Those that have built a Z Wreck & a Rocket...comparisons?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Doxie man

Those that have built a Z Wreck & a Rocket...comparisons?

Post by Doxie man »

Although both are very similar, how do they stack up against each other ? Your preferences and why ? I know the history on the Z Wreck so no need to go into that. I am just talking circuit vs. circuit here.........GO
Blackburn

Re: Those that have built a Z Wreck & a Rocket...comparisons?

Post by Blackburn »

The Z only has about three differences from the Rocket.... 1) Second stage bypass cap 2) A voltage divider at the PI entrance and 3) The comfort/speed switch that changes the plate voltage by about 40 volts or so.

The Rocket has a more pristine clean sound and doesn't break up as much as early. You can easily add a switch to modulate between stock and Z specs. I've done both and prefer the Rocket myself, but with those changes, the heavier overdrive is very nice and rich and can be had at lower volumes. The cleans weren't as nice, as I recall. I'd suggest that switch to have both because they both are cool and it will then be more versatile.
Blackburn

Post by Blackburn »

Almost forgot.... the resistors on the B+ rail are not the same as the Rocket and are set up like a traditional AC30.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

The original Zwrecks or Version 1 had lighter B+ filtering on the preamp stages, which have been increased slightly since. Also, now using M150 coupling caps rather then the custom DrZ orange drops for V1 Zwreck.

I find my Zwreck clone softer and darker then my TW Rockets.
Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

I concur with your findings as well Mark. I played around a bit with my Rocket circuit a little and moved it over towards a Z Wreck (filters in parallel, Extra 220k to ground at PI INPUT) I found I like brighter/livelier Rocket tone better. I do like a little less filtering to add a little more " bounce" in the feel so I have rebuilt my PS to 47/47/16/16/16. I did away with the 1k and ordered the Hammond 158L choke . I left the extra 220k to ground at the PI , dropped the PI input cap down to .01uf to smooth out the drive a tad and increased the output cap on the PI to .1uf. (This sounds better IMHO). All signal caps reduced to .022uf. Second gain stage bypassed with a 1uf on a toggle. First coupler increased to .001uf ala MATCHLESS LIGHTNING 👌. Treble cap increased to 500pf. Mid cap (inline with 10k resistor) reduced to .0022uf. All these changes have a very nice accumulative effect. The choke I think will be the iceing on this cake 👌
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

For my Zwreck clone

I used the 280/50 TWPT HTS-9144
HTS-8093-1 470 MOD OT
Hammond choke 159Q 7h 150mA
Doxie man

Post by Doxie man »

I went with the Classic tone TW PT and OT. Good iron IMHO. I use CLASSIC TONE on most of my amp builds. They have always worked well for me on everything I build 👍 I am using the 260-0-260 tap