Trainwreck PT and OT originals. I have em!

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Re: Trainwreck PT and OT originals. I have em!

Post by M Fowler »

I have one Rocket amp in Nashville being used nonstop that has HT-9144 PT with 560vct and 500vct using JJ EL84's. 280/250-0-250/280

My OT is Dynaclone A470-S
Choke is Hammond 158L

No report of tube problems in 2 years of stage use. :)

But the amp does have a switch for 2 HT settings and another switch for 18w/36w.
rp

Post by rp »

I wasn't too concerned with reliability or tube life, at worst I'd be limited to some hardy brand of EL84s, but I read plenty of posts that KF ran amps on the low side, and that was a big part of the sound. Lots of talk here of 250V taps for the Rocket and LP. I needed world taps so the Hammond 550VCT was pretty much it for me. Not a big deal really, but I want the TW experience and not just have myself an other hot running AC30, DC30 etc. It's hard to exactly predict final voltages but if KF really used a NOS 270-0-270V PT likely wound for 115V then I don't think that Rocket, at least, was running 280V-300V. 340V Vox/Matchless range much more likely and KF and someone must have been happy with it. If my Rocket sounds like a Matchless so be it.
Last edited by rp on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rp

Post by rp »

BTW Mark, as Nashville cats have fine ears, any idea what tap they prefer on that amp? Does it spend most of it's time on 250V or 280V?
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have Pacific transformer 2117 in my Rocket clone.

[img:1024:766]http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s69/ ... dda0a1.jpg[/img]
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

rp wrote:BTW Mark, as Nashville cats have fine ears, any idea what tap they prefer on that amp? Does it spend most of it's time on 250V or 280V?
I don't know I would have to ask.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I bought these new Pacific Express transformer set so I'll see how they work compared to Allynmey's Pacific set and rjguitars Pacific set.
RockingClassElectronics

Post by RockingClassElectronics »

Zippy wrote:
RockingClassElectronics wrote:Can someone point me in the direction of a good Trainwreck clip? Are there any on this forum?
Are you really so lazy that you haven't bothered looking around this website nor YouTube?

You strike me as the frat rat college kid that shows up to a homework session with a bag o' cheap snacks, and expects everyone to share the answers.
Was never in a frat, and completed 3 college degrees all on my own for 6 years right after graduating from a military academy.

You strike me as someone that does nothing except hide behind a fake name and a computer screen and talks shit to everyone, which is textbook definition of a 'troll'. I haven't seen anything constructive from you on this thread from the get-go either. I've shared lots of info on here thus far and I'm working with everyone to figure out what transformers go into what. I do have other things going on like 2 companies to run. Have a nice day, zippity.
Dave Thomas
RockingClassElectronics

martin manning wrote:
RockingClassElectronics wrote:questions:
What would be the actual difference between a 5V filament vs 6.3V?
Not sure what you're asking here. Physically its just a different length and/or gauge of wire so the filament reaches the correct operating temperature on 5V instead of 6.3V.
RockingClassElectronics wrote:I've been looking at some of these layouts and it looks like one of the easiest circuits I've ever seen (Express).
Easy or simple? The Express is a dirt-simple circuit, and because of that there is very little getting in the way of the pure tube tone. That also means it is unconstrained and free to misbehave, so the wiring layout requires extra attention.

RockingClassElectronics wrote:Can someone point me in the direction of a good Trainwreck clip? Are there any on this forum?
Glen K is a TAG member: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_12Ler9B8

Thank you!
Dave Thomas
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

RockingClassElectronics wrote:I've shared lots of info on here thus far and I'm working with everyone to figure out what transformers go into what.
I don't see it that way. You've been guarded about what you "know" and quite free with asking what everyone else here already knows. You don't bother reading what's been posted in the past, and depend on others to do the work for you. For what? You don't contribute anything beyond replicating products that are already available from others. Greed seems to be the driver here. You're out for the fast buck.

Sorry, but you just pegged my BS meter.
Last edited by Zippy on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RockingClassElectronics

[quote="rp"]Mr RockingClassElectronics, how you winding those things?

- paper or plastic bobbin?
- m19/26ga or m6/29ga or other?
- on the PTs for 240V using M6 for 50hz reliability?

Glass filled nylon bobbins

M19/26
Last edited by RockingClassElectronics on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Thomas
RockingClassElectronics

Zippy wrote:
RockingClassElectronics wrote:I've shared lots of info on here thus far and I'm working with everyone to figure out what transformers go into what.
I don't see it that way. You've been guarded about what you "know" and quite free with asking what everyone else here already knows. You don't bother reading what's been posted in the past, and depend on others to do the work for you. For what? You don't contribute anything beyond replicating products that are already available for others. Greed seems to be the driver here. You're out for the fast buck.

Sorry, but you just pegged my BS meter.
Replicating?

Surely you missed the part of my affiliation with Pacific Transformer. We made original parts for Ken, and we are still making those same parts that haven't changed. No offense to the others that sell what else is available, but those are the replication parts (ALSO, made by us) and it gives YOU more options for your wrecks. I personally don't give a shit what you think is BS or not.
Dave Thomas
RockingClassElectronics

Mark wrote:It is good to hear the original iron will be made available.

When will a power transformer be available with a 240vac primary?
Perhaps in the same format as the Classic Tone transformer?

http://www.classictone.net/40-18065.pdf

I the Rocket and Liverpool transformers to be made available?
We have one available for 240 primary. It's just like 11410, but with 240VAC primary.
Dave Thomas
RockingClassElectronics

European Mains
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Thomas
Zippy

RockingClass - The Information Diode w/ Nuclear Delusions

Post by Zippy »

For a light read, a synopsis of the story so far...
RockingClassElectronics wrote:I am not here to resell Pacific Transformers, I am overseeing all the sales and development of audio parts FOR Pacific Transformer, so I am SELLING Pacific Transformers... I am able to have YOUR audio parts replicated, and produced a lot quicker than YOU going to Pacific and doing it yourself.
And you told me that you didn't "replicate".
RockingClassElectronics wrote:Pacific Transformers* only knows parts by their part numbers. They don't however know their part numbers for which amplifiers they were dropped in to... If you know the part number for the Express, I would be really happy to look that up for ya and help you out.

To Zippy:
We have the original spec sheets (since we drew em), but cannot put those out. We make the irons for you.
We don't know what we have but we'll sell it to you.
RockingClassElectronics wrote:Only problem is, those files are under those customer's names, and not by the parts we made for them... What I'm basically saying is: we have em, but it's finding a needle in the haystack. But we're looking come hell or high water. We can also reverse engineer any of the parts any of YOU may have.
Can you help us develop our proprietary knowledge?
RockingClassElectronics wrote:I can't post drawings of our parts schematics on the internet. Maybe somewhere down the line that policy will change regarding certain parts, but that is like asking for missile launch codes. We are here to make the parts.
Too much time in military school.
RockingClassElectronics wrote:Those K&M specs are not the same as Ken's specs. Close...very close, but everyone's gotta tweak something and call it their own. But this is the last I am going to post about 'specs'. What we've got works with all models and sounds/plays great.
We don't know what we've got, but we know it'll work great.
RockingClassElectronics wrote:My business is nukes, I'm not giving out launch codes.
Again with the nuclear dementia. Correction: Your business is wire on a bobbin.
RockingClassElectronics wrote:Another point being, I don't know any of you. You all are not affiliated with Pacific Transformer. I can't give out technical information about the product. It is intellectual property of Pacific Transformer...
Yeah, I've got trust issues with you, too.
RockingClassElectronics wrote:questions:
What would be the actual difference between a 5V filament vs 6.3V?

I don't believe our parts were ever used for a Rocket.
May be a Heyboer.
So much for "What we've got works with all models and sounds/plays great."
RockingClassElectronics wrote:Also out of curiosity, for all of you out there building clones for other people:
Are you selling, have web sites, etc...for your work?

I'm working on designing my own amp-monster, but have never actually played through a Trainwreck's Trainwreck...Can someone point me in the direction of a good Trainwreck clip? Are there any on this forum?
Seriously? Everything is laid out at this website for anyone to learn and you are too busy to bother.

I'm impressed by the kindness of others to you, but don't understand why it prevails. I've seen too much of your "Gimme this", "No, I can't tell you what I know", and "I'm the nuclear command officer."

I am curious how you could get three degrees, as you claim, but I guess a person can buy most anything these days.
RockingClassElectronics

I had a list of things I could give out, and a list of things I could give out. Upon review from everyone else. Was it entirely up to me? No. What I can tell you:
-dimensions
-most materials
-primaries/taps

cant tell you:
-procedures.

You are a crack up.

Everything may be laid out on this site, yes, but under novelas and novels of rhetoric and banter from people such as yourself.
Dave Thomas