Great source for custom chasiss

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Omar

Great source for custom chasiss

Post by Omar »

So I finally have been able to get out from under the 500 lb. rock called fatherhood and get back to building amps. I wanted to redo my Twreck X-press as close to a faithful reproduction of an actual Trainwreck as possible. Since I needed a new chassis I emailed Nik over at Ceriatone and he was able to build this custom chassis with all the holes laser cut (including the IEC and mounting squares) for $88 USD shipped. I'm very impressed with his work and turn around. I would highly recommend him if you need a custom chassis and don't want the hassle of drilling and cutting out all the holes. He prefers a CAD drawing but I sent him my Corel Draw 11 drawings and he was able to convert them.

Omar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tone by misadventure
gnugear

Re: Great source for custom chasiss

Post by gnugear »

Nice ... is that aluminum?
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Nice Omar! :D

Nik does great work. I just got a 36 watter and a JTM45 Chassis from him and they are top notch! I may have to get a TWreck chassis from him now. Greg (HeeBGB) should be finishing his TWreck build this week and I'm sure he'll post pics. I'll follow right behind him (we laid out the chassis and boards together). Maybe I'll rip it apart and put it in Niks chassis :D

Allynmey
Omar

Post by Omar »

gnugear - Yes, it is aluminum. Nik also offers stainless steel chassis.

Allenmy - I'd like to see your layout. I'm having trouble trying to layout the power supply. Since I'm trying to be as close to a real Trainwreck as possible, I'm going off the grainy pictures of the real TW in the Files section. The filter caps appear to sit on the bottom of the chassis and are not mounted to any board or terminal strip.

A couple of questions:

- What is the rubber stuff used to hold parts together and to keep them from vibrating? It looks like Ken uses this on the filter caps and wires.

- What can I use to clean my aluminum chassis? There seems to be a hazy film in spots.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
russoloco

Post by russoloco »

My cousin's boyfriend, who does body work for a living, recommends using laquer thinner, the stonger the better, to clean metal.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Omar wrote:gnugear - Yes, it is aluminum. Nik also offers stainless steel chassis.

Allenmy - I'd like to see your layout. I'm having trouble trying to layout the power supply. Since I'm trying to be as close to a real Trainwreck as possible, I'm going off the grainy pictures of the real TW in the Files section. The filter caps appear to sit on the bottom of the chassis and are not mounted to any board or terminal strip.

A couple of questions:

- What is the rubber stuff used to hold parts together and to keep them from vibrating? It looks like Ken uses this on the filter caps and wires.

- What can I use to clean my aluminum chassis? There seems to be a hazy film in spots.

Omar
Hi Omar. It looks to me that Ken used plain old hot glue from a hobby hot glue gun. I have one and use it to mount Filter caps on turret boards so the vibration don't bother them. It also works with wire to keep it on the chassis.

Use acetone to clean your aluminum chassis. That's what I used when I worked in a metal shop. Government inspectors were so picky about finishes! :lol:

I can't wait to hear your new Express maybe I'll have mine done then. I didn't use a real trainwreck when I laid out my power supply. I made a turret board the most logical way I could. I also think I saw a layout on this forum but can remember who did it. Sorry to the person who did it. I'm old and forgetful :?

Allynmey
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dobbhill

The long black capacitors

Post by dobbhill »

Are those disposable camera photoflash caps?
v00d00blues79

Post by v00d00blues79 »

How would I reference the chassis to Nik? I'm interested in buying one.

Thanks,

Andy
Omar

Post by Omar »

Allenmy - Thanks for the info. I'll try the acetone this weekend to clean up the chassis. Any tips on polishing to get rid of the small scratches without making swirl marks?

Andy - You get just tell Nik that you would like a chassis like the one he made for me. However, my chassis is a little bit smaller than the chassis spec'd out in the Files section due to my head cabinet being a little undersized so I had to make some adjustments.

Omar
Tone by misadventure
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Omar wrote:Allenmy - Thanks for the info. I'll try the acetone this weekend to clean up the chassis. Any tips on polishing to get rid of the small scratches without making swirl marks?

Andy - You get just tell Nik that you would like a chassis like the one he made for me. However, my chassis is a little bit smaller than the chassis spec'd out in the Files section due to my head cabinet being a little undersized so I had to make some adjustments.

Omar
Omar try usong "000" steel wool. It usually doesn't leave marks. If you've scraped it up pretty good already, you'll need to use an orbital sander and start with a grit that matches your biggest scratches. Work your way upto 600 grit, then polish with the "000" steel wool. You should end up with a mirror like finish. My firefly I cleaned up with a 300 grit rubbing block. I didn't try to make a mirror finish though...here's a pic.

Allynmey
Last edited by Allynmey on Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
doctord02

Post by doctord02 »

Omar, can we get the bbs software configured to better deal with large image files? Some sort of forced scaling or autosizing if beyond a max resolution? Not to pick on Allynmey, but every so often someone adds an image to a post that hasnt been resized for web display and it makes reading things kinda tough...

Thanks
v00d00blues79

Post by v00d00blues79 »

Omar - how much smaller is it? is it a real pain to squeeze the power supply in it?

Thanks,

Andy
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Good point Doc, I think this PHP-Nuke and it does have a pic resizer if I remember right. I will endeavor to resize prior to posting pics. Thes pics don't seem to be this big when I post the elsewhere. Who Knows...I hate computers. I own a computer business! :lol:

Allynmey

I removed the pic. I hate it when it does that too doc!
snide

Post by snide »

Hi guys,
The power supply in Allynmey's build is from a layout I drew up in Visio and posted earlier this year. The caps dobbhill asked about are available from Mouser, they look alot like flash caps. The power supply works great in my A1, however you have to have a large chassis to be able to use it. Mark A. has stated many times his dislike for my layout but the main thing is, it works. I originally posted it because many people have asked about a wreck p/s layout and it is still one of the few I have ever seen. The main thing as I have stated before, is to use it as a guide and do some re-arranging to reduce the footprint. I am working on a p/s for a Constellation type build at the moment and it has to be smaller so I hope that will give me some ideas on how to shrink the footprint.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Thanks for the layout Snide, I am getting old and can't remember where I get or put anything anymore. I like your layout and built 2 power boards from it. HeeBGB's power board is your layout also since I had both boards made by Ken at turretboards.com. Although it's a little big in it's current config, I like the openess and accesibility of the layout.

Allynmey