Rocket Speakers Suggestion

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

sliberty

Re: Rocket Speakers Suggestion

Post by sliberty »

nickt wrote:
sliberty wrote:I am big fan of transparent speakers with a Rocket. I use a 2x12 loaded with an EVM 12L and a JBL K-120. Killer sounding.
Snap! Used a single K-120 for years then switched to a EVM12L - best speaker on the planet 8)
And together, pure magic
Roe

Post by Roe »

I like the evm10/jbl e110 combo
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
brejna

Post by brejna »

Those are great speakers, but they cost little bit more then i would spend in this moment.. That is why I am interested WGS
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I've installed over 20 WGS Veteran 30 speakers in customer's amps and for my own personal amps. I love that speaker and get nothing but great reports back from customers. $69 plus shipping and not one failed speaker.

The Rocket loves this speaker.

Mark
Mark

Speakers again.

Post by Mark »

What are they like in a blonde Bassman cab?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Dmessick

Post by Dmessick »

Went over to a friend's house and played my rocket through both 1x12 and 2x12 cabs loaded with WGS Vintage 30s and felt like it was finally the sound I was looking for with this amp. Was skeptical of ceramic speakers but these will be what I'll be putting in my cab for this amp.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Dmessick wrote:Went over to a friend's house and played my rocket through both 1x12 and 2x12 cabs loaded with WGS Vintage 30s and felt like it was finally the sound I was looking for with this amp. Was skeptical of ceramic speakers but these will be what I'll be putting in my cab for this amp.
Great choice :D
brejna

Post by brejna »

It seems veteran 30s will win! But, that ET65/Vet30 buggs me little bit..
brejna

Post by brejna »

Finally speakers are here! I bought two Veteran 30s :)
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I've put a 30 watt Weber Alnico Blue Dog in my Rocket Reverb and really like it. I usually use Celestion Vin 30s but this is just as good. Will try a WGS some time soon.
rooster

Post by rooster »

If you're in the EU, buy the Celestion Blues. I made the mistake of avoiding these speakers after having heard the Weber 15 Alnico copy. The Weber can peel paint from 50 yards, ouch! When I finally tried the Celestion Blues in my Rocket I was totally impressed. They are smooth and voiced just right. A great speaker.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I agree. The Celestion Blues sound better than the Weber Alnico Blues. I got the Weber for the higher power rating needed in the Rocket. I put a Celestion Blue in my Princeton Reverb. Very nice.
DaveWell

Post by DaveWell »

Celestion Blue is rated 15W and the Rocket can deliver 30W power. You have to put 2 for sure. For one speaker Cab, a 50W Celestion Alnico Gold on 16 Ohm. For 2 speakers, 8 Ohms in series for 16 Ohm.

Celestion Alnico Gold 50W, 8 Ohm: laid-back attack, rounded low end and brilliant bell-like highs, deliver huge rhythm voicings and saturated vocal lead tones.

Celestion Creamback G12M-65, 65W, 8 Ohm: low end grunt complementing the warm and vocal mid range, crunchy upper- mids and sweet, refined highs.

The Blend, Gold / Creamback are very popular !

Just My 2 Cent !!!

Dave
Last edited by DaveWell on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

It really depends on what you want that Rocket amp for variety music with very little Rock I could get along with my 212 Celestion Blue Alnico but I changed that to 1 blue/1 gold.

I prefer the WGS Veteran 30 it covers everything nicely and I have never had a problem with a WGS speaker. The Veteran 30 is not as bright as the Retro 30 which is like the Celestion Vintage 30.

I run my Dr Z Stangray with the Dr Z 212 open back Celestion Alnico Blue and Alnico Gold very musical speakers and almost reverb like quality but I don't need that with my Rocket or Zwreck type circuits.
Turbojunkie

Post by Turbojunkie »

I've certainly been impressed with almost all of the WGS speakers I've owned or tried, the Veteran 30's sounded really nice with EL84 amps for sure, so hopefully they'll work out for you.

I've been really curious about the Black and Blue model, their take on the Celestion Alnico Blue, but I just couldn't find enough audio clips of them to pull the trigger on a pair. With the cost difference being small between the two brands, I ended up going with the Celestions just because I had some experience with them and knew what to expect.

TJ