Q regarding the Normster Rocket?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

rooster

Q regarding the Normster Rocket?

Post by rooster »

First off, I have not added reverb to the Rocket circuit as of yet. But I'm thinking about it on a new build. I remember Normster had a circuit that some folks here built. Likewise, RJ is making something similar, I think.

OK, when adding the reverb to the Rocket circuit, I remember there is only one added tube...correct? Is this a 12AT7 for the send, aka Fender? Also what tank/pan is being used? Is it the typical Fender version? Is the reverb tranny the typical Fender type version? Is 1/2 of V2 being used for the return?

Lastly, what brand tanks are most of you using? I have heard the MOD tank is the best one being made today as far as 'vintage' verb goes. Does the majority agree? Thanks in advance for any insight on the subject.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
10thTx

Re: Q regarding the Normster Rocket?

Post by 10thTx »

Lots of info about "one tube reverb" here:

http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=7957.0

This is how I would approach adding reverb. However, I have not done this specifically with a "Wreck".

With respect, Tubenit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

rooster wrote:First off, I have not added reverb to the Rocket circuit as of yet. But I'm thinking about it on a new build. I remember Normster had a circuit that some folks here built. Likewise, RJ is making something similar, I think.

OK, when adding the reverb to the Rocket circuit, I remember there is only one added tube...correct? Is this a 12AT7 for the send, aka Fender? Also what tank/pan is being used? Is it the typical Fender version? Is the reverb tranny the typical Fender type version? Is 1/2 of V2 being used for the return?

Lastly, what brand tanks are most of you using? I have heard the MOD tank is the best one being made today as far as 'vintage' verb goes. Does the majority agree? Thanks in advance for any insight on the subject.
For the reverb you are using the unused triode of V2 and the additional 12AX7 tube. Normster used the atypical bottom of the PI for reverb.

For subtle reverb I used MOD short tank Mesa Boogie style 8AB2A1B and reverb driver Hammond 1750A.
rooster

Post by rooster »

Wow, a cornucopia of info here, guys. Thanks, and especially to 10thTx for the link. Geez, that's a post for reverb enthusiasts and I never saw it before.

Reading over tubenit's comments on that other forum, BTW, I was struck by his thoughts and comparisons (or lack of) in his builds to the typical Fender combo reverb. I can relate, yes, but here recently I have decided that - if you're going to use a verb - it has to be capable of surf even of you don't play surf. Don't know if that makes any sense to you but it's making sense to me these days. I've had a small flood of vintage SRs come through lately with original 2 spring tanks and the verb just killed me.

With all this info I will figure something out, and thank you all for your help!
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

If you want surf reverb then you will need to go with longer decay short pan unless your building a combo then you can just get the long pan. Same fender driver.

I bought about three different pans on some builds to see which one I like best they are cheap compared to other components.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

M Fowler wrote:If you want surf reverb then you will need to go with longer decay short pan unless your building a combo then you can just get the long pan. Same fender driver.

I bought about three different pans on some builds to see which one I like best they are cheap compared to other components.
I see you have a "Dwell" control on the 2xEL84 amp. How effective is that? Might it make short vs long pan selection less critical?

What do you think of implementing a tone control or snubber to reduce highs in the reverb circuit (ala natural reverb)?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Not my two EL84 circuit but I think it's a good thing to have the dewell control.

Also, your wanting the tone control is good I have that on an amp with Allen Amps type circuit I built. I can brighten the reverb.
angelodp

reverb tone

Post by angelodp »

Mark, nice idea, can you post a schematic on the tone control for reverb.

Cheers Ange
d95err

Post by d95err »

The dwell control seems to be drawn wrong. As drawn, it will load down the dry signal.
Schmirleroo

Post by Schmirleroo »

Wanted to bump this post.
I have a custom princeton chassis and face plate and was thinking of building a 2 octal trainwreck design with reverb.
Will go in a 1/12 combo.
Has there been much success with such?
RJ