Songwriter Group Build -- Not Gonna Happen

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

martin manning

Re: Songwriter Group Build -- Not Gonna Happen

Post by martin manning »

My guess is two builds of the same amp. Same layout, tubes, and transformers, but the FH screw near the IEC inlet is above it on one, and below it on the other, and the screw near the speaker outs is missing on one. The one by the speaker jacks could be covered by the Dymo tape, but who would do that? Those are ground lug locations, I think.
Bob Simpson

Post by Bob Simpson »

I will share any info I have with anyone who asks.

Fuck you, Hogy.

Bob Simpson
Please understand that IMO an answer to this question is of no practical relevance at all. - Max
ampman1961

Post by ampman1961 »

Bob Simpson wrote:I will share any info I have with anyone who asks.

Fuck you, Hogy.

Bob Simpson
Amen.
May he take his special brand of sleaze and go away for good.
A Shell "No Pest Strip" comes to mind.
"Life is too short for Solid State"
www.redjonesamplification.com
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

All this "he said-she said" recollection back and forth is unnecessary...can anybody name any "real" contributions Hogy has made to this forum?

I can think of none. :evil:

What has he taken, stolen, gleaned etc. from this place? Who knows!

He only comes around to strong arm people here and to threaten...that crap doesn't fly here. I feel a build comin' on....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Maybe we can fix his design like we did the Concorde and then he can steal it and offer an upgrade to his customers for $2000-3000. See Hogy...I guess we do care about your business! :wink:
Hogy

Post by Hogy »

Allynmey wrote:
Maybe we can fix his design like we did the Concorde

I didn't design the Concorde. A guy named Ken Fischer did.

Happy to know you fixed it for him. Keep up the good work!

Allynmey wrote:All this "he said-she said" recollection back and forth is unnecessary...
No doubt it is. Especially when it proves your fantasy land delusions to be just that.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Thanks for that post Hogy. It shows that you take other peoples stuff and make a living on it with very little innovation of your own. I was referring to the fast/gradual external switch that makes the amp usable to gigging musicians.

I guess you think it's ok to have close to 300 volts on a 28v rated switch. But don't worry...before any performer can play a solo live, they'll just shut the amp off reach behind a hot amp, switch the switch (all the while pray they are not electrocuted), and then reverse the process after their solo is over...that sounds logical to me! :roll: :roll:

I guess the ability to silently switch from fast to gradual live without any pop is a senseless addition.

I'm sure you thought about that while selling them for $5000....right????

Incase you need some help now that your designer is no longer alive, you can steal the design free of charge!!! Just ask Mark and Dana if they mind.

I already give you permission because that's the kind of guy I am!

after that is done...call Dave Friedman and ask if you can use his and my other innovation to take the low end roll out of the amp. Again...your a sweetheart so I will give you permission. I'm not sure how Dave feels...ask him!!!!!

Here's a link... http://ampgarage.com/forum/download/file.php?id=2933

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
Hogy

Post by Hogy »

Allynmey wrote:I was referring to the fast/gradual external switch that makes the amp usable to gigging musicians.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering who you were talking to for a moment.

Again, the guy you want to discuss this with was named Ken Fischer. In the La-La-Land you inhabit, I'm sure you'll be able to talk to him in person. Finally.

He no doubt could use your help with regards to circuit design.

For what it's worth, I did discuss the "Friedman Mod" with Dave years ago. It's a good idea for some players. Like everything else, it gives something and it takes something away.

Dave Friedman is a good guy, and what sets him apart from you is that he actually has a clue about amplifier design.

What else can I help you with?

Edit: Komet has been offering the "Friedman Mod", named and credited as such, for the cost of parts and labor since it's been around. We've installed a number of these mods and removed some of them again. Such is the nature of guitar tone and taste.
Last edited by Hogy on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Hogy wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering who you were talking to for a moment.

Again, the guy you want to discuss this with was named Ken Fischer. In the La-La-Land you inhabit, I'm sure you'll be able to talk to him in person. Finally.

He no doubt could use your help with regards to circuit design.

For what it's worth, I did discuss the "Friedman Mod" with Dave years ago. It's a good idea for some players. Like everything else, it gives some and it takes some. Dave Friedman is a good guy, and what sets him apart from you is that he has a clue about amplifier design.

What else can I help you with?
I'm sorry...who's name is on the amp??? Who is selling them??? Who is building them????

Your a clown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum has value added appeal. You are a clown and add nothing. Keep selling your $5000 shock hazard...oh yeah...you warned them about not switching with the power on...

What a clown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hogy

Post by Hogy »

Allynmey wrote: I'm sorry...

Your a clown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a clown ...

What a clown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simmer down, you're gonna blow a fuse.

Bob Simpson wrote:
Fuck you, Hogy.

Bob Simpson

And Happy New Year to you as well, "Bob Simpson".

Hogy
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Well this takes me back a few years LOL. I personally have built quite a few TW clones, mainly to see what all the fuss was about and what made them tick. I don't see a problem supplying parts like a punched chassis for a DIY person to build themselves an amp. Any amp they want. I have had a lot of fun over the years taking some of Ken's designs and making them into combos, higher or lower wattage amps, 2 channel Liverpool/Rocket style amps and making other changes that many would consider blasphemy. I've also built Fender, Marshall, Vox and other style amps. To be honest, I don't care if I ever build another TW clone. I've was building amps long before this forum or even the internet existed and will continue to do so as I enter my retirement years.

It's funny to me that it is ok for someone like Mojo music Supply to sell you a clone chassis for any Fender or Marshall amp that has ever been made and that's OK and ethical but not Ethical to sell parts to build one of Ken's amps.

The boutique amp business is flooded with clones of all kinds of amps from the past and those companies, with their twists, are marketing them under different names. Finding something unique and different today is not the norm even though you are lead to believe that they are special. IMHO, I think in the beginning, there was a lot of mystery, smoke and mirrors and completely unprovable BS that Ken came up with to keep people from trying to find out what made a TW tick and to protect his designs, statements like the color of the dye on wires made an amp sound different, no one can build a TW but Ken and a multitude of other comments that have been proven completely untrue over the years.

We are here to build and learn about amps. If you think you can start a business building amps today using clones as your base then good luck because unless you can come up with something unique and different I doubt you will succeed. The economy at the moment sucks for boutique amp sales. So build your amps, learn all you can and have fun because very very few will be able to become the next Ken, Jim, Tom or Leo. Much easier to have some other guru designer design you a killer amp so you can just build the same thing for the next 20 years and hope you can make a living.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Nice writeup Dana. :)

The average Joe Guitarist doesn't give a damn about tone in the first place, he would rather impress his buddies and anyone else that will listen to him with his recent Chinese made crapola products.

Visiting a guitar store is only done so he can see what his Musician Friend purchase will look like when it arrives whether that is a pedal, pedal board, pedal power supply, speaker cab, amp or guitar.

The only way my buddy can keep his guitar store going was to advertise on internet, sell and ship out.

My advise build for yourself, family and friends, as well as keep it simple stupid and forget about starting an Amp Building Company. :)

Mark
randalp3000

Post by randalp3000 »

Way to burst my bubble Mark. I was going to close my retail store front and start an amp company. :wink:

Happy new year and beware the cashless society....
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

It does sadden me that there isn't much of a call for boutique amplifiers these days. I was going to start up an amp repair/mod business but again there just isn't a call for it now. Most guitarists seem to buy these cheap Chinese made transistor amps that just get thrown away as soon as they break. No call for good tone at all.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

M Fowler wrote:Nice writeup Dana. :)

The average Joe Guitarist doesn't give a damn about tone in the first place, he would rather impress his buddies and anyone else that will listen to him with his recent Chinese made crapola products.

Visiting a guitar store is only done so he can see what his Musician Friend purchase will look like when it arrives whether that is a pedal, pedal board, pedal power supply, speaker cab, amp or guitar.

The only way my buddy can keep his guitar store going was to advertise on internet, sell and ship out.

My advise build for yourself, family and friends, as well as keep it simple stupid and forget about starting an Amp Building Company. :)

Mark
Demoralizing. But all true. :cry:
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

Not to flog this horse any further than it needs to be, but aren't you being just a touch hypocritical Hogy? You're bitching about clones being built of an amp that you didn't design, but sell as one of your products? Essentially, you are building clones too then are you not? The whole legally licensed clones means nothing legally, other than you have clearance to use the Trainwreck name, yet it's still a clone isn't it?

Also, on the topic of the whole Fender borrowed from RCA or Marshall borrowed from the Bassman to make the JTM45, etc. Yup, that all happened. RCA did publish circuits to be used with their tubes, so did most all other tube manufacturers. It was standard affair for the time. All that info has been public domain since then. So, how can one claim a circuit is owned by someone by piecing public domain sample circuits together to form an amp? Yeah, this might be all legalese to you, but it is reality. You can certainly try to dissuade folks from building a Songwriter 30 by getting all pissy on an internet forum, but good luck enforcing it. Unless someone is using the Komet or Trainwreck name, you have zero legal grounds for a lawsuit.

Now, let's get back to our regularly scheduled programming.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!