Songwriter Group Build -- Not Gonna Happen

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sliberty

Re: Songwriter Group Build -- Not Gonna Happen

Post by sliberty »

All of this is very interesting bull shit for a New Year. That gives you an idea of how my life is going :?

But the part that bothers me the most as that Hogy apparently said something to RJ that convinced him to alter his behavior. That is the sort of thing that will kill a forum like this one. Not knowing what was said, I cannot make any comments on why RJ decided to accommodate Hogy, but I am very concerned that this will happen again and again, forced by others as well. We should stand up to these sorts of pressures. After all, most amp builders own nothing other than the company name that they have trademarked.

If the pressures were significant, I can understand why RJ would avoid trouble. And even if the pressures were not that significant, RJ is a genuinely nice guy, and may have simply made a decision to back off. But I wish he wasn't put in that position in the first place. Giving in to this sort of crap is bad for TAG.
Last edited by sliberty on Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I don't think RJ "gave in" to anything, other than an impulse to be a gentleman.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Interesting discussion, as most of what has been done around guitar and tube amps in general, is all based on the old RCA manuals, Radio Designers Handbook, Jack Darr etc.etc. Ken Fisher surely did not "invent" anything, as far as I can see. He did, however, - as I understand it, fiddle with component values, load lines and stuff like that, in his quest for "voicing". As for copyrights, it only applies to a given "drawing", - anyone can redraw a schematic and Call it his own. Only topologies or full designs that has not previously been published can be patented, but it is of course depending on the patent surveyor to do a proper job. I may be wrong, but I have yet to see a circuit topology that is not already public domain. It is also a mostly well established fact, that all the early Fender, Marshall, Vox etc. stuff was mostly based on RCA work, and quite a lot of "stealing" from each other...... nothing's really new under the sun....

EDIT: OTOH - I have no problems with designers trying to protect "their" design, in terms of topology, Component values etc, but once it goes Public, you're done. One cannot patent using a .56 uF cap instead of a .47..... luckily :-)
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

xtian wrote:I don't think RJ "gave in" to anything, other than an impulse to be a gentleman.
Which is what I meant by:

>>RJ is a genuinely nice guy, and may have simply made a decision to back off.
Hogy

Post by Hogy »

sliberty wrote:
But the part that bothers me the most as that Hogy apparently said something to RJ that convinced him to alter his behavior. That is the sort of thing that will kill a forum like this one. Not knowing what was said, I cannot make any comments on why RJ decided to accommodate Hogy, but I am very concerned that this will happen again and again, forced by others as well. We should stand up to these sorts of pressures. After all, most amp builders own nothing other than the company name that they have trademarked.

If the pressures were significant, I can understand why RJ would avoid trouble. And even if the pressures were not that significant, RJ is a genuinely nice guy, and may have simply made a decision to back off. But I wish he wasn't put in that position in the first place. Giving in to this sort of crap is bad for TAG.

Hang on a second. I did not say anything to RJ, other than what you see in this thread. I have had no other contact, be it via PM, e-mail or phone.

You guys really do like to fantasize, don't you?
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Hogy wrote:
sliberty wrote:

Hang on a second. I did not say anything to RJ, other than what you see in this thread. I have had no other contact, be it via PM, e-mail or phone.

You guys really do like to fantasize, don't you?
Well a PM to RJ would have been the classy thing to do rather than in a thread. We won't assume that you have class again though so...no worries!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

rj has enough stress in his life and probably chose to continue the Songwriter project amp without TAG posts, I don't know for sure but that is my guess.

Not everyone needs to know what he is up to, besides he doesn't make a dime providing products for DIY builders.

To worry about some DIY guy selling a few chassis, providing a schematic and layout for other DIY guys to follow seems so silly to me. I still say no person that is a Komet Amp fan would buy a clone over the real deal.

He might buy a Komet Amp and then value that Komet Amp so much that he commissions a Clone to use on the road and keep the original Komet Amp in pristine condition at home. We see this being done all the time with other brands of amps.

Mark
Hogy

Post by Hogy »

HeeBGB wrote: We won't assume that you have class again though so...no worries!

But you're perfectly ready to assume that I threaten people behind the scenes?

A heartfelt "Bob Simpson" to you as well!
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Hogy wrote:

Let me quote "Bob Simpson"...
Well I never said that but whatever. It's not the first time you've lied. I am pondering whether to change your username to Hoaxy though
Hogy

Post by Hogy »

HeeBGB wrote:
Hogy wrote:

Let me quote "Bob Simpson"...
Well I never said that but whatever.
Sorry, my bad. I thought by "we" you meant the forum collective. And that's who I addressed my "you" to.

Didn't know you were employing the pluralis majestatis.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I am pondering whether to change your username to Hoaxy though
Now that's funny :lol:
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

You're confused Hoaxy. The "We" referred to some of us assuming you had class. It had nothing to do with those among us that believe you threaten people behind the scenes.
sliberty

Post by sliberty »

Hogy wrote:Hang on a second. I did not say anything to RJ, other than what you see in this thread. I have had no other contact, be it via PM, e-mail or phone.
OK, fine, so there was no personal direct contact. I got it.

But here is an excerpt from your first post in this thread:

>>Offering kits, chassis, schematics and the like is very much stealing from me. At least that's how I see it.

>>By the way, Komet pays royalties to Ken's family for every Songwriter built. Would you like the address for where to send your checks?

That was a little heavy handed for a public post in my opinion. Personally I think it would have been better to discuss it one on one instead of starting this public pissing match, which RJ very wisely is staying out of.

By the way, if "not cloning a current production model amp" was the mantra here, we'd have to close the doors. This forum existed while Ken was still alive, and even today, JM is currently building the main Trainwreck models. HAD is still doing his thing too (as are lots of companies that build Dumble-a-likes).

So what are we talking about here?

By the way, I said this originally, and I'll say it agin. The Songwriter isn't even that great sounding of an amp. Its truly ho hum. And I love clean amps, but I just wasn't inspired by the tones I've heard live and on YouTube. [And since Hogy didn't design the amp, he will not be insulted by these comments]

OK, I'm done now. :D
rhinson

Post by rhinson »

man after all these years what a sweet reprise! Hey 2015-----2006 called. it wants it's thread back :lol: rh
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

rhinson wrote:man after all these years what a sweet reprise! Hey 2015-----2006 called. it wants it's thread back :lol: rh
Hello Robert, it takes a thread like this to bring some of you guys back :lol:

Mark