Wreck Junior.

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

kec

Re: Wreck Junior.

Post by kec »

Allynmey wrote:you can zoom on this one.
Excellent!

Thanks Allyn!
Ken

Real guitars are for old people! - Cartman
Beerman

Post by Beerman »

slajeune wrote: http://www.sophtamps.ca/schematics/derail2.jpg

BTW, this is a page on my build of the derailment:

http://www.sophtamps.ca/mambo/index.php ... &Itemid=42

Cheers,
Stephane.
Ken

Check this link for the full derailment schem.... including an Octal mod. There is however no provision for an EL84, I think the idea was that this was to be a two tube project...... maybe one could mess around with values a little and use 6C10 (triple triode) with EL84...

Enjoy

graham

Post by kec »

Beerman wrote:
slajeune wrote: http://www.sophtamps.ca/schematics/derail2.jpg

BTW, this is a page on my build of the derailment:

http://www.sophtamps.ca/mambo/index.php ... &Itemid=42

Cheers,
Stephane.
Ken

Check this link for the full derailment schem.... including an Octal mod. There is however no provision for an EL84, I think the idea was that this was to be a two tube project...... maybe one could mess around with values a little and use 6C10 (triple triode) with EL84...

Enjoy

graham
Thanks Graham.

Allyn, What dimensions are the chassis you used?

Thanks
Ken

slajeune

Post by slajeune »

From my understanding, the Derailment was ment as a 2 tubes single ended wreckish design. It did work very well with an ECL86, but, as they are not produced anymore (and I was having a hard time finding a good one at a good price), I simply switched it to a 2 x 12ax7 and 1 x el84. As far as I remember, I didn't have to change the cathode resistor for the EL84. So, simply sub the ECL86 with an extra 12AX7 and an EL84.

I had planned to go that way from the get go but wanted to try the ECL86 (that is why you see an empty socket hole in the chassis). I will post a picture of the finished amp (in a 'matchless' style combo with a wooden faceplate).

The only mods that I have on it is the wreck / fender switch and a variable cathode on the 'cut' stage.

It is a very versatile amp!

EDIT: forgot to add this clip which shows a bit of the drive from this amp: http://www.sophtamps.ca/sounds/headphonebox/lineout.mp3

Cheers,
Stephane.
kec

Post by kec »

Allyn (or anyone else),

Can you give the dimensions of the boards?

Thanks
Ken

kec

Post by kec »

slajeune wrote:From my understanding, the Derailment was ment as a 2 tubes single ended wreckish design. It did work very well with an ECL86, but, as they are not produced anymore (and I was having a hard time finding a good one at a good price), I simply switched it to a 2 x 12ax7 and 1 x el84. As far as I remember, I didn't have to change the cathode resistor for the EL84. So, simply sub the ECL86 with an extra 12AX7 and an EL84.

I had planned to go that way from the get go but wanted to try the ECL86 (that is why you see an empty socket hole in the chassis). I will post a picture of the finished amp (in a 'matchless' style combo with a wooden faceplate).

The only mods that I have on it is the wreck / fender switch and a variable cathode on the 'cut' stage.

It is a very versatile amp!

EDIT: forgot to add this clip which shows a bit of the drive from this amp: http://www.sophtamps.ca/sounds/headphonebox/lineout.mp3

Cheers,
Stephane.
Thanks Stephane.

After a lot of thought, I think I've decided to go with the octal mod with 2 x 12AX7 (instead of the 6C10) and either 6V6 or EL34. One question: On page 2 it states to tie pins 1 & 8 together for EL34 compatibility. Can I leave pins 1 & 8 together permanently and switch between 6V6 and EL34? I assume I can, but, you know what they say about assume :D

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken

slajeune

Post by slajeune »

Hi Ken,

that is correct. If you connect pins 1 and 8 together you can use a 6V6 or an EL34. Pin 1 isn't used in a 6V6.

I haven't tried that mod, so I can't say how it sounds.

Cheers,
Stephane.
kec

Post by kec »

Allynmey wrote:Flip V1 and use the second triode first. That will get you a good start.
What exactly does flipping the triodes do? Better tone?

Thanks,
Ken

slajeune

Post by slajeune »

Hi Ken,

I haven't tried those mods either. They change the gain of each stage and in the case of the last stage (10k or 4.7k), it changes the 'cut' stage (i.e. loosy said, the amount of distortion or onset of distortion).

Cheers,
Stephane.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hmmm, I thought that flipping the triodes was just to enhance the layout - that the respective values stay the same. Which is it?
slajeune

Post by slajeune »

Doh,

sorry, misread the post.

You are correct, better layout. I should really pay more attention to the message :)

Cheers,
Stephane.
kec

Post by kec »

OK, I see it now. Thanks to Allyn's excellent hirez pic I can see the what the "flip" was.

Thanks.
Ken

kec

Post by kec »

Stephane,

On the octal mod page 2, would you also connect from pin 8 to the filament reference? It doesn't show it, but I assume you would.

Thanks,
Ken

slajeune

Post by slajeune »

Hi Ken,

that would be correct. Pin 8 connects to the filament reference. Basically, you reference the filament to the cathode of the power tube. If pin 8 is the cathode, you reference it to this pin. If pin 7 is the cathode, you reference it to this pin.

Cheers,
Stephane.
gkelm

Post by gkelm »

You build the coolest stuff. :)
Greg