trainwreck trauma?!?!?!?!??!

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Curranproducer

trainwreck trauma?!?!?!?!??!

Post by Curranproducer »

OK- I need some help in a very real and bad way. I am trying to install an FX loop in my express. I am pulling the fx loop from the soldano slo schematic and plastering it into my train wreck. it sounds like shit. I would love to know if there are any guys form this forum in the ohio, cleveland akron area or there abouts that I could meet up with to help me. I am mad with frustration and really need some hands on help. I can't get my voltages right I can t get rid of ground loops and I cant get simple tone stacks to work. I am rambling but I am flat out seeing red with things right now and I am sick and tired of feeling like and idiot. thanks for letting me rant and i am hopeful some one can find their way to help a frustrated mess out a little bit.
Curran

Owner of Custom Audio Mutation Recording Studio, Guitar/Amp/Pedal Repair, and Mod center in Akron Ohio
Devout Distortion Worshipper and fan of warm hugs
234-788-6141
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Re: trainwreck trauma?!?!?!?!??!

Post by HeeBGB »

Ok. You're not an idiot. Sometimes even the most experienced of us get our asses kicked. First thing I would suggest is to post some gut shots. Did it work properly and sound good without the loop?
Curranproducer

Post by Curranproducer »

yeah thing sounds incredible. I popped in a PPIMV and a cut control in there as well. my voltages are way fucked on the voltage divider coming off of the B+1 that I decided to use for the fx loop to get the voltage up to the slo schematic since I tried merlins loop and that ruined the tone AND the loop level was way to low. I know this is a user error on my end but I have been having more failures than victories with many amps over the last three or four months and I am hitting a brick wall with my face
Curran

Owner of Custom Audio Mutation Recording Studio, Guitar/Amp/Pedal Repair, and Mod center in Akron Ohio
234-788-6141
HeeBGB
Site Admin

Post by HeeBGB »

Ok. Did you install all the options at once? I find its best to get the amp running as stock and add one mod at a time. That way if it doesn't work you know where the issue is
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I am rusty on the slo. I remember it looping out after the next to last stage, after the 1st CF?

I am just guessing at it, but I always thought Steve Miller's SS loop (Metro) would be the trick for an Express. It's the easy way out too.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curranproducer

Post by Curranproducer »

the slo does go into another stage, and this could be my issue. but I dod the merlin loop a while ago and that made the amp sound really sick and un well. same as what is going on here right now. I did all the mods one at a time as per my usual mode of operation and everything else is working and sounding correct for me, I want to keep a tube fx loop in there.
Curran

234-788-6141
dartanion

Post by dartanion »

I personally think an express shouldn't have a loop. It was never intended for one.
Eardrums!!! We don't need no stinkin' eardrums!
Curranproducer

Post by Curranproducer »

I understand that the train wreck is a "pure" tone idea for an amp, and it is wonderful, I would like a loop in it how ever and I do not see a reason why that cannot happen and still sound like the amazing amplifier that it is.
Curran

234-788-6141
matt h

Post by matt h »

(deleted)
Last edited by matt h on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curranproducer

Post by Curranproducer »

thanks for that offer but I really need to make a tube fx loop work. I have a friend of mine that wants me to pop a tube loop in his amp for him so I tend to experiment on my amps before I wreck someone elses
Curran

234-788-6141
funkmeblue

Post by funkmeblue »

I am in akron. I think installing an fx loop in an express is a bad idea.
anything worth doing, is worth doing right
Decko

Your loop

Post by Decko »

matt h wrote:Well, should you choose to ditch the tube requirement, feel free to hit me up about the transparent loop I designed.
I'd like to see it? Would you mind posting?

Quick question: could you incorporate a dumbleator style loop before the PI on the express?
Curranproducer

Post by Curranproducer »

well funk me blue! HA Great name by the way, I know they are not supposed to have this in there BUT it is my tweaker head for doing mods and stuff for guys. canb you PM me and maybe we can get a meet together?! thanks for posting! woo hoo I will load some pix
Curran

234-788-6141
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I do not know if it would be useful to you, but there is a substantial amount of examples of various effects loops on the Hoffman forum in Archives:

http://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=10208.0

With respect, 10thtx