The Rocket prototype

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

The Rocket prototype

Post by Mark »

I had finished building a Rocket prototype.

It's pretty much the same circuit that Matt Taylor posted up with the exception of the 220K resistor between the treble control and the P.I. input that was omitted.

I'm a big fan of AC-30's though I have felt in the past that they don't break up enough (with my Strat.) I did play a AC-30 reissue amp with Celestion Blue speakers some time ago and I thought the amp sounded too stiff. I did try playing a few different guitars through the amp but I still didn't like it.

I do really like the prototype amp. it has a good range of clean tones and the distorted tones are what I like most about the amp. My Strat that is equipt with Kinmans (purely to inform, not to plug :wink: ) sounded really good through this amp, the back pickup sounded balanced and in no thin.

Anyway, I hope to record the prototype and let you guys hear it for yourselves.

Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
wrecked

Re: The Rocket prototype

Post by wrecked »

Hey Mark!

Sounds awesome and I can't wait to hear some clips! What'd you end up doing for the first stage coupling cap and did you decide to bypass the second stage cathode? What about B+1 capacitance? I've got so many questions... :)

Matt
Chris G

What iron did you use?

Post by Chris G »

Hi Mark,
What iron did you use on this amp?how's she sound?????
thanks
Chris :D
Omar

Post by Omar »

How 'bout some pics?

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Mark

The prototype.

Post by Mark »

The amp is a prototype, so it's not a pretty thing to look at.

Regarding the build, I put all the amp components on a second version of the Rocket layout that I have yet to post, it's pretty much the same layout minus the 33K input resistor which I mounted directly on the valve socket, I also left out the 220K resistor that is between the treble control wiper and the P.I. stage.

As far as the amp goes it is only a 15 watt version due to the iron I have.

The power supply is typical Trainwreck with the exception of the first two filter caps which is a LCR 50/50uF can cap, the choke is a New Sensor twin reverb one, the output transformer is a New Sensor 022913 (I think)12 watt output transformer the primary impedance is 8.5K which is pretty much ideal.
The power transformer is the massive one I got wound for my Liverpool project.

As far as component choice goes I stuck with all the standard AC-30 values, that being the 500pF coupling cap, and I didn't bypass the second stages 1.5K cathode resistor, I was certain that I would have to do this to get a decent amount of gain. I shall experiment with this later though.

I have experimented with the use of a 1.5K resistor and a 3.3K resistor for the cathode of the first stage. I have found the 1.5K to be a tiny bit warmer than the 3.3K resistor, I put this down to the fact that the 500pF cap would roll off a lot of the extra warmth and gain provided by the 1.5K resistor value. That said, I shall put a signal in and see what the scope says.

I've probably said quite a bit previously about this amp. I do beleive that we shouldn't overlook this amp, particularly if your an AC-30 fan as I am.

I'll try and get onto recording the amp as soon as I can, and let you all hear what it sounds like, it is quite a bit different to the Express, and that is when using the same output transformer.

Any further question feel free to send me an email.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
toddyjoe

BUMP: Status of Rocket prototype?

Post by toddyjoe »

Mark, I am curious to hear how your Rocket prototype has progressed since the last post a couple of weeks ago. Any soundclips yet?

I must say, I have always been intrigued by the Rocket idea (a 'Wrecked AC-30) and have been even more intrigued since I saw your posting about the prototype.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Dear TJ

Regretably, I have been very busy with a couple of different builds of late, not mention work. :(

I will have to line up my friend with the recorder soon, and lay down those tracks.

Yours Sincerly

Mark Abbott.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
toddyjoe

Post by toddyjoe »

Not a problem. I'll just go listen to your other Wreck clips for awhile. :)