DIY Airbrake...

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Aharon

Re: DIY Airbrake...

Post by Aharon »

Maybe somebody can email it to me too......(thanks)
mlhewittAThotmailDOTcom
Would really appreciate it ...thanks
Aharon
Aharon
bnwitt

Post by bnwitt »

I sent the layout to nickt and asked him to send it to everyone else asking for it. Did any of you get it from him?
Great things happen in a vacuum
nickt

Be nice!

Post by nickt »

bnwitt wrote:I sent the layout to nickt and asked him to send it to everyone else asking for it. Did any of you get it from him?
Now be nice" - he's the first to request since I received it and I only just saw the message! :D :D
nickt

Post by nickt »

Aharon wrote:Maybe somebody can email it to me too......(thanks)
mlhewittAThotmailDOTcom
Aharon
Sent as a PM...
nickt

Cheapskate DYI

Post by nickt »

Looks to me like you could save a lot of cash by removing features from the Airbrake and hardwiring what you need.

For me that's easy:
a. no attenuator or
b. pretty quiet

The brake itself reduces to three resistors and one cap
a. 25R 100W across signal to ground
b. 25R 100W in series with the signal
c. 0-150R 50W in parallel with an 0.1uF 400V cap

So...

** beware ASCII art follows ** :shock:

IN ------|25R(b)|--------|0-150R(c)|-------- OUT
|
|
25R(a)
|
|
GND-------------------------------------------- GND

If you don't want to run a Marshall 100W into it you could probably get away with paralleling 4x100R 10W's to get the 25R's and do the same with whatever value you choose for the last resistor.

Anyway as a registered cheapskate :twisted: I'm going to try this out and report back. :D
Aharon

Post by Aharon »

nickt wrote:
Aharon wrote:Maybe somebody can email it to me too......(thanks)
mlhewittAThotmailDOTcom
Aharon
Sent as a PM...
Thank you nickt!
Aharon
Aharon
Aharon

Re: Cheapskate DYI

Post by Aharon »

nickt wrote:Looks to me like you could save a lot of cash by removing features from the Airbrake and hardwiring what you need.

For me that's easy:
a. no attenuator or
b. pretty quiet

The brake itself reduces to three resistors and one cap
a. 25R 100W across signal to ground
b. 25R 100W in series with the signal
c. 0-150R 50W in parallel with an 0.1uF 400V cap

So...

** beware ASCII art follows ** :shock:

IN ------|25R(b)|--------|0-150R(c)|-------- OUT
|
|
25R(a)
|
|
GND-------------------------------------------- GND

If you don't want to run a Marshall 100W into it you could probably get away with paralleling 4x100R 10W's to get the 25R's and do the same with whatever value you choose for the last resistor.

Anyway as a registered cheapskate :twisted: I'm going to try this out and report back. :D

Couldn't you do the same for the variable ?........put resistrors in series and tap at each connection?........for example three 5 ohms in series and a 10 ohm to complete the 25R?

Aharon
Aharon
nickt

Re: Cheapskate DYI

Post by nickt »

Aharon wrote: Couldn't you do the same for the variable ?........put resistrors in series and tap at each connection?........for example three 5 ohms in series and a 10 ohm to complete the 25R?

Aharon
Yes of course - my view is that I only need two settings - no attenuation or quiet. This way the circuit is very simple and for a smallish amp (an AC30 and a deluxe clone in my case 8) ) the power handling can be much lower.

Maybe it will work maybe not - only one way to find out :shock: :wink: :D
bnwitt

Re: Be nice!

Post by bnwitt »

nickt wrote:Now be nice" - he's the first to request since I received it and I only just saw the message! :D :D
Wow, thin skinned. I am being nice, I did the layout and gave it away :lol:
thanks for passing it on Nick. I'm working 7 days a week at my day job until November and just don't have the time to send files very often. That's why I passed the baton to you.
nickt

Post by nickt »

I'd suggest the simple solution is for those who get the layout to pass it on to others who request with an acknowledge message in this thread - cruel but fair? :D

Having said that I'm happy to pass it on to who ever's not seen it but if I don't respond quickly it's because I haven't seen the request because, strangely, I also have a busy life.

BTW "Be nice"? - think Austin Powers - just a joke. :shock:
bnwitt

Post by bnwitt »

Nick, I did appreciate your sense of humor. Anyone who's avatar is a dog with music coming out of his butt definitely has one. I'm getting a little punchy doing the 7 @ 12 hour days. I think each guy who asks for the layout and gets it should watch the thread for the next requester. So, when you get it, your obligation is to pass it on once to the next guy. Then it's his turn. When you receive it, say thanks in a post and I've got the next one. That ought to work.
Munga

Post by Munga »

I try to send out the layout sometimes when I can. I think people should edit their posts once they receive it, to avoid confusion.
The Tone Knob
Dedicated to tone.
bnwitt

Post by bnwitt »

Munga wrote:I try to send out the layout sometimes when I can. I think people should edit their posts once they receive it, to avoid confusion.
that would be helpful too
nickt

Post by nickt »

bnwitt wrote:Nick, I did appreciate your sense of humor. Anyone who's avatar is a dog with music coming out of his butt definitely has one. I'm getting a little punchy doing the 7 @ 12 hour days.
Heh heh no problems - I know the feeling - BTW I really like your Avatar. Mine's pinched :oops: I'm waiting for a takedown order as it's almost a trademark :shock: :twisted:

Back to business. I bought the bits for my Cheapskate's Airbrake and am half way through putting it together.

Found an interesting KF article about the Airbrake on blueguitar.org. Here it is if anyone's interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Munga

Post by Munga »

Thanks for that article. Its an interesting read.
The Tone Knob
Dedicated to tone.