I'm officially PO'ed

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stretch2011

I'm officially PO'ed

Post by stretch2011 »

So I'm building a rocket. It's 80% done. I have heard a lot of good things about edcor transformers. I spend the $180 for the set and wait 6 WEEKS. Yes I know they say it'll take that long but it still sucks waiting on it.

WOO HOO I get a shipment day. I receive the transformers! I open them up and they spell freshly painted and look beautiful! I set the pt and ot on the chassis to do the earphone test to see how much hum I'll be dealing with since the pt and ot are mounted fairly close and BAM. The f*cking power transformer hums so much I can hear it from 7 feet away and my ears have been ringing all day from grinding lawn mower blades this morning. No I am not just hearing the ringing in my ears either.

I went ahead and did the test with the expected results, so much hum it's ridiculous. Twirled the ot around 360 degrees and no luck. Isolated both transformers from the chassis with 2 desperate pieces of garolite, better but still way too much hum. Wrapped both transformers in aluminum foil, did nothing.

I am NOT pleased.
Littlewyan

Re: I'm officially PO'ed

Post by Littlewyan »

Did you buy them from RJ or direct from Edcor?
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

Direct from edcor.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Can you hear the hum coming directly from the PT? Or can you only hear it with earphones connected to the OT?
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

I can hear the hum, and sometimes a bit of crackling coming from the power transformer itself. Even when I stand roughly 7 feet away.
Littlewyan

Post by Littlewyan »

Oh ok then definitely contact Edcor and get it replaced. Hopefully they'll be able to get a replacement out to you quickly.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Wow to bad for you having to wait for another replacement.

I have had issues with one 100w PT from Edcor and they promptly sent me a new one. Had same issue with Heyboer so all I can say it happens.

Mark
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

I had this problem with weber. They happily sent me a working one after sending two bad ones.

I wouldn't mind waiting a week or so, but I'll be Pissed if I have to wait another 6 weeks.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

More than likely they made more than one when you ordered...
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
strelok

Post by strelok »

That sucks. Sounds like either something is loose allowing it to vibrate or a shorted winding maybe? Hard to imagine it would last very long if that where the case. From what little I know about transformer theory its hard to imagine a reason as to it making a lot of hum without drawing a lot of current.

Fwiw, aluminum foil will only shield from electrostatic interference (e.g. capacitive coupling). To shield from electromagnetic interference you need something ferrous like Steel or Mu-metal.
guitarmike2107

Post by guitarmike2107 »

unfortunately this does happen with all tranny makers and unless you get them to fully test them then there is a chance. of course we all probably expect them to be tested.... maybe something has happened in shipping too..

sorry for your pain
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Do you have a hum when the tranny is on the bench as well as in the chassis?

I've only had one bad one reported out of hundreds sold these past few years. They sent me a replacement no questions asked... in my experience they are really good folks but the delivery times are typically pretty long.

I keep a few of the more popular sizes in stock and give back most of my discount to active forum participants if you want to try one for the future.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

I didn't test the pt just on the bench. But I did isolate it from the chassis with a 3" piece of garolite which effectively is like it being on the bench. It still had way too much hum.

I'm expecting a reply from them today. Hopefully we will get thing a straightened out.

Thank you for the offer rj, I'll see how this pans out. If it goes badly I'll get back with you.
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

3 business days and still no reply.
stretch2011

Post by stretch2011 »

Alright.

They have had the returned transformer for 8 business days> I sent them an email and still no resonce.

Needless to say the all mighty EDCOR has lost my business, and gained a spokesperson against them.