Opinions on rocket PS filtering sought

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

KellyBass

Opinions on rocket PS filtering sought

Post by KellyBass »

I'm starting on a new cost-is-no-object rocket reverb project soon...for a client (my first w/verb). I was looking through my parts and I have an atom 100uf cap that I'm tempted to use in place of the standard 80uf. I wouldn't even consider this except for a great piece of luck I had recently. I bought a box of worthless tubes at an estate sale and, lo and behold, the one tube that was worth anything was a sparkling new Mullard GZ34. So, should I proceed with the robust rocket PS, or sell the mullard and put one of my kids through college?
This message has been printed using 100% recycled electrons.
Mark

Re: Opinions on rocket PS filtering sought

Post by Mark »

I suspect you will kill that Mullard. I haven't had my Rocket going long enough to comment about reliability but there is always a fingers in ears moment when turning it on.

Possibly a better idea is O'Conner's idea of using a large choke and have that before the main supply, check out the Vox section.
Last edited by Mark on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
overtone

Post by overtone »

This Rocket is going to someone else, right?
Your call, but to my mind that is not the best situation to step beyond the published ratings.

tony
KellyBass

Post by KellyBass »

Great advice, guys. Thanks. I'd really hate to kill that mullard. I recently built an asteroid that eats jj's like crazy. I'm nervous even using it in that amp. I'm currently running a copper cap.

I'm gonna see if I can find that O'connor article.
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

Are you talking about putting the choke before the plates? That would make it pretty stiff. I would go the opposite route and go 40 mf or lower.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

Just remember that the 60uf rating for the GZ34 is a full current (volume) rating.
KellyBass

Post by KellyBass »

I found the O'connor article...he suggests a mod for a Vox AC30 in which
he recommends placing a 100uF cap AND a choke prior to the output transformer power supply node.

Shortly thereafter in the same article, he suggests a further mod...switching to a SS power supply! I will stick with the 80uf and be happy...my next project is a 200 watt Sunn-ish bass amp. 1600uf of reservoir!and a string of uf4007's .
Roe

Post by Roe »

KellyBass wrote:I found the O'connor article...he suggests a mod for a Vox AC30 in which
he recommends placing a 100uF cap AND a choke prior to the output transformer power supply node.

Shortly thereafter in the same article, he suggests a further mod...switching to a SS power supply! I will stick with the 80uf and be happy...my next project is a 200 watt Sunn-ish bass amp. 1600uf of reservoir!and a string of uf4007's .
I've experimented alot with my ac30, and ended up preferring uf4007s into -CIC/Pi filter with 32uf before choke and 32uf after choke (and 33uf at the screens)

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23052
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s