Ingrid's Headshell

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RockinRocket

Ingrid's Headshell

Post by RockinRocket »

Anyone notice Ingrid's head shell has two "picture frame" fronts, on the front and the back. Out of all KF head shells Ive seen Ingrid is the only one like that. Has anyone else seen a Trainwreck like Ingrid's?
Cantplay

Re: Ingrid's Headshell

Post by Cantplay »

Very few if any original cabs were made from a single piece of wood.

The 1/4" groove I see around the inside back of many cabinets makes it look like they custom sized drawers, with the bottom panel removed.

John
Do not limit yourself to what others think is reasonable or possible.

www.johnchristou.com
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

I think were talking about two different things. Im talking about the 1 -2 inch wide lip that wraps around the front of the headshell. Ingrid is the only headshell that has this on the front as well as the back that ive ever seen. Not sure if this was a later design of Wrecks or what?
NickC

Post by NickC »

I don't know the answer, but I see what you mean in the IMG_2157 picture at this link:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/myles111u ... 689982547/
Bruciep07

Post by Bruciep07 »

This is the first cabinet that I noticed with a face frame on the front and back.
dano-rator

Post by dano-rator »

Interesting... After looking at the pics, thanks NickC, my guess is that the shell is veneered sheet goods and the edges are capped with solid wood to accommodate the profile. It would take better picture for me to know for sure.

Dan
Oo De Lally
Bruciep07

Post by Bruciep07 »

Doesn't look to be sheet goods, check pics here...

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19

My guess is the cab wasn't deal enough, I imagine these cabinets were made much in the same way that ken built amps, whatever material was on hand.
dano-rator

Post by dano-rator »

That's better! I would agree that its not likely veneer, but rather solid wood. The view from the bottom with all the lighter sap wood clearly shows that the larger middle section of the cabinet is a not a mitre joint, while the thinner strips you've noticed are. This suggests to me they were applied after it was glued up.

It there's a top view in that roll I missed it, my phone didn't load a few of those pictures. But it kinda looks like the top is mitred fully from front to back.

Now I'm curious too.

Dan
Oo De Lally
Cantplay

Post by Cantplay »

I don't think its veneer, but its put together with zero regard to matching up the wood.

The mechanical ethic thst this implies bothers me.

John
Do not limit yourself to what others think is reasonable or possible.

www.johnchristou.com
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

Cantplay wrote:I don't think its veneer, but its put together with zero regard to matching up the wood.

The mechanical ethic thst this implies bothers me.

John
I actually really like that about Ken's head shell. Gives it character
rooster

Post by rooster »

Yeah, easy enough to understand how the case was constructed. The top was cut with 45degree edges, the sides were cut with one 45 degree edge and the other end cut square, the bottom was cut with two square ends. Once this was assembled, the two picture frames were cut and applied front and back, all in the attempt to hide the bottom butt joints.

As far as strength goes, the top joints are the weakest as there were no biscuits used. But then this was reinforced in the front with the large faceplate panel - which helped a little bit. Not the strongest head case ever designed.

2Tone said that his Rocket arrived with a broken case, and then when Ken sent the replacement, it was also broken. At this point, 2Tone elected to fix the second case himself and move on. (I think I heard this correctly.)
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

rooster wrote:
2Tone said that his Rocket arrived with a broken case, and then when Ken sent the replacement, it was also broken. At this point, 2Tone elected to fix the second case himself and move on. (I think I heard this correctly.)
Oh no kidding I didn't know anyone actually seen the real method to the joints. I thought it could have been doweled, or some other single cut grove or something. Are you saying all the joints are glued butt joints?

My original post was commenting on how Indrid is the only head shell Ive noticed with double picture frame. The other amps Ive seen never hid the rear butt joints. Other than a few other woods used Ginger and Francesca are really the only other odd ball head shells I can think of.

Thanks for sharing 2Tones story!
rooster

Post by rooster »

Ha, the 2tone post is here somewhere, years ago. He seems to hate it when I speak for him, so maybe he will jump in......

In the absence of this, I think I did present the story correctly - no biscuits or dowels or anything. FWIW, I have been employed as a cabinet maker and furniture maker in years past so I was very interested in this, and very surprised. But I guess this explains the lack of a top handle, eh? :wink:
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
RockinRocket

Post by RockinRocket »

rooster wrote: But I guess this explains the lack of a top handle, eh? :wink:
Wrecks look weird with a handle. Im sure you have seen Cherry Lynn at Ultra Sound. It must have sounded amazing because that would have been the last one Id consider and it sold.