Wreck Head Cab

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jferris5

Wreck Head Cab

Post by jferris5 »

I'm looking at different head cabs that were built for various projects. While I'd love to make a dovetail cab I'm not sure i'm quite ready yet. Although i have some scrap wood to practice with.

I like the simple look of the miter joint as well. For those that have built a cab with miter joints how its this held together. Are you just gluing them together? Or are you using some hidden dowels along with the glue?

If you properly glue the 45's together can you expect it to hold well or would you also suggest reinforcement?

I've read stories of people gluing 2x4's together with titebond and then smashing the 2x4 over their sawhorse and the glue joint held up while the 2x4 broke elsewhere.

Thanks,
M Fowler

Re: Wreck Head Cab

Post by M Fowler »

I mitered the corners and used biscuits/glue to hold them together.
jferris5

Post by jferris5 »

Thanks. I've been eyeballing a biscuit joiner. It gives me a reason to buy a new tool :).
DaveMon

Post by DaveMon »

So, no reservations about the whole amps weight.........supported by a couple of biscuits and glue?... I guess I overbuilt mine, with stiffners in each corner, for added strength............ but then again I'm a metal guy.......
Anyone use those kreg jig things?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

My biscuits and glue cabs have stayed together after all these years.

I ordered a Marshall cab from Splawn once and it was put together by Craig pocket holes.
Last edited by M Fowler on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Biscuit joints are apparently much stronger than you are think... They are usually stronger than the wood itself. Don't be limited by thinking otherwise.
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

I prefer dowelling 👍 There are many great jiggs out there that make the process easy 👍