Building The Rocket :)

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

DaveWell

Re: Building The Rocket :)

Post by DaveWell »

take a look on McMaster Carr
Wire, 600V AC, 20 Gauge
item code: 8428T3
brejna

Post by brejna »

Thank you guys for the suggestions, I just ordered wire from tube-town. Update comin soon.. :)
tony hunt

Post by tony hunt »

a bit late, but I use the high voltage Hookup Wire LIH/125 from Tube Town mostly.

I have mentioned it on this site before, but it is not so well known outside of the UK. It is very thin and has some form of advanced sleeving that gives the HV rating. It strips really well and has a kind of secondary woven stranding around the stranded core which virtually eliminates stray strands. It stays fairly well in place, better than teflon, but of course not as well as solid core.

You can get a better price if you buy bulk from RS components. But try a small length from Tube Town first. Hooking up is kind of a personal preference thing.

I got into using thinner wire after seeing the work that Greg Burman used to do in his amps from about forty years ago.
Finom1

Post by Finom1 »

Hello,
Does anyone have a schematic of this build?

Thank you!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

It's just a Trainwreck Rocket with filter caps on the board rather then stacked like logs.

Trainwreck File Section: Rocket data
brejna

Post by brejna »

I got all parts now and an idea cross my mind, to add half power switch (like ceriatone did).. Does it worth doing and is it really half power switch?
brejna

Post by brejna »

Little update..

brejna

Post by brejna »

I know this is slowest build ever :) But I need some help.. What is best way to attach chassis to cabinet? Here are pics of my DIY chassis and Cab.

sonicmojo

Post by sonicmojo »

That's a tight fit!

If it were me, my quick solution would be to drill holes in the lip and find some wing nuts that self-wedge and tighten.

.....but I think rivet nuts are the only thing that may fit on that small lip without protruding sideways as a more elegant solution.
---------
Bryan
brejna

Post by brejna »

Thanks for the fast reply, I appreciate it. I might do exactly as you described, I will check in shops what they offer..
brejna

Post by brejna »

Just another update.. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
brejna

Post by brejna »

It is finished.. :) I still need to clearcoat cabinet and sort few issues..

I have 120 cycle hum and sometimes amp goes quite, then I swap preamp tubes positions amd everything is ok.. What might cause this?

Cheers
Brane
Last edited by brejna on Fri May 12, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

does the swapping fix it itself or is it a tube issue? (meaning does the noise always come back, but swapping tubes fixes it? Or does it only exist when a specific tube is in a specific socket?). If it's the tube, then some tubes are best not in V1 as they're more noisy/microphonic and that's the most important tube in the signal chain. If it keeps coming back and reseating does it, then it may be you need to check that all pins are well soldered with no dry soldered connections, as the reseating may temporarily move the pin to some specific location that's good, but as soon as you play through it a while, vibrations cause it to move a bit and become less optimal. Use a wooden chopstick and see if specific pins or other components make it go away or come back too. That is where it may need to be re-soldered.
tUber Nerd!
brejna

Post by brejna »

Yes swapping fixes the issue of quiter signal.. Since that I didn't have issue with it, so I will track that.
About hum, it is not in signal if I can say like that.. It can be heard when I engage bypass switch.. Is it grounding problem?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

yes 120hz hum is almost always a grounding problem. I usually chopstick all of my grounds and make sure I don't get any noise, if I do, I desolder it, clean up the joint area, maybe even put some flux on it, and then re-solder. Sometimes a simple reflow does the trick, but I figure if it's not happy, do it over even better than before.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!