Rocket amp finishing up.

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Richie

Rocket amp finishing up.

Post by Richie »

This one is a little bit different, I changed the layout a bit so I could use the CEdist perf board. Came out pretty good. Using different caps wire etc.. with this build. The circuit is still very much rocket type with a couple tweaks, but that's about it. Using Heyboer transformers. Waiting on a cab that should be here next week. I'll add those pics when its in the cab. Cab is going to be a dark green crock/gator type tolex. The amp has a dark wood faceplate,and cream knobs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RJ Guitars

Re: Rocket amp finishing up.

Post by RJ Guitars »

Hey Richie, Really nice Rocket build! I recognize that chassis... Great implementation of current production parts with the modern perf and filter caps. That has to be really good for the budget... maybe something KF would have done himself. I think it also gives us some encouragement that you could use similar parts in an Express or LP. I don't know if you still have that last Rocket you put together but I'd be curious what the difference in sound is between them.

I have a handful of questions: Are your coupling caps polyester, did you use the CE Dist turrets, and tell us about the output transformer?

When I used the bigger turrets in the "Eagle 100" (~$100 Champ) I recall it took more heat to solder to them. Everybody adjusted quickly but it did make the use of the traditional PVC wire a little more tricky?

I see a few subtle things you've done that aren't really obvious at the first glance... some heat shrink on the floating resistors for one thing. Great attention to detail!

Great job, thanks for the good photos and looking forward to final photos and maybe a sound clip too.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Richie

Post by Richie »

"Most" of the parts are NOS, the caps are polyester caps CDE and Mallory,and NOS mica. And a Rubycon bypass on the EL84 cathodes:)
I'll try to explain my reasons or why I do things the way they are. But i'll try to answer the questions. I wanted to build a Rocket that is still high quality but not as much a cosmetic clone. This chassis will have a Tolex cab. As for the parts. The Output transformer is a Robert Hinson heyboer output,a bit different than what others might use. And uses a Heyboer PT. Just some things I had I wanted to use.

As for the board, I got some of these in different sizes and colors when CE came out with them. I bought the turrerts that they sell for these boards. This board is the smaller spaced size. I changed the layout just a slight bit so I could make the board fit more like it should.The turrets I used seem to solder great,no problems. BUT I didn't have to worry about melting the old style fender cloth wire. I love using it, no stipping,no melting and stays where you put it!

I moved the input resistor off the board to the tube pin where it should be..:) and I made a straight shot into the PI, resistor can cap inline,so it takes less space on the board. And I add a 1uf cap on the bypass cathode of V1.

As for other things mostly just because..... I wired the standby with the connections flip flopped. I use the heat shrink on the dropping stage resistor so no way of it touching something it isn't suppose to. And on the other places it just keeps any touching between tube pins. Plus if you tap on a chassis that has unused tube pins,sometimes they rattle and that can be picked up or make a buzz noise. So, that's why I put small pieces on those to keep that from happening.

May times parts can vibrate and make buzzing noises,caps can be microphonic depending on what ones you use. I also think using them on the leads help keep the vibrations down or a cap from buzzing. I know it may sound like overkill ,but I have seen this in repairing many amps over the years, fenders marshalls and others. Many times you see they use silicone or hot glue etc.. There are still a couple things I am doing with this amp before it is finished.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yet another nice amp amp!
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Richie

Post by Richie »

Thanks Mark.

RJ I forgot to mention, yeah we can only wonder what Ken might use today in current made parts or his pick of NOS parts. There is a lot to choose from that is out there today.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Pictures of the Komet prototypes are probably the best example of what Ken might have used. I dare say Mallory 150 caps would have been used as they were on the Komet amps I saw.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
donzoid

Post by donzoid »

Looks good Richie. Is that a wima box cap on your treble control, or an old domino mica?
https://www.facebook.com/trialbyfirerocks

Be sure your tinfoil hat has a good low impedance ground.
Richie

Post by Richie »

its a mica,like a domino, but no color dots. Cab should be here tomorrow, can't wait to see it.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Here is the Crocket I had the EL84s out to set the chassis in the cab.
The cab is really nice,and i'm going to plug sourmash cabinets. they build really good cabs and at good prices. So if anyone needs a tolexed wreck head cab,you ought to give them a look. I don't think he lists them on the site, so you may have to email and ask. I'll have the 2 Rockets in the for sale section in the next few days. The is a dark green, the camera flash makes it look a little brighter, it looks almost black in natural light. And the knobs are cream.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Richie on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Very cool, Richie! Amp looks great.

How do you like those domino caps? I've got a small pile of them but haven't used any.

Cheers,

Greg
Richie

Post by Richie »

I like the ones I have, I think they are CDE.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

OK, you have inspired me to give some of mine a try, if I have what values I need.
Richie

Post by Richie »

I always measure the pf caps I use,no matter what they are.
gktamps

Post by gktamps »

Same here, especially with old stuff. Markings become much less relevant, although I have some PIO caps that are spot on after 30-40 years!
angelodp

nice

Post by angelodp »

Damn that is one beautiful amp. Love that green alligator skin.

Ange