Whats your favorite type of pot

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stretch2011

Whats your favorite type of pot

Post by stretch2011 »

...entiometer! Get your heads straight haha

Just curious of your preferred potentiometers especially for train wrecks. I generally use CTS. PEC's seem pricy for made in mexico. I'm parting my first express and want your opinions.
Mark

Re: Whats your favorite type of pot

Post by Mark »

I'm not that big on brands so much as useful tapers.

I'm all for a 10% taper as a volume control.

Getting back to brand, pot life is important, I also like the pot to feel solid.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Northern California Sensa......Oh you meant potentiometers :)
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
xtian

Post by xtian »

...what were we talking about? Let's get a SNACK, man!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sorry Stretch, I'm the only one taking you seriously, mind you I like the weed reference, wish I'd thought of that.

Years ago I had issues with Alpha pots and swore never to use them again, but it would appear they have improved. Come up with a list of what appeals to you, such as do you solder on the back on the pot etc?

Base you purchases on those criteria.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

Xtian.... I think it was Oreos maaaannnn

Mark: it's cool I was looking forward to the funnies and the knowledge. Soldering to the back is nice but I have a a 16"x33" brass plate so it doesn't matter. I was more looking at price and quality. Is it really worth spending $10 on a pot or will a $3.50 work just as well?
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Unless someone requests otherwise, I typically use Alphas. Not my favorite taper, but the price is right, and I can get them at the same place I get my other supplies, for the most part. They do feel a little cheap to me. I really like PEC, but availability and price are a big issue. I've only used a couple of them, but they look and feel sturdy. CTS I only have experience with in guitars, but they are also nice. I'm sure someone will be along soon enough with some better answers, but consider this a nice placeholder until they arrive. :lol:
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

johnnyreece wrote:Unless someone requests otherwise, I typically use Alphas. Not my favorite taper, but the price is right, and I can get them at the same place I get my other supplies, for the most part. They do feel a little cheap to me. I really like PEC, but availability and price are a big issue. I've only used a couple of them, but they look and feel sturdy. CTS I only have experience with in guitars, but they are also nice. I'm sure someone will be along soon enough with some better answers, but consider this a nice placeholder until they arrive. :lol:
Alphas are a must for me. I used to use PEC pots, but quite literally every single one I ever used became dirty over time (Which is funny for sealed pot) and I will never use them again. Their quality is great, except for that issue, which for me, would mean opening every single one I get brand new and doing a cleaning. I'm not sure if that will be a permanent fix. It's not easy cleaning a sealed pot that's installed in an amp. I love alphas and CTS are great too. Nice because of their size as well. I also really like the torque of the Alphas.
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

Thanks everybody! Keep the info coming
dobbhill

Post by dobbhill »

I use whatever Steve @ ApexJr has that will work as my first choice.

D
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.......
johnnyreece

Post by johnnyreece »

Blackburn wrote:Alphas are a must for me. I used to use PEC pots, but quite literally every single one I ever used became dirty over time (Which is funny for sealed pot) and I will never use them again. Their quality is great, except for that issue, which for me, would mean opening every single one I get brand new and doing a cleaning. I'm not sure if that will be a permanent fix. It's not easy cleaning a sealed pot that's installed in an amp. I love alphas and CTS are great too. Nice because of their size as well. I also really like the torque of the Alphas.
Good to know about the PEC! The only ones I still have are in use as bias adjustment pots, so they don't see much use. I suppose I'll keep on with Alphas until they give me reason to do otherwise!
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

So alpha's seem to be most everyone's choice so far. Now how about wattage ratings? does it really matter in a trainwreck? Alpha's are rated at 1/2 watt @ 500vdc linear yet the BOM in the express file says 2w. Inputs please :)
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

Anyone Try any alessandro pots? $35.00+ seems ridiculous!?
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

stretch2011 wrote:Anyone Try any alessandro pots? $35.00+ seems ridiculous!?
They are custom made PEC pots. Not ridiculous when you consider the custom run (but that said, still too rich for my blood and utility). They also come from Canada, not China.