Confused

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lgcbuilder

Confused

Post by lgcbuilder »

Hello, I personally hate these type newbie posts, but I have to do this. I really don't want to waste 600-$1000 and not get what's needed.

I've spent many hours perusing these forums. I want to build an amplifier for my son. His peavey blew out, and he's tried out several tube amplifiers and decided that's what he wants. I'm capable of building it and the cabinet, but what to build? I'm looking at the ceriatone kits, specifically the trainwreck.

Here's a link to his band's myspace page. Listen to the song "Independence Day" for an idea of the tone and type of music.

http://www.myspace.com/aviatorks

BTW, this is a great board. Reminds me of one I moderate on pro sound, very polite, very helpful.

Thanks
Beerman

Re: Confused

Post by Beerman »

Had a listen to your son's stuff, it's great. Reminds me a little of myself ten years ago...

The Express sounds fantastic, but doesn't seem to take pedals very well. I plan on building one soon, but maybe a 36 watt, or a Plexi or an SLO clone would suit your son's style a little better.

Just a thought.

Although the Express is right at the top of town... endlessly cool etc...

Post by lgcbuilder »

Thanks for the compliment. The reason I ask is most of the clips I've heard on the forums would be perfect for me, blues and jazz. And I had not read much discussion of usage with pedals, as it appears they don't need it for less agressive styles. I know he wants that clean od sound for lead, but pretty nasty growls otherwise.
Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Others may choose to disagree with me, but I think a Soldano SLO clone, or a Marshall Plexi is probably the best option.

Ceriatone doesn't offer an SLO kit, although they could probably put one together for you if you asked.... Nik is great like that. I don't know what the URL is, but there is also a forum that is dedicated to cloning Soldano amps, might be worth a look.

Best of luck with it, and hope it's a bit of fun.

Post by Rick »

I've built several 18 and 36 watt TMBs. The locals who've heard them say they sound great. For overall versatility, the plexi/TMBs are hard to beat. I have not had much luck getting the Express to play what I'd really call clean, not saying it can't be done, just hard to do. This is as close as I've come, and it's not very close.

http://www.laserampchassis.com/twexpresssample51.mp3
Beerman

Post by Beerman »

That SLO Forum can be found here: http://sloclone.yesterdaysrevolt.com/index.php

But I'd probably go with a Plexi myself.

Post by Fischerman »

I would definitely not build an Express for that type of tone/music. The SLO is a good suggestion. I didn't see a 2203 (JCM800 Master Volume Marshall) suggested and that would also be a good choice. Or a Plexi/SuperLead but IMO a Plexi/SuperLead will need a pedal boosting it to get that heavy...but with the right combination it can sound awesome. You would probably even need a pedal to slightly push the JCM800 for the heaviest stuff but again...the right combination just kills.

Also, just my opinion but IMO if you're going to go to the trouble of building something like this...just go all the way and build a 100 watter...not a 50 watter. Might just be my limited experience but 100 watters always seem to sound a little bit better.
lgcbuilder

Post by lgcbuilder »

I greatly appreciate the replies. I personally love the sounds I've heard from the express. Might have to build one for me to replace my blues jr.

You have all saved me. I was on the verge of ordering when I posted.

Also, just my opinion but IMO if you're going to go to the trouble of building something like this...just go all the way and build a 100 watter...not a 50 watter. Might just be my limited experience but 100 watters always seem to sound a little bit better.
I know the difference between the two is only 3db in output. Extra headroom is necessary in a PA, but I would think less so here. Do you feel the extra power allows more control of the sound, other than the additional output?
Fischerman

Post by Fischerman »

I just think they sound better, thicker, fuller. It has nothing to do with how loud they are...even when turned down the 100 watters seem to sound better. Based on what most younger players like (those playing heavy music that is), I'm pretty sure he would like the extra 'girth' that a 100 watter has.

You'll get lots of different opinions on this though...some will say that the guitar doesn't need that much low end and in many cases I would agree. But you're building this for someone else so making them happy with their tone is all that matters. Good luck.