New Trainwreck chassis' coming soon via RJ

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jelle

New Trainwreck chassis' coming soon via RJ

Post by jelle »

PSA: Recently I had a hard time to find correct Trainwreck chassis' for Express, Liverpool, and Rocket, so I started working with RJ from RJguitars.net to have new chassis designed that were up to the chassis I had received from Allyn Meyers (Allynmey at TAG) before.

The chassis that RJ already had were good but were lacking a few details.

The new chassis are much closer to the original Wreck chassis, are made from a thicker aluminum than the original BUD boxes that Ken used, and are currently in production. These should be available in a few via RJguitars.net.

:D
v846

Re: New Trainwreck chassis' coming soon via RJ

Post by v846 »

Jelle,

Will these be pretty much the same as Allyn's chassis or are there some changes?

thanks,
db
jelle

Post by jelle »

The idea was to make them close to Allyns. I had one of Allyns chassis here while creating the specs, but also kept a close watch on the wreck pics I had. Allyns chassis was *very* good but not perfect.

Jelle
v846

Post by v846 »

Cool, curious to see what you come up with.
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Jelle, given the difficulty in finding an IEC plug punch and Or all the manual labor involved in cutting one by hand- can you offer an optional version with and without the IEC?

I know "real" wrecks don't use them, but some may really like them better.
Ron
jelle

Post by jelle »

RJ already offered them with IEC. Having that removed was one of the critical changes I insisted on. IEC connectors have a ground connection that may get loose over time. I insist on a hard connected ground wire without risky connectors.

Look on the RJguitars.net website, the other chassis are there. Also with IEC if you prefer that.

jelle
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

I don't necessarily, but some do. My guess is that these new chassis will be much more like what I'm used to.

I've seen RJ's chassis, they're fine, but I thought some of your improvements might be better. Not sure.
Ron
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

jelle wrote:IEC connectors have a ground connection that may get loose over time. I insist on a hard connected ground wire without risky connectors
Hard to believe that an agency approved IEC connector would develop a loose ground contact!? The chassis mounted part of the connection is just a metal peg. If a problem were to develop, replacing the cord should take care of it. Maybe you are more interested in the vintage-correct appearance and the psycho-acousic effect thereof? ;^)
jelle

Post by jelle »

I have had issues with intermittent ground connections like that with my 80s Mashall, and Richie Hall has reported issues like that before.

I am convinced it is the plug-in cycles that is causing this, wearing out the contacts at the cable. I do not see a good reason for taking that risk. Risk is chance times effect, and the effect is huge.

I am not sure if Marshall used agency approved connectors, never looked into that. Or if the cable I used was the one marshall supplied. No idea.

For these chassis the objective was to create a vintage correct appearance. As much as was feasible, without having the flimsy BUD box remade. We made a stronger part instead with thicker alu. I am sure people will like them. :D
redshark

Post by redshark »

It all sounds good Jelle. Bud box was flimsy and although we don't want that,it is what it is. I hope the chassis is not way thicker than Allyn's.
The thin aluminum chassis had an effect with the sound. All the grounds go to the chassis. Just don't make it too thick!! :)
v846

Post by v846 »

Jelle,

Can you give us more details, chassis thickness, what holes will be drilled & will it use cage nuts like Allyn's chassis or you got something else in mind?

Thanks,
David
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

I had the first look at the new chassis this last week... fantastic craftsmanship but one major fabrication error. Somehow, in the the fab process they missed a critical detail and prepped their build documents to show the chassis as a mirror image of what my initial drawings provided... lots of lessons learned but the bottom line is that they agreed to remake the chassis'. I have offered to sell the mirror image chassis' (at a substantial discount) to help recover some of their costs. Look for these to show up in the "For Sale" section in the near future. I'll add a couple photos to give you an idea of how these turned out. I am supposed to pick the proper formed chassis next week. In the meantime if anyone has an interest in building a combo style Wreck amp I have a great candidate for a chassis.

Specs:
5052 Aluminum Alloy
.090 thick
Precision laser cut holes
TIG welded corners
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.