Weber Trainwreck kit

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Thiago.zanato

Weber Trainwreck kit

Post by Thiago.zanato »

Has anyone tried one of these? They cal it Java, the schematic is pretty accurate to a trainwreck, but the layout is different, pretty interesting too, I personally found it more organized. It might be a good deal.. check it out.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/java_schem.jpg
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/java_layout.jpg

I think I'll try to change my 18 watter TMB to a Trainwreck, by replacing the turret board completely.

Thanks, but I wanted to know if anyone here build a "Java".
doctord02

Re: Weber Trainwreck kit

Post by doctord02 »

well, the voltages are way too high and the first stage feeding a cathode follower is definitely not a Trainwreck trait... Maybe more Komet like... Part of the TW magic is the layout and schematic as is, with the unused triode and low voltages. I think this will sound more like a Marshall. Maybe good, maybe not...
Thiago.zanato

Post by Thiago.zanato »

But if I remove the cathode follower fed triode , the rest of the schematic is pretty much the same, isn't it?
UR12

Post by UR12 »

The front end is diffrent, the tone stack values are different, the PI values are different, the voltages are higher and the only thing common to the trainwreck is the 3rd gain stage. In addition to that I wouldn't buy anything from weber if he were the last place on earth.
malt

Post by malt »

UR12 wrote: In addition to that I wouldn't buy anything from weber if he were the last place on earth.
+1
I'll tell you all my secrets, but I lie about my past.
Thiago.zanato

Post by Thiago.zanato »

I'm not a big fan of his stuff either, I think the chasses and cabinets are a good deal, but as far as components/kits go, well, you know. Can you please be more specific about the schematic you're comparing the weber stuff to? I'm new to the forum and there are just too many schematics around.

thanks
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Thiago.zanato wrote:I'm not a big fan of his stuff either, I think the chasses and cabinets are a good deal, but as far as components/kits go, well, you know. Can you please be more specific about the schematic you're comparing the weber stuff to? I'm new to the forum and there are just too many schematics around.

thanks
I am comparing the schematic that you posted with the TW Express schematic that is posted here

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1408

I am comparing it to the Express because the schematic you posted has EL34 outputs. If your're looking for a great Trainwreck kit, I would get one from Cierratone because the price will be as low as weber's, it will have better quality parts and you will get the real deal that has been tested and compared to an original and comes very close.
Thiago.zanato

Post by Thiago.zanato »

I was actually planning on buying all the parts separately, but I found pretty interesting the way Weber laid out his turret board. I didn't mention this, but I want to build the Express on a 6m18 combo chassis, that's why I need an alternative board to the Ceriatone.

thanks for the link btw.
joe6v6

Post by joe6v6 »

Can you please be more specific about the schematic you're comparing the weber stuff to
The massive amount of power section filtering on the weber schematic - 400UF total is sure to have an effect on performance, the power trans used is 330-0-330 60 volts higer than called for, the output trans is 3400 & 6800 ohms too low & too high. both halves of v2 are used - this is sure to increase gain. Tone stack is diffrent & of course the master volume. To me this amp has little similarity to an express. Throw in the BBQ factor & its undeseriable to say the least.
JOE
Resistors not Transistors !
kcguitar

Post by kcguitar »

Long time reader, first time poster here...anyways I've had some pretty good success with Weber's DC30 kit and Deluxe Reverb kit, as well as the Dumble "clone" but I was thinking about building an Express or Liverpool into a Mod Rod. https://taweber.powweb.com/store/kits_weber.htm#ModRod for those who aren't familiar. I'd probably follow the ceriatone circuit but just use the Weber trannies. Or are they that completely off spec that I should just go for a ceratone kit entirely? I could also probably ask Ted if he could sell me everything minus the trannies possibly. $315 just seems like a really good deal for a bulk of components needed for tube amps. Atleast for a poor old college student like me. :cry: Kevin.
bigtone96

Post by bigtone96 »

I have built the Java kit from Weber. I'm very happy with it. I got rid of the cathode follower. Does it sound like a trainwreck? I've never played one. But I think it sounds great. It's crystal clear, has tons of harmonics, and you can control it all with volume on the guitar, and your technique. Ted doesnt try to say that this is an Express kit. Ted's kits arent meant to be direct copies of other amps. They are just a starting point. Build it the way you like! I'm not sure why some people are down on him. Sure, some of the components might not be the best, but overall the prices for his kits are very realistic. I payed only a little over $400 fot the Java head kit, with a nice marshall type head box. Where can you beat that? Also, you can delete any parts when you order, like I ordered mine minus tubes. You can use you own transformers, etc.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

I guess it all boils down to, do you want a amp that looks and sounds like an Express or one that you put together with your own or a different layout, different parts etc and hope it sounds like an Express when you are done. Nic's kit that includes everything but the tubes is about $588 including shipping. Without trannies your looking at $401 including shipping. You can get a set of Moose's trannies for about $170 including shipping. Nic's kit includes a preassembled board Weber's doesn't. Nic uses quality parts and you'll have to judge Weber's for yourself. I build all my amps by sourceing my own parts. I have used Nic's chassis for a few TW amps you will be hard pressed to find an better one. Nic's customer service is second to none and Weber's............let's just say that I know people who have had to wait up to 6 months to get a problem resolved.

I don't have anything to do with either of these two companies other than to be a customer of Nic's. Like I stated in my last post, I don't like Weber's business practices and will never buy from him. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your projects.
Rick

Post by Rick »

There is some kind of long lasting feud or hatred or something between some of the amp builder forum members of a few different forums against Ted. I don't even really remember what it is about any more. I thought (or hoped) that that had faded away, but it has seemed to seep into at least a few amp builder forums. I don't see it as anything helpful, Ted has a lot of good deals and has never done anything to harm me or anyone I know, so I don't really get it either. He is the first to state that his kits and plans are variations and he does not like them even being called "clones" Just FWIW, which is probably not much...Hatred is a hard thing to cure...
Beerman

Post by Beerman »

UR12 wrote:I guess it all boils down to, ... I don't like Weber's business practices and will never buy from him.
So Rick...

I don't get "hatred", just dislike, or maybe an "unwillingness to have anything to to do with" the guy and his business.... this is an old thing and probably best left alone anyhow.

Post by pureoldsound »

To me it does not look much as an express it looks more like a Rocket type. If you look how they arranged the first stage and compare it to the second stage on the Rocket you are going to see some resemblance. Second stage on the Weber, where he has that 56K cathode resistor going to a 100K pot and a 500Pf cap. On the Rocket is the same but instead of being 56K is a 68K cathode resistor into a 50pf cap....If it looks like a Trainwreck it will be a Rocket. Some filter cap values are different as well . Grid stopper in the input of first stage is the same value as the Komet, maybe a mix of some Komet with a Rocket....
Last edited by pureoldsound on Mon May 07, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.