The Amp that was on Ken's bench when he passed?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jckid649

The Amp that was on Ken's bench when he passed?

Post by jckid649 »

FUCHSAUDIO

Re: The Amp that was on Ken's bench when he passed?

Post by FUCHSAUDIO »

Proud holder of US Patent # 7336165.
steve_p

Post by steve_p »

Does a pair of Brimar EL-34s and 3 tung sol RI 12AX7s constitute $500 in tubes?

From what I understand, Brimar didn't even make EL34s, they generally re-labeled Mullard, RFT, or teslas...
Tough to tell from the pictures, but those look pretty similar to the $100/pair of RFT's I have on my bench.

Steve
overtone

Post by overtone »

yes, tough to tell, but they don't look like RFT EL34s from here.
I see a brown base, no punched through staples and no dimples.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

ken passed the end of 2006. this amp is dated 2005. i find it hard to believe that he didn't touch one amp in that year. plus i didn't get the idea that ken kept komets around for himself. from what i can tell, they sent him some, he named some, signed some, did whatever, and sold them. seems like the writing even says that this is a ken tubed prototype (would be kinda weird to Mod the prototype and them build the pre-mod as your production)
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

:D

Ask that guy how much without the $500 tubes, then ask how much without the headshell.. then ask if you can just have pictures of the knobs close up.

Then ask how much with no knobs.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
Ang3lus

Post by Ang3lus »

priced cheap to move fast...

nice
drbob1

Post by drbob1 »

FWIW, I've talked to the guy selling the amp and played it and had a look inside. I should preface this with the fact that I've never played a real Trainwreck. I've got a Ruby clone and did have a Kendrick Climax for a while. The feel of the amp, even in slow mode, was very Ken-hard attack and great harmonics (using a Page Les Paul from the 90s). It was ungodly loud. The cabinet is finger-jointed, and according to Komet not the cabinet the amp was delivered in, although really good looking.

Looking inside the amp, most of the caps were modern, radials in yellow plastic (I assume those are what Komet is using). There were 2 of the black polyester? caps and one carbon comp resistor-which brings me to think that Ken did actually mod the amp. Chassis was thick aluminum with reinforced corners and it and the transformers were hammerite finish. The guy selling is a nice guy, been around forever (Bizarre Guitars, internet only, Madison Wi) but doesn't know much about amps.

If I were to piece together the story as best I can-Komet left the amp with Ken after their consultation as his. He sold it (see the note on the owners manual that says: "this amp has never been sold before" implying it WAS being sold. So the "last amp on his workbench" is pure dreaming. The cabinet is an owner mod, although a nice one. Tubes are NOT likely what Ken supplied it with, and all modern production (if someone paid $500 for them, they were taken advantage of). Ken did likely mod the circuit slightly.

So, what is a well built Ken mod worth now? Have any changed hands recently, at all? Should it be worth more than a Komet Limited (KF50, Blinky's Revenge) at $5k, a Concorde (the same amp in a tolex box) at $3700, a modern TW at $5k (or slightly less used)? Not sure. I could see a collector paying $8-9k for it...
bnwitt

Unreal

Post by bnwitt »

Just silly holy grail BS
Great things happen in a vacuum
Distortion

Post by Distortion »

I built the cab for the Komet amp which is being discussed.
It was originally built for a Komet 60 that I owned. I ended up selling the amp, but the buyer was not interested in the hardwood cab so it was sold with the original tolex cab.
The hardwood cab was sold to Charlie Daughtery which was to be used for a Komet Charlie owned.
I can't say if this amp was the one owned by Charlie, but I do know this is the exact headcab I sold him.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Larry you did a fantastic job on my Express cab and the two Komet cabs.

I got a lot of wood :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

Yes your materials are as poor as the joinery and lets not start on the finish..

hahah those are insane..
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
cbass

Post by cbass »

Man thems slick
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Thanks Mark...
Now I get to spend all day drooling.
:D
Why Aye Man