3600 after shipping and parts that turned out NFG. I've spent more in parts/shipping then it would have cost to buy a KF build today. My suggestion save up and buy an authentic build JM / KF or build a clone and use the BOM and enjoy it for what it is.
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

Couldn't someone unwind one and figure it out?

John