DIY Airbrake...

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Grant

Re: DIY Airbrake...

Post by Grant »

can i also get a copy of the schematic/ layout please?

grantac (at) gmail (dot) com

thanks
ampgeek

Post by ampgeek »

Hey Grant,
The BOM for the AB is here:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5691&start=0

It is on one of the spread sheet tabs.

Lots of good info including schematic and build pics in this thread:

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8733

Cheers,
Dave O.
Grant

Post by Grant »

thanks very much dave
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

Just thought I'd throw my $0.02 in about the AB. I see many comments about how wonderful it sounds and I know many guys use them. I have used mine on a multitude of amps and have never experienced a case where is did not screw the sound when any attenuation was used. Glad some of you guys love'm, but they don't work for my ears.

I recommend that you try one before you bother building one.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

vibratoking wrote:Just thought I'd throw my $0.02 in about the AB. I see many comments about how wonderful it sounds and I know many guys use them. I have used mine on a multitude of amps and have never experienced a case where is did not screw the sound when any attenuation was used. Glad some of you guys love'm, but they don't work for my ears.

I recommend that you try one before you bother building one.
What do you prefer to use to achieve a similar result?
vibratoking

Post by vibratoking »

What do you prefer to use to achieve a similar result?
I have used VVR with much better success, but haven't found outboard devices that are acceptable.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Zippy - Hey, since you asked.....

I have built two ABs and eventually passed them on to friends. At best IMO they sort of sound 'OK' if you just use 1 click, maybe 2. In fact, the sonic results were so lame I did wonder if maybe I was missing something in the construction. :shock: But then I found a Kendrick version of the AB, the Fischer authorized one. First of all, let me say that the construction/build quality of that unit was nothing to write home about. I auditioned it using similar gear and, eh, it was the same story.

Too, I think I have owned pretty much every attenuator out there, perhaps everything except the 'Ultimate Attenuator'. And, BTW, I have heard from a person that I trust that the UA is very very good but I have not tried it myself. Eh, it could be good, I would need to try it to be sure.

Anyway, ignoring the UA for now, what I wanted to say is that I like the LarMar PPIMV way better than the ABs (and the other attenuators I have owned). In fact, the two guys that ended up with the ABs I made have now had me install the LarMar in their amps after hearing mine - and now they feel just like I do about the AB. ?? I know the LarMar might seem on paper to be very different from what the AB (and similar devices) is (are) supposed to create at the speaker, but I think the LarMar does a better job of things. True, the AB is supposed to capture OT distortion as it goes to the speaker and the LarMar does not do this. However I would still say the LarMar produces a sound at the speaker that sounds better than anything the AB can do.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Cliff Schecht

Post by Cliff Schecht »

I've always loved the idea of the PPIMV. It's one of those tricks that pretty obvious but works well. I haven't tried one yet, but I suspect you don't hear it too badly until the pot values are down under the 50k-ish mark. Even then, with .1uF coupling caps, rolloff shouldn't be a huge problem. The rolloff maybe even could be a saving grace in some instances. When you start cutting out the bass, you get more focus on the mids which can help the sound as much as it "hurts" it.
Cliff Schecht - Circuit P.I.
istikis

Post by istikis »

I have the schematic and parts list to order a "mouser Spain" but I have a question and would like to help me resolve. This attenuator is used for my amp? (Peavey VK 100watts). and if you can add a "LINEOUT" for direct recording interface sound?. and how to do the LINE OUT?. thank you and please forgive my English so basic and bad.

Greetings from Spain!!!!!!
hopefully someone can answer. thanks
Agu

Resistor Replacement??

Post by Agu »

Hi,
I want to bulit T Air brake, after checking of the Parts (BOM) by mouser, I found that they don't have this resistor [order only up to 18 pieses :( ]:
  • 588-D100K-25 100 Watt/25 ohm Ohmite 210 Series
Cant I replace it with this resistor?:
  • 588-D100K25RE 100watt 25ohm 10% Tubular Ceramic Ohmite D1000 Series
has Someone a sound sample or experience using DIY Air Brake with Class A 5 watt Amp, like epiphone valve special?

Thanks a lot

Best
Agu
t.olsen

Post by t.olsen »

I just finished my AB clone and it works perfectly.One point that really disappoints me is the volume at lowest bedroom setting...I was asking in another guitar forum where people told me the Z Airbrake can go down so much that you can play with a cranked amp at 3 pm in your appartment with your neighbour on the other side of the wall.When my amp is cranked the half way it still blows my roof away and my neighbour will call the police :lol: No idea what's wrong here...I asked Brent from Dr.Z and he told me "the real thing" will work properly...but how can it be - I have build a 100% clone and don't get the result :roll:

Cheers

Timo
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Mr. Olsen,

You need to go over your built and make sure you have followed the schematic closely. There are three versions of the AB posted and not sure which one you built.

Post a picture and perhaps we can spot a problem.

Mark
t.olsen

Post by t.olsen »

Thanks Mark

I already had the intension that the schematics could be wrong.I rewired everything new and took a pic of the real thing instead of schematics.But everything seems to be ok.Have a look on the pic and I hope I made one or 2 mistakes :wink: Just disconnected the cap today as written here before.

[IMG:1024:768]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab34 ... 011012.jpg[/img]

Excuse the poor quality :oops: Done with my mobile phone.If it is too bad I have to take the camera.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

You used layout final C 140 which is a good layout and your wiring matches that pefectly so I do not understand why you would be having problems.

I blew your picture up and lightened it.

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
t.olsen

Post by t.olsen »

Yes everything seems fine and all functions are working well.I guess I have a wrong opinion what bedroom level means...I use a 30 watts Dr. z amp and when the amp starts to go crunchy at 11 it is already far away from bedroom.Don't want to know what a JCM800 would do...my idea was that the values on the parts are wrong but so many people build this clone without complaining that.I am thinking about another rheostad with 300 or even 500 ohms ? I think it doesn't matter but I use a 16 ohm cab.