18W Liverpool ?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Doxie man

Re: 18W Liverpool ?

Post by Doxie man »

Yes....my numbers seem to be in good order. There are a few changes I am considering with this circuit to tune it more to my liking.
1. Change the input grid stops on the EL84's from 1.5k to 8.2k (this is the traditional value in the Marshall 18w and it helps control/suppress blocking distortion in the power tubes. It smooths out the drive a touch. A worthwhile mod IMHO 👍 The overdrive in the Liverpool seems to be more "wild" and unfocused as opposed to other EL84 powered circuits and I prefer more of a Marshall-esque type of drive.
2. I am going to run V1 as a paralleled triode . Again this is a way to tame the circuit a tad.

I like most of what the Liverpool does but I also found some things I don't like. Smoothing/relaxing this circuit a little should yield something I can really love 👍 The chimney cleans and pushed tones are just fantastic but the all out rock& roll tones are better to my ears through a Marshall circuit. If I can keep the dynamics/cleans/sparkle of the Liverpool and add in a more Marshall type of overdrive.....I'll be pretty damn happy. I like this circuit....don't get me wrong....I am just looking to tune it to more MY TASTES 👍