Wreck Iron.....trying to decide.

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Doxie man

Wreck Iron.....trying to decide.

Post by Doxie man »

Guys I am new here and am starting my first Wreck. I have built several other amps before so I know my way around the bench. Anyway.....I am either going to do a Liverpool or Express ( have not fully decided yet) and was wondering how the Classic Tone tranny set performs ? They are cheaper in cost than Pacific
and if they perform well I will buy a set. I have used Mercury, Heyboer, Hammond and Classic Tone in other builds and in all honesty.....every Classic Tone unit I have EVER used was ALWAYS a top performer so it is not a question of quality but of tone. If I decide to do an Express, I will most likey build it using 6v6 tubes to avoid the high volume levels and I happen to LOVE the 6v6 anyway. Sooooo.......give me your 2 cents worth (or the whole damn doller if ya' want to :)
jelle

Re: Wreck Iron.....trying to decide.

Post by jelle »

The originals used Pacific transformers, and the designer strongly believed it was a key aspect of the tone. That said, most people don't know what a real wreck sounds like, because they never been in a room with one.

I have yet to be disappointed by the larger Classictone iron. But if doing a wreck, why not get the Pacifics...unless you are doing one that is different, not sweating authenticity, and you are doing your own thing using different caps, pots, and yes...different transformers.

Either way it can sound great.
telentubes

Post by telentubes »

I would recommend talking to rj about iron. He has a few choices available at his site, rjguitars.net
Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

I am going to go with a pacific I think. Why mess with proven design 👍
Richie

Post by Richie »

Some evolved around the Stancor..
Decko

RJ Pacific Iron

Post by Decko »

Doxie man wrote:I am going to go with a pacific I think. Why mess with proven design 👍
+1 on RJ Pacific Iron!