More rocket fun

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

guitarmike2107

Re: More rocket fun

Post by guitarmike2107 »

I create an environment where the electrons flowing though each Crystal lattice cause the wires to bond together......

....and if that doesn't help then a little superglue here and there does the trick :wink:
Structo

Post by Structo »

Beautiful amp build!

I see you are in Scotland, the UK builders probably love your store.
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
nickt

Post by nickt »

:shock: I can see I'll have to build another Rocket. What a beautiful amp.
:)
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

Structo wrote:Beautiful amp build!

I see you are in Scotland, the UK builders probably love your store.

we do :D Mike's a great bloke too, very helpful.

Marcus
rp

Post by rp »

KF may be the patron saint here but this is the proper way to layout a Rocket. If I ever build a TW with a board I am totally ripping off your layout.
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Well here is the layout more or less. Use, change and rip off at your own free will, discretion and liability!

https://www.mediafire.com/?33jq4obxni3j0d2

Just make sure your filter caps and coupling caps will fit on the board, the board I made for Marcus (Norburybrook) had to be spaced slightly differently to accommodate the spragues and OD. Still the same overall length though.
http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28487

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

I have actually changed the heater wiring at the power valves. The red and black wires run up together now, just looks neater. ... I am not normally that OCD though.... honest 8)
brejna

Post by brejna »

Hi first post here and I am blown away with your build. Just awesome! Thanks for sharing layout.

EDIT: I think layout is missing 100pF cap on volume..
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Mike are you producing both Zwreck and Rocket style chassis? The photo on your web site looks like input on right ala-zwreck.
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

brejna wrote:Hi first post here and I am blown away with your build. Just awesome! Thanks for sharing layout.

Thanks, layout updated, I used 47of on a 500k pot, if it was a 1M pot I would use 100pf. I think the 500k pot has less noise though so I suggest you use that.

I have changed the first plate resistor to 120k on mine and added a 25k mid control and this is now my favorite amp for playing clean to gritty sounds, I need an attenuator to really crank it though.
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

M Fowler wrote:Mike are you producing both Zwreck and Rocket style chassis? The photo on your web site looks like input on right ala-zwreck.
Hi Mark, thanks for the heads up, that photo needs updated. I may have some mirrored chassis left but it is not my intention to offer a Z-wreck chassis.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

guitarmike2107 wrote:
brejna wrote:Hi first post here and I am blown away with your build. Just awesome! Thanks for sharing layout.

Thanks, layout updated, I used 47of on a 500k pot, if it was a 1M pot I would use 100pf. I think the 500k pot has less noise though so I suggest you use that.

I have changed the first plate resistor to 120k on mine and added a 25k mid control and this is now my favorite amp for playing clean to gritty sounds, I need an attenuator to really crank it though.

Yes it certainly doesn't need to be any brighter :D. its an incredibly chimey amp.

I agree with Mike, for clean/Bright and crunch this is the amp to have.

I always judge an amp with everything set at 12 o'clock and on this amp you need to use your volume control to back off to fully clean all the way to full on OD at these settings.

Fabulous amp :D

not for everything though, still prefer the Dumble 100w Bluesmaster for 'grown up' cleans. The Rocket is like an angry teenager :D

Marcus
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

guitarmike2107 wrote:
M Fowler wrote:Mike are you producing both Zwreck and Rocket style chassis? The photo on your web site looks like input on right ala-zwreck.
Hi Mark, thanks for the heads up, that photo needs updated. I may have some mirrored chassis left but it is not my intention to offer a Z-wreck chassis.
Okay that makes sense I wasn't sure if it was up side down for combo or zwreck :)

For the record USA builders Mike is very easy to work with on faceplate and chassis options, high quality products and shipping was very reasonable to USA.

I'm about out of those JCM800 chassis but thinking Marshall 100w chassis and custom plates :D

Mark
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Thanks for the plug Mark!

RE the combo, I can't imagine hanging the AC30 or even rocket trannies off an alu chassis would be a good idea, they are flipping heavy! not sure what Dr Z does, but if someone wanted a rocket combo I would go looking for a steel chassis or build in some hefty support for the power transformer

not for everything though, still prefer the Dumble 100w Bluesmaster for 'grown up' cleans. The Rocket is like an angry teenager Very Happy
for sure + I am going through the honeymoon phase still :P
andresound

Post by andresound »

Nice build Mike! Great sounding amp.

I am about to start a new rocket build.

Would the use of a 500k pot (volume), reduce the hiss level in an EXPRESS amp?
If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

Hi Andre, if the hiss is irritating you then that is one of the thing you can do to help, though it would be more of a factor if you are playing with the volume control cranked all the time, normally most guys would go for high quality metal film resistors for the plates to reduce hiss or try swap tubes as somes tube are just noisier than others.

What volume setting are you using for playing, if you are not playing cranked you could reduce the gain a bit at the front end, use a fast/slow switch similar to what Komet use. that will reduce hiss getting through to the power end

I am originally from Cape Town and one of my old gig mates is in Durbs, gigs regularly too