Trainwreck Facebook Page

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Littlewyan

Trainwreck Facebook Page

Post by Littlewyan »

Anyone seen this?

https://www.facebook.com/TrainwreckAmpl ... on?fref=nf

There is a post on there for an Express amp that JM built. Its 18W using 2 x EL34s, doesn't have a bright switch but has a shielded input cable and a 'Clarity with overdrive' mod. A special bright cap circuit that can't be switched off maybe? Would like to know how he got 2 x EL34s down to 18W and still keep the clean to mean action. Hope some clips get released.
Colossal

Re: Trainwreck Facebook Page

Post by Colossal »

I wonder if he's running them in parallel single ended?
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Possibly. Although the photo of the rear of the amp shows what looks like a standard output transformer. Power Transformer however is centred with the output transformer and looks a bit larger than the originals. I thought the PT was always off centre? Interesting valve cover as well.

There is also another post talking about how Ken preferred the sound of hard wired power cords as opposed to the IEC socket. Not heard that one before.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Littlewyan wrote:Possibly. Although the photo of the rear of the amp shows what looks like a standard output transformer. Power Transformer however is centred with the output transformer and looks a bit larger than the originals. I thought the PT was always off centre? Interesting valve cover as well.

There is also another post talking about how Ken preferred the sound of hard wired power cords as opposed to the IEC socket. Not heard that one before.

So they are building them with an IEC. Just the opposite of what Ken thought was best.. I will agree with Ken, I don't like IEC sockets either.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Well I think thats the only one thats been built with an IEC so far. What don't you like about IEC sockets?
Richie

Post by Richie »

Littlewyan wrote:Well I think thats the only one thats been built with an IEC so far. What don't you like about IEC sockets?
Its not that I think they "sound" better. Usually the IEC cables are not very good quality, and smaller in size. Plus I have had amps here that had noise, because the molded plug not making a good ground contact. So you get the buzz etc. But as you say, you could have the best cables of any type, and the wall socket not have a ground, or not wired correctly.

I just like the heavy gauge, hardwired cable, over the IEC socket and molded cable end.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I'm guessing you saw my post before I edited it. I removed all that because I realised you didn't actually say they sound better. Sorry :D. I made my IEC cable using screened power cable, but tbh its overkill and way too thick. I know what you mean about the molded stuff. What you really want is the silicon cable thats really flexible. That stuff is great, but I'm not sure where to buy it from.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The JM builds look more and more like Ampgarage builds every time I see them including, Distortion style cabs, IEC and 18w versions. :lol:
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Another Trainwreck site The Trainwreck Circuits Amplifier Tribute Page, is a tribute page run by our friend Aaron Leone, who actually owns real Trainwreck amps.

https://www.facebook.com/TrainwreckCircuitsAmplifiers
rooster

Post by rooster »

I for one think it is great that there are finally FB references to Ken and his amps. Both of these sites look great with lots of pics and info. 8)

IMO, a big problem with TW as a company is that it has missed the free advertising that an 'open' attitude brings. There are so many people out there still that have never heard of Ken or his amps. It's a shame.

Thanks for this post.

As to the IEC connector I think it's a good thing. I seriously doubt whether Ken would object to the MM cables I bought recently.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

I agree, TW has sort of stayed under the radar in a way and with it Ken's legacy. I'm so glad that its a proper FB page with photos of amps going out, update posts and not just a dead page with a few photos.

I think its sad that Ken isn't around to see the support that home builders get with these forums and the range of parts available to us.
Last edited by Littlewyan on Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ampmike

Cabs

Post by ampmike »

I kinda just looked at the cabs,I did a few with mixed wood,Dark boxes and light maple valences.I see the cabs are mitered as well.Some of them looked really nice.I have a few getting ready now and let go of this one last month .One of my favorite wood is the ambrosia.Now I dont feel so bad making mitered cabs,it harder to do and hides end grain.That is the first time Ive ever seen a official JM build using some creative wood specias and combinations,Interesting :D
Custom Built Amps for Sale!http://faithamps.weebly.com/