First Express Build

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

beasleybodyshop

First Express Build

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Starting my first Express build. Bent and welded up a chassis this weekend. Gave me an excuse to try my new TIG out :D i cut it out of 14ga aluminum scrap piece I had that was just big enough. Also drilled my face/back plates. I toyed around with the all wood vibe, but I think im going to build/tolex the cab out of some euro-ply I have laying around work. Thinking about going with some classictone iron , as I had good experiences with them in my plexi build.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
Smokebreak

Re: First Express Build

Post by Smokebreak »

Talk about a scratch build!
Classictone is nice. If you wanted to try something else member RJ has some really nice Edcor iron at competitive prices.
beasleybodyshop

Smokebreak wrote:Talk about a scratch build!
Classictone is nice. If you wanted to try something else member RJ has some really nice Edcor iron at competitive prices.
Yeah I took all the specs for the chassis off the Trainwreck files section. Talk about all the info you need! I also picked up several feet of heavy stranded copper electrical cable that i tore the strands out of to use for ground buss - I like to use scrap and leftover stuff whenever I can. Beginning to source out all the small parts - any tips on anything that is difficult to find?

also, I went with a 1/4 inch lip on the chassis, looking back I should have gone for a 1/2 inch lip....didnt see a spec for that in the files, but I could have overlooked it.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
beasleybodyshop

Update:

all sockets attached. Boards came in, big shout out to Watt's tube audio for Francesca boards....also wired in the heaters. Somewhere out there, im sure Reeltarded and Cbass are remembering my last fiasco with wiring them up - ive gotten much better! Oh yeah, scored a nice piece of Paduak for building the cabinet. It was the same price as Cherry at my local hardwood lumber yard, but at just the right width (Their cherry was a few inches too short.

Party on Wayne.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

If your going to run the traditional TW Express cap stack trial fit that in before committing to drilling the tone board and bias board mounting holes.

The tone board may need to go all the way to the end of the chassis for clearance.

Mark
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

double post
Last edited by M Fowler on Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beasleybodyshop

M Fowler wrote:If your going to run the traditional TW Express cap stack trial fit that in before committing to drilling the tone board and bias board mounting holes.

The tone board may need to go all the way to the end of the chassis for clearance.

Mark
Mark, I decided to use cap cans for this build. Im going to use a VVR and I really want that real estate up front.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Oh Okay I like using can caps myself very easy but still need to watch the space.

Putting the preamp filter caps on the tone board really frees up a lot of space but that requires a whole different tone board layout then the boards you have already.

Have fun.

I've done the can caps on Express but here is a Rocket I built for rj.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Hey Mark, I like that mint board you have in that one. Where might one find that stuff? :)
JazzGuitarGimp

Post by JazzGuitarGimp »

Beasley, I'm surprised you didn't punch and drill all the holes while it was still "in the flat". Seems it would have been easier.
Lou Rossi Designs
Printed Circuit Design & Layout,
and Schematic Capture
beasleybodyshop

JazzGuitarGimp wrote:Beasley, I'm surprised you didn't punch and drill all the holes while it was still "in the flat". Seems it would have been easier.
Throat on my drill press wasnt big enough. I wished I could, It would have made things much easier. I TIG'ed up some more chassis last week, I think I will just take them to a metal shop and have them punch it out next time. looks cleaner than drilling and deburring.
beasleybodyshop

M Fowler wrote:Oh Okay I like using can caps myself very easy but still need to watch the space.

Putting the preamp filter caps on the tone board really frees up a lot of space but that requires a whole different tone board layout then the boards you have already.

Have fun.

I've done the can caps on Express but here is a Rocket I built for rj.
Woah. Nice build. Very clean! That lead dress gives me some inspiration when all my small parts come in.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

No idea where rj got that mint board. :)

I just wanted to show how easy it is to wire up the TW tone board when using can caps nice short leads. JJ 50/50 and JJ 40/20/20/20.
beasleybodyshop

Update: Paduak all ripped up.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Sweet looking wood.