Liverpool with ECL82 instead of EL84

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

David Root

Liverpool with ECL82 instead of EL84

Post by David Root »

Started building this recently. Will be a half power L'pool as 4xECL82 (6BM8) adds up to 15W. Using 12AX7 pre-tubes, not the triodes in the ECL82s. Why 4xECL82, not 2x6V6? I have always been a fan of four power tube amps, but I don't need a 30W Liverpool.

My question is, in a 1x12 open back cab, would a "traditional" type TW speaker be good, or would the ECL82 work better with something different? I have a 1x12 with a G12 Blue in it but it's a bit bright and marginal on power handling with the dynamic TW circuit. I was thinking of a Scumback M75-65. Maybe a Celestion Gold or Creamback?
Last edited by David Root on Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I was a boy I was told that anyone could become President. I`m beginning to believe it--Clarence Darrow
Guy77

Re: Liverpool with ECL82 instead of EL84

Post by Guy77 »

Hi David. Here is what I am using.
I have a Liverpool clone (4xEL84) that I sometimes run as a 2xel84. I run a 1x12 celestion G12H65. The cabinet is from a 57 Tweed deluxe clone. 20W x 16.5H x 9.5D. I love how the amp sounds with this speaker in this size cabinet. It sounds especially good for soloing. Nice and punchy and not too trebly or harsh.
Overall I am very happy with how it sounds with my Strat and my Les Paul. I hear a lot of people here like how the G12M65 sounds, even less trebly I believe.

Happy speaker hunting.

Cheers!

Guy
David Root

Post by David Root »

A friend told me today he likes the G12-65 too on a Wreck. He didn't say if H or M, I will ask.

Update: He suggested the Scumback M75 PVC is worth a try. (PVC=Paper Voice Coil). A bit closer to the old pre Rola spec. Only rated 22W but that's OK in this case as my Liverpool will only be 15W.
When I was a boy I was told that anyone could become President. I`m beginning to believe it--Clarence Darrow
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

That sounds like it will work great.
I checked the specs and it is modelling the G12M series. I checked the sound samples on there site and they sound great for rock!

BTW is that a custom made SG style guitar in your avatar?

Cheers
Guy
David Root

Post by David Root »

I think I'll order one.

Yes, that is a custom SG Special I built 14 years ago. I modeled it on a beat up '65 SG Standard I had at that time. flame maple top cap, quilt and birdseye maple back cap, Madagascar rosewood f'board and my own wound P-90s. Neck goes thru the body to below the tailpiece.
Guy77

Post by Guy77 »

That's a really nice guitar! Must play like a dream. I really like how maple cap guitars sound ever since getting a Les Paul.
More and more I realise the only way to get exactly what you want is to make it yourself, guitars and amps!

Would be interested in hearing how the speaker works out for you!

Cheers