Rockster KT66 schem/layout ?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Re: Rockster KT66 schem/layout ?

Post by dorrisant »

Don' t be an ass... it will get you nowhere around here.

Read this whole thing first, then think about it. Make notes.. Are the schem and layout verified...?

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7300
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

It's over....done with. Let's move on shall we ?
Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

pompeiisneaks wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:53 pm Telentubes, thanks for editing your post, I appreciate it!

Doxie man, you're new here like me, so I'd suggest trying not to push it much more, you've now got 3 different old hat's here not impressed (per what I've read in this thread) and I don't see your tone changing. Per what joeboo88 said, stop trying to enflame the discussion and stick to the topic at hand please.

At this point that's the last time I'm asking nicely.

~Phil
I concur....so let's stop bringing up shall we ?.....time to drop the subject and move on 👍
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

Here is what I believe is the latest greatest in Rockster documentaion... the hard part for me with all my amp designs and even the builds themselves is leaving them alone. There is always another experiment or a perceived improvement but these docs should be Rock Solid documentation of what I built at this point.

The one I believe really takes the guess work out of documentation is to include rev numbers and dates. Ultimately I plan to have all of my original designs documented in their final form on my own website... One of my intended retirement projects. Look for the rev 5 documents in the future and they will be the "ready for prime time" docs that we want to see... don't hold your breath though.

Amp forums are often random in the protocol of where you put your documentation - do you put it on page one and update it as it develops or do you put the updates in order as you go? Then whatever rules you create will not be strictly adhered to anyway so I suggest you post your build documents with a "Work in progress" label until the final iteration is done. This way if there is a mistake folks have a hint to look at closely if they are following your notes and then you have a chance to fix it - thus the rev numbers really help.

Finally, I had to learn to be willing to endure whatever criticism comes up because as soon as I post something then anyone can repost it and take away the option of editing that copy of it... this can be sorta sucky when you make a mistake. You gotta be thick skinned and just go forward, fix it, rev the drawing and post up the next iteration.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

how does this version compare sonically to the original Rocket RJ ? Is it darker in tone ? And....isn't that 80uf filter putting a tremendous strain on that GZ34 rectifier bottle ? Max for that tube is 60uf ! I may be wrong or missing something but that looks wrong to me. I never exceed 50uf for that tube personally and when running a choke ( as this circuit does) why on earth is so much filtering needed ? Again.....what am I missing here ??
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

RJ,

THANK YOU for your generous and consistent contributions to the forum! You have been remarkable in how much you have impacted the forum in a positive way. I also appreciate your comments in your last post about risking criticisms of others when you are trying to help. It makes your generousity even more noteworthy.

With respect, 10thtx
Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

I agree......good fellow 👍
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

On a philosophical note, I think when we post something that it's appropriate to strive for accuracy and excellence. Sometimes we can pull that off and other times there will be some error .......... or differences in viewpoints, experience and how we approach amp building.

So as an adult and forum member, I view what is shared here to me in knowledge as a generous gift & privilege that I am not entitled to. And that I have a responsibility to research (what is posted) for accuracy & to make sure it is "correct" before I use it. And I think I am responsible for my own outcomes if I choose to use information that isn't accurate & especially if I have not taken the time to research it out.

Others may have a different viewpoint, but this is how I approach the information that is shared here.

With respect, 10thtx
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

10thTx wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:28 am On a philosophical note, I think when we post something that it's appropriate to strive for accuracy and excellence. Sometimes we can pull that off and other times there will be some error .......... or differences in viewpoints, experience and how we approach amp building.

So as an adult and forum member, I view what is shared here to me in knowledge as a generous gift & privilege that I am not entitled to. And that I have a responsibility to research (what is posted) for accuracy & to make sure it is "correct" before I use it. And I think I am responsible for my own outcomes if I choose to use information that isn't accurate & especially if I have not taken the time to research it out.

Others may have a different viewpoint, but this is how I approach the information that is shared here.

With respect, 10thtx
Thanks 10thtx for saying what I couldn't come up with in my own limited mental capabilities :mrgreen: ~ I wanted to bring a hammer and start smacking, but that's not right
thanks again
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

rj is the cream of the crop... We need to clone him. :D
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
redshark

Post by redshark »

I have always be interested in the rockster KT66....Are there any youtube videos or demos on this amp?
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

on the build thread there is an mp3, halfway down the page

http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=75
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Once again RJ goes the extra mile. Respect.
Highly recommended straight in or as a pedal platform Redshark.
Why Aye Man
Mark

Post by Mark »

I noticed the output transformer has a duel primary, 5.2K and 6.6K what is the story there?

When this type of transformer is used with a Liverpool amp it changes the amp from bluesy to a rock amp.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

I initially had these wound to the Heyboer TrainWreck specs, which at the time had both primary taps. My thought was that this OT might work in an Express or Liverpool. I found that they were a little too clean and flavorless for an Express amp on either tap but I sorta liked them on the 5.2K in a Liverpool. Edcor really directs their stuff to the HiFi community so some of that makes sense. I had the same tranny wound with a 4.3K tap that sounds really good in a Rocket...
This tranny sounds really nice in the Rockster on both the Taps but I think the 6.6K is my favorite because it does seem to have a little more blues funk.
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/