Express/Reverb

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

hans-jörg

Express/Reverb

Post by hans-jörg »

Hello,

I want to implement a LND150 Reverb into ma Express clone.
Where would be the best place? Direct in front of PI, with a second 0,022nF coupler?
So: 3rd stage out -0,022nF -reverb-0,022nF (PI in)

Best
Hans-Jörg
rooster

Re: Express/Reverb

Post by rooster »

Hans-Jorg, I think the best answer is: nowhere. Many here have looked at this and the circuit is just not that EFX circuit-insert friendly. My best suggestion is a TC Electronics Hall of Fame pedal at the front of the amp.

The overall problem is the high gain of the various stages. Think about it. If you reduce the gain somewhere to the point that it will drive a verb, then you have lost the magic of that gain overdriving that stage. At that point you might as well build a Fender BF amp.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
hans-jörg

Post by hans-jörg »

Thank you,
I think you are damned right :)

Hans-Jörg
Steve in Florida

Post by Steve in Florida »

Reverb in the circuit is a terrible idea...

I've tried in numerous ways, and failed miserably, always.

Here's how you succeed...

If you're a normal human, you need to play this amp with an attenuator anyway so you can crank it enough to let it do its thing...

So do this:

Get a BadCat Unleash. It's an attenuator with a built-in effects loop. This way, all your effects come AFTER the amp is doing is wonderful thing.

Or...

Realize that you don't need reverb. These amps sustain beautifully. No need to wet that up...

That's where I am now.

If you need reverb on a final mix, you can add it. But unless you're recording dry, you don't need reverb.

Hopefully my wasted hours going down this road will save you from a few hours going down the same roads...

Steve